Why am I not losing weight or improving bg?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I strongly suggest you read Jason Fungs website or his book The Obesity Code before you do much fasting. Please don't rely on hearsay on here for instructions!

In some ways tit is as easy as stopping eating. In others there is a lot to understand - the role of insulin and cortisol, the calorie nonsense. Etc. Etc.

Worth doing some homework first :)

I totally agree.

I read Fung's book first, all his 8 videos on fasting, got my mind and protocol well understood and set up before I embarked even on my 42 hours fasts.

All mine are under medical supervision as part of a carefully controlled, well formulated 12 weeks LCHF diet.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been doing Mon, Wed, Fri.
On Sun night i eat my evening meal, then just drink tea, coffee, herb tea, broth and water until Mon evening meal.
So the fast runs from 7pm to 7pm.

But of course it is totally flexible and needs to fit your life. I won't be fasting weekends. The weekday routine has a nice structure that makes it easier (for me).

Jason Fung allows small amounts of cream in coffee while fasting, and i started with that, plus a dash of cream in my chicken broth at lunchtime. But today i actually forgot the cream. Quite incredible...
I love seeing your posts. Your enthusiasm and energy to conquer this programme is what encourages me to keep going. I'm not doing IF but after this I won't say never.
I guess you have the resolute of the Romans. They fasted too. Well done @Brunneria .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp
I have only discovered this too. Research Jason Fung - v interesting. I'm trying 16/8 daily,,so you eat 2 meals in an 8 hour window. Was going well with results last week but fell off the waggon at weekend as was away. Back on it today. Good luck.
Thanks.I have done fasts before. Mainly Newcastle diet method. Have also done several 16 hour fasts. Have been considering doing that again, so it helps to have info from others doing the same.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I strongly suggest you read Jason Fungs website or his book The Obesity Code before you do much fasting. Please don't rely on hearsay on here for instructions!

In some ways tit is as easy as stopping eating. In others there is a lot to understand - the role of insulin and cortisol, the calorie nonsense. Etc. Etc.

Worth doing some homework first :)
Fully agree with this. Would never embark on any changes in eating plan without first looking at the research, applying those findings to my own individual circumstances, particularly other medical issues, but it is also a help to compare notes with others here doing the same.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love seeing your posts. Your enthusiasm and energy to conquer this programme is what encourages me to keep going. I'm not doing IF but after this I won't say never.
I guess you have the resolute of the Romans. They fasted too. Well done @Brunneria .
Oh blimey! Didn't the Romans gorge and have vomitariums as well?

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so at 83 hours...now into o day 4 I was 4.4:)

That's great Good for you Kevin. You have done brilliantly. I might try it myself. I suppose it's a short term thing or you would end up nutrient deficient. I just need to get bg down and lose weight. It's driving me nuts. My trouble is I like a few glasses of wine at weekend. A girls got to have some fun! I've already given up bread, chocolate, sweets and jacket spuds! I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'm not gaining any and I am feeling more energetic but I'm not losing weight either. Bg come down from average 8.6 to between 7 and 7.5 with the drafted dawn phenom usually between 8 and 9 and sometimes even 10. I have been diabetic for around 12 years so I guess insulin resistance is stubborn Will keep trying until I find the magic formula for me!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great Good for you Kevin. You have done brilliantly. I might try it myself. I suppose it's a short term thing or you would end up nutrient deficient. I just need to get bg down and lose weight. It's driving me nuts. My trouble is I like a few glasses of wine at weekend. A girls got to have some fun! I've already given up bread, chocolate, sweets and jacket spuds! I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'm not gaining any and I am feeling more energetic but I'm not losing weight either. Bg come down from average 8.6 to between 7 and 7.5 with the drafted dawn phenom usually between 8 and 9 and sometimes even 10. I have been diabetic for around 12 years so I guess insulin resistance is stubborn Will keep trying until I find the magic formula for me!

What kinda of foods are you eating? How many carbs? Dairy? Grains?
I wouldn't give my wine up either.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Well done..you are defo doing the right things but because you've been T2 for quite a while, your resistance may be more stubborn, but stick at it.

Finished my 4 day fast half hour ago and enjoyed my dinner:)

Lower those carbs and up the fat and the weight should come off:)

Reactions: 5 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
By the way, Ive been dry for 9 weeks now, just 3 more to go then there is a nice Ozzy Shiraz waiting to be guzzled:)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are we worried about calories in eggs?! As long as we eat sensibly and low carb, then we don't need to worry about calories...

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, Ive been dry for 9 weeks now, just 3 more to go then there is a nice Ozzy Shiraz waiting to be guzzled:)

I don't miss alcohol. I have a mini bottle of prosecco in the fridge in case of emergency but have so far refrained....but never say never!!

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Seeing dietician tomorrow. My doctors practice have me weighing less than my scales. Hope dietician's say the same.
If I've added weight I will have to rethink my diet. It isn't perfect but had a few birthdays to celebrate since last appointment.
Oh and a bereavement.
In fact it will be a miracle if I haven't added weight.
I'm sure I haven't thou.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Seeing dietician tomorrow. My doctors practice have me weighing less than my scales. Hope dietician's say the same.
If I've added weight I will have to rethink my diet. It isn't perfect but had a few birthdays to celebrate since last appointment.
Oh and a bereavement.
In fact it will be a miracle if I haven't added weight.
I'm sure I haven't thou.

Be at peace little one... All will be revealed and then you will know what to do to take action:)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What kinda of foods are you eating? How many carbs? Dairy? Grains?
I wouldn't give my wine up either.
Typically having 2 meals in 8 hour window. First meal examples, 3 med eggs scrambled with tbsp cream, 2 grilled back bacon, tiny bit of ketchup, or tin tuna with salad with cider vinegar and olive oil vinegrette, or Greek salad with olives and half block of feta, or may vary tuna with 3/4 oz chicken, ham and Philadelphia light cheese. Then eve meal examples roasted Mediterranean veg and white fish poached in coconut milk or steamed with butter and lemon, or other veg or salad and roast chicken, steak or small pork loin now and again. Occasionally have Konjac noodles with bolognaise (home made). I sometimes have a few mixed nuts or seeds or some sliced radish with bit of peanut butter while cooking dinner. Then I might have sugar free jelly, home made sugar free strawberry ice cream (small scoop cos it's about 200 cals) or some berries and cream or a coconut macaroon again these are home made and sugar free, tiny but still about 100 cals. I drink wine twice a week and I will often have a bit of cheese with a ryvita with this. I'm usually around 1000/1200 cals, most days walk for an hour across moors. What do you think Kristin? Also the wine is extra to the 1200 cals but 3 large glasses about 1200 i know it would be better without it but I dont think I can do it. It's my bad habit but I enjoy it. I suppose after my holiday if I'm still struggling I will have to consider it. I haven't had sugar pasta, potatoes or bread or rice for weeks, with the exception of 2 occasions. I am missing bread, I am trying the lidle high protein roll today to see if I can tolerate it without spiking. Thanks debbie x

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Typically having 2 meals in 8 hour window. First meal examples, 3 med eggs scrambled with tbsp cream, 2 grilled back bacon, tiny bit of ketchup, or tin tuna with salad with cider vinegar and olive oil vinegrette, or Greek salad with olives and half block of feta, or may vary tuna with 3/4 oz chicken, ham and Philadelphia light cheese. Then eve meal examples roasted Mediterranean veg and white fish poached in coconut milk or steamed with butter and lemon, or other veg or salad and roast chicken, steak or small pork loin now and again. Occasionally have Konjac noodles with bolognaise (home made). I sometimes have a few mixed nuts or seeds or some sliced radish with bit of peanut butter while cooking dinner. Then I might have sugar free jelly, home made sugar free strawberry ice cream (small scoop cos it's about 200 cals) or some berries and cream or a coconut macaroon again these are home made and sugar free, tiny but still about 100 cals. I drink wine twice a week and I will often have a bit of cheese with a ryvita with this. I'm usually around 1000/1200 cals, most days walk for an hour across moors. What do you think Kristin? Also the wine is extra to the 1200 cals but 3 large glasses about 1200 i know it would be better without it but I dont think I can do it. It's my bad habit but I enjoy it. I suppose after my holiday if I'm still struggling I will have to consider it. I haven't had sugar pasta, potatoes or bread or rice for weeks, with the exception of 2 occasions. I am missing bread, I am trying the lidle high protein roll today to see if I can tolerate it without spiking. Thanks debbie x

IF it were me, I would ditch all dairy before the wine and see if that makes a difference. Grains and dairy pack pounds on me overnight and it takes days for it to come back off but it does. Try replacing avocado for the dairy if you like it. I could eat tons of protein and fat ( if my bs would let me) and not gain an ounce but a slice of cheese and I will gain 2-3 pounds over night. Same with grains. One slice of bread and pounds come on. Many people are dairy intolerant and don't know it. Many on this forum advise people to add dairy if they want to gain weight.
Personally I would not worry about the wine if it's a dry red. Whites have more sugar. I don't gain much weight with wine BUT I recently switched to vodka water with a lemon and lost weight. However I also reduced my fat intake and insulin all at the same time so not sure which it was. Probably a combination.
For you I would point my finger at ALL dairy first. Avocado is a good exchange. I know it's hard to give up dairy, who doesn't love it but it might be your stall.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously :eek:
Seriously. This weekend we went to a party and I made Mediterranean chicken salad with feta. Also had a small slice of Brie and smacked Gouda. Everything else stayed the same as far as carbs and protein. Bs spiked and scale up 3 pounds. Back down in 3 days but still.... Most annoying as I love cheese. I save it for special occasions. It probably totaled an ounce and a half. The worst part was the bs spike and I was insulin resistant for two days. This is my history with dairy though. Not the first time and it won't be the last but it will be awile before I indulge again

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunneria and kevinpotts, just wanted to say, love all your posts, in this thread and elsewhere.

I bought the obesity code a couple of weeks ago, so must read it now. Will seriously consider IF after I have finished my little Thiosulphate experiment.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IF it were me, I would ditch all dairy before the wine and see if that makes a difference. Grains and dairy pack pounds on me overnight and it takes days for it to come back off but it does. Try replacing avocado for the dairy if you like it. I could eat tons of protein and fat ( if my bs would let me) and not gain an ounce but a slice of cheese and I will gain 2-3 pounds over night. Same with grains. One slice of bread and pounds come on. Many people are dairy intolerant and don't know it. Many on this forum advise people to add dairy if they want to gain weight.
Personally I would not worry about the wine if it's a dry red. Whites have more sugar. I don't gain much weight with wine BUT I recently switched to vodka water with a lemon and lost weight. However I also reduced my fat intake and insulin all at the same time so not sure which it was. Probably a combination.
For you I would point my finger at ALL dairy first. Avocado is a good exchange. I know it's hard to give up dairy, who doesn't love it but it might be your stall.
I guess it's worth a go Kristin. I think the majority of my high cals dairy. I would be quite low cal without cream and cheese. Hmmmm.... Interesting Thanks x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it's worth a go Kristin. I think the majority of my high cals dairy. I would be quite low cal without cream and cheese. Hmmmm.... Interesting Thanks x
Try the avocado and nuts if you're looking for cals
I'm of the opinion it's not the calories but the type of calories. I prefer mono/ plant fats over saturated and dairy fat. They are harder to burn.

Reactions: 4 people