Why am I not losing weight or improving bg?

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try the avocado and nuts if you're looking for cals
I'm of the opinion it's not the calories but the type of calories. I prefer mono/ plant fats over saturated and dairy fat. They are harder to burn.
Ok I will Thanks for the advice. I have made some mixed nuts and seeds, sesame, pumpkin, linseed, pine nuts, walnuts, cashews, almonds and some goji berries. I tried a high protein lidle roll - I never would have believed how happy a sandwich could make me after weeks of no bread 90 mins later at 8.1 which is good for me. Hopefully if I can get overall levels down this will come down too. I will only have one now and again as a treat. I am upping my exercise and have got the Fung obesity code so hope to discover the secret! Have a great weekend peeps

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it's worth a go Kristin. I think the majority of my high cals dairy. I would be quite low cal without cream and cheese. Hmmmm.... Interesting Thanks x

If you are low carbing, forget the calories. You need to look into Jason Fung and adapt your diet according to his advice. I think you're not eating enough and need to up your fat intake. Your body has adapted to the restricted calories and has adjusted its metabolic output as a result. I've been doing that for years and my body is shagged as a result

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Be at peace little one... All will be revealed and then you will know what to do to take action:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
Dietician said I'd added weight but that's since canagliflozin messed up my insulin needs and weight losing activity.
As far as I'm concerned since coming off canagliflozin on the 9th May i have lost from 131.00kgs to 127.70kgs = 6.25lbs. Shame all they see is no loss.
Im seeing her again in 9 days time for her to check my weight loss. I feel so under pressure/stressed to lose, otherwise she will not believe i can lose weight on lchf.
She has asked me to do a GI diet til 27th June. Ive said yes but decided to continue on lchf as food already in and cannot afford changing my diet and waste food. Im sick of being messed around and need some stability to lose weight.
Im going to put my foot down at next hospital appointment as even my body is up and down because of trying canagliflozin tablet. Im losing on reducing insulin and maybe metformin try again might help my hormones.
Very good dietician and optimistic but wants me on GI diet, filled with fruit. Banana, apples, oranges and seeded breads. Porridge spikes me too.
I might have higher cholesterol as had more dairy this past month but less than last month. Next week results will reveal the truth.
I've also decided to insist on changes being put in a 3 month block as that is the only way the blood tests can prove any improvement.
I'm doing everything i can, my end.
Im only getting consistency from my dn. Roll on the 27th appointment.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would refuse to see anyone who'd want to fill me with carbs like that. Outdated info and GI makes no consideration for portion size....

Dairy won't cause higher cholesterol on its own, unless you're taking excess and the lactose is upping your carb intake.

Good luck x

----------

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I would refuse to see anyone who'd want to fill me with carbs like that. Outdated info and GI makes no consideration for portion size....

Dairy won't cause higher cholesterol on its own, unless you're taking excess and the lactose is upping your carb intake.

Good luck x

----------
Thanks @Debmcgee . All forum posters on lchf cannot be wrong.

Success stories need a re-read by me, i think. They really screw up your hard work. If you let them. ;)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Success stories need a re-read by me, i think. They really screw up your hard work. If you let them. ;)

Good idea on the reread.... Will help keep your determination upbeat and boosted:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@ickihun, don't let them.
Unless someone has been in a similar situation they cannot understand. There are several women I can think of in here , myself included, who have had similar difficulties with health and HCPs that you have. Read up, and become your own expert. There will be a solution. Sometimes HCPs just go with the one size fits all script. Don't let them wear you down.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @Pipp .
Still losing weight so most carbs not for me. Reduced protein and i still use fat for flavour.

Cannot wait for my weigh-in on friday.
I've noticed I have no carb cravings any more. I think the best thing about lchf diet. I'm still not a fantastic creative cook but I get by.
Keeping vegtables in always helps.
Wish I could convert my partner to vegtables, excluding potato.

A shock might be needed but he's had too many of them already.
Converting partner will be the turning point in our house!

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dietician said I'd added weight but that's since canagliflozin messed up my insulin needs and weight losing activity.
As far as I'm concerned since coming off canagliflozin on the 9th May i have lost from 131.00kgs to 127.70kgs = 6.25lbs. Shame all they see is no loss.
Im seeing her again in 9 days time for her to check my weight loss. I feel so under pressure/stressed to lose, otherwise she will not believe i can lose weight on lchf.
She has asked me to do a GI diet til 27th June. Ive said yes but decided to continue on lchf as food already in and cannot afford changing my diet and waste food. Im sick of being messed around and need some stability to lose weight.
Im going to put my foot down at next hospital appointment as even my body is up and down because of trying canagliflozin tablet. Im losing on reducing insulin and maybe metformin try again might help my hormones.
Very good dietician and optimistic but wants me on GI diet, filled with fruit. Banana, apples, oranges and seeded breads. Porridge spikes me too.
I might have higher cholesterol as had more dairy this past month but less than last month. Next week results will reveal the truth.
I've also decided to insist on changes being put in a 3 month block as that is the only way the blood tests can prove any improvement.
I'm doing everything i can, my end.
Im only getting consistency from my dn. Roll on the 27th appointment.
I got the metformin. I restart it late next week. Gp needs to process it.
I'm optimistic.
I lost 2 stone when I was on it last time.
Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4 people

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I have just got my hba1c results 8.6 (71) down tto 6.9 (52) I'm still struggling to lose weight but I'm not really accurately counting carbs! Am def low carb but need to track closely now. I lost a bit of motivation after my hols but am now determined to get back on it. See DN next week for a chat hopefully she will agree to retest later in year. Meanwhile I'm going to try longer fasts.

Cheers D

Reactions: 6 people

JenniferG

Hello

I have just got my hba1c results 8.6 (71) down tto 6.9 (52) I'm still struggling to lose weight but I'm not really accurately counting carbs! Am def low carb but need to track closely now. I lost a bit of motivation after my hols but am now determined to get back on it. See DN next week for a chat hopefully she will agree to retest later in year. Meanwhile I'm going to try longer fasts.

Cheers D
Debbie,

Do you have an iPhone? I use an excellent app called MyNetDiary that tracks everything for me. Everything I eat including calories, total carb grams, net carb grams, protein grams, fat grams, blood glucose tests, insulin injections, medications, blood pressure, exercise and on and on. .. oh also weight. It's a very handy app. What do you use to track everything? I record everything I eat. Do you use a journal at all?

How's it going? You doing the intermittent fasting still? I did it for 25 days perfectly, switched back to grazing for a few days because I felt like changing things up.. I'll probably do this a week then go with the 48 hour fast or something. Then probably back to intermittent fasting. Just want to see how my body handles grazin' LCHF. See if the blood sugars are about as good. I definitely don't want to stay grazing for too long.

I quit metformin 4 days ago, so far so good.. blood sugars are the same.. I guess I'll figure out what the full effect of quitting will be after about 2 weeks to 2 months. It was giving me chronic diarrhea.. not one solid bowel movement for like 30 dyas. Now that I am off, I am having beautiful bm's now :) Started taking a probiotic today as well.

So I am now oral med & insulin free :) Feel pretty good to be able to keep blood sugar 110-135mg/dl all day with no meds, when just a little over 2 months ago, for four years straight my A1C has been 9-11. Projected A1C now is 5.8. I weigh 379 lb now (27 stone), lightest I've been since 1999 :)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JenniferG
Hi Jennifer
I was using myfitnesspal as it tracks fats, cals, protein, carbs, weight loss and exercise but not bg. But people kept saying it's not accurate and carbs and cals app good. I downloaded this for £3.99 and I honestly don't understand it. When you try set the profile for carbs it changes the other micros itself! I have had ups and downs, I started dieting after Xmas and lost 11 lbs then my DN was threatening more meds so I decided to low carb without doing enough research. I didn't lose anything! I then tried 16/8 then 20/6 fasts every day which shifted another 5 lbs, then upped and downed with 3/4 lbs. but I did go on holiday and had a few things I shouldn't. I've gone back to 16/8 this week and lost nothing. I'm pleased with bloods but need to lose more weight. I am going to try to change my fats and have a bit less dairy and nut fats to more olive oil, olives and avocado, include cider vinegar and do a couple of 24 hour fasts and try not to drink so much wine! But that's what I hate to give up completely, I only drink twice a week lol. I do have iPhone will have a look at your app tomorrow. Anyway well done you, that's great news. I'm sure I will get there it's just finding the right balance. I just want to be Kevin Potts right now Sooo jealous lol.
Debbie x

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JenniferG
Hi Jennifer
I was using myfitnesspal as it tracks fats, cals, protein, carbs, weight loss and exercise but not bg. But people kept saying it's not accurate and carbs and cals app good. I downloaded this for £3.99 and I honestly don't understand it. When you try set the profile for carbs it changes the other micros itself! I have had ups and downs, I started dieting after Xmas and lost 11 lbs then my DN was threatening more meds so I decided to low carb without doing enough research. I didn't lose anything! I then tried 16/8 then 20/6 fasts every day which shifted another 5 lbs, then upped and downed with 3/4 lbs. but I did go on holiday and had a few things I shouldn't. I've gone back to 16/8 this week and lost nothing. I'm pleased with bloods but need to lose more weight. I am going to try to change my fats and have a bit less dairy and nut fats to more olive oil, olives and avocado, include cider vinegar and do a couple of 24 hour fasts and try not to drink so much wine! But that's what I hate to give up completely, I only drink twice a week lol. I do have iPhone will have a look at your app tomorrow. Anyway well done you, that's great news. I'm sure I will get there it's just finding the right balance. I just want to be Kevin Potts right now Sooo jealous lol.
Debbie x

7 day fast?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JenniferG
I just want to be Kevin Potts right now Sooo jealous lol.
Debbie x
No you don't, he is Methuselah's dad!! Seriously you need to be you, keep testing and tweaking and you will find the balance that works for you, and only you. Patience is a virtue with this bodily malfunction.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One night if eating dairy I gain a few pounds overnight. I have ,earned nuts wifi cause gain but more slowly. Once I stop them I drop.

So good plan. I have no gain with avocado olive oil or mayo

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One night if eating dairy I gain a few pounds overnight. I have ,earned nuts wifi cause gain but more slowly. Once I stop them I drop.

So good plan. I have no gain with avocado olive oil or mayo
Yep kristin, I lose more when I eat salads and protein with nice dressings and avocado and maybe a few walnuts or almonds but I love cooking and baking and have made peanut cookies, muffins etc and I think the nut flours are just too much for me alongside too much cream and cheese. But when I dropped to 1200 cals lost nothing so it's getting the balance. I think having eggs at 2 and meat & veg/salad at 6/7 plus a few flax crackers if really still hungry after might work. Anyway watch this space.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No you don't, he is Methuselah's dad!! Seriously you need to be you, keep testing and tweaking and you will find the balance that works for you, and only you. Patience is a virtue with this bodily malfunction.
Patience is a virtue indeed - one that I do not possess!

JenniferG

@JenniferG
Hi Jennifer
Debbie x
Yeah Kevin has had such great success hasn't he? Also check out this link -- she's had amazing success:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-life.81469/page-449#post-1208288

Hang in there! Whatever you do don't eat too many carbs on a restricted calorie diet, that's the only thing that puts you into "starvation mode". If the doc allows you could try a 36 hour fast or something.. don't know if your meds allow for this. I've heard it helps reset the metabolism if your's is slowed down. The LCHF and intermittent fasting you've been doing should of done that.. assuming you aren't eating too many sweets or whatever. Let me know how you're doing okay? Look forward to you having great success as well :)

Jennifer

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooking was my hobby. Ditched it. No control. I made great foods with nut flours and coconut but it all went to my bum. Haha.

Now I just keep it all simple. Cook proteins in bulk and freeze. I miss cooking but still love my foods

Best to you...

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cooking was my hobby. Ditched it. No control. I made great foods with nut flours and coconut but it all went to my bum. Haha.

Now I just keep it all simple. Cook proteins in bulk and freeze. I miss cooking but still love my foods

Best to you...

I suspect the baking too. I have made ice cream for a little treat instead I think simple cooking way forward until I lose weight and keep it off. X