Why am I not losing weight or improving bg?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I got the metformin. I restart it late next week. Gp needs to process it.
I'm optimistic.
I lost 2 stone when I was on it last time.
Fingers crossed.
No weight loss yet. I tried 130g carb suggested by the dietician but just left me with carb cravings.
Need to restart a decent lchf diet again but my finance's cannot support it right now. Holiday period and 2 young kids.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah Kevin has had such great success hasn't he? Also check out this link -- she's had amazing success:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-life.81469/page-449#post-1208288

Hang in there! Whatever you do don't eat too many carbs on a restricted calorie diet, that's the only thing that puts you into "starvation mode". If the doc allows you could try a 36 hour fast or something.. don't know if your meds allow for this. I've heard it helps reset the metabolism if your's is slowed down. The LCHF and intermittent fasting you've been doing should of done that.. assuming you aren't eating too many sweets or whatever. Let me know how you're doing okay? Look forward to you having great success as well :)

Jennifer
Yes I will keep carbs down , gosh she looks great. It will be me!!!!!! I am going to stay under 20-30g carbs and will try longer fasts and less vino!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm annoyed with myself for tweaking my original lchf diet.
I need to mimic my first attempt.

Mind u I'm off my food and the heat is making me bad tempered. Most likely my blood pressure.
No tolerance for nonsense today, even from myself. lol

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No weight loss yet. I tried 130g carb suggested by the dietician but just left me with carb cravings.
Need to restart a decent lchf diet again but my finance's cannot support it right now. Holiday period and 2 young kids.
@ickihun

Have a look in Iceland they have some great frozen veg, peppers, onions, mixed veg, cauli florets and fish deals. I got 3 bags of haddock fillets for £10 and if you make an omelette and bulk it with peppers, onions, cheese, mushrooms, spinach or courgette it does for 3 days for lunch and skip breakfast as per IF. It is expensive though if you use the nut flours. Good luck, you're doing great x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun

Have a look in Iceland they have some great frozen veg, peppers, onions, mixed veg, cauli florets and fish deals. I got 3 bags of haddock fillets for £10 and if you make an omelette and bulk it with peppers, onions, cheese, mushrooms, spinach or courgette it does for 3 days for lunch and skip breakfast as per IF. It is expensive though if you use the nut flours. Good luck, you're doing great x
That's what my original lchf consisted of, very little fat in comparison to suggested.
But bored with omelettes now and iceland veg. Boo hoo!
I've done stir-fries to boredom too.
I've eaten some many different foods my palette gets bored easily. :(

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem is the opposite, I keep baking scones, peanut cookies, muffins etc and have with cream. Going to cut those out and go back to alternating egg and bacon one day with berries, chia and yoghurt the next for first meal. Then alternate veg and salad for second meal with some protein and a nice sauce, like steak Diane,etc and if need a sweet fix I've got strawberry ice cream made with xylitol and flax crackers with cheese or peanut butter if I need a snack.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferG

Yes I will keep carbs down , gosh she looks great. It will be me!!!!!! I am going to stay under 20-30g carbs and will try longer fasts and less vino!
As you know, get a diet you can stick with for life. Once you get your weight you want and blood sugars under control, make sure to maintain it with low enough carbs. Only add 10g of carbs back in at a time after you reach goal weight and blood sugars. You'll just need to fine tune how many carbs you need to eat at a later date. A good book that's cheap: The New Atkins for a New You.. like $9 here in the states (7 quid). Do you have that one? There is info in it that I didnt' see in the Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat Book nor The Obesity Code. Do you have the Obesity Code? Another good book I am liking: The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.. by the same doctors that helped write The New Atkins for a New You (along wtih Eric Westman). I also just picked up "The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet" by Mosley.. an awesome author in your country :) Just reading as many books as I can.. good books. We can beat this! Hang in there and stay hydrated and check your blood pressure each day and sugars! --Jennifer

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maintaining is definitely the hardest part of this journey

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you know, get a diet you can stick with for life. Once you get your weight you want and blood sugars under control, make sure to maintain it with low enough carbs. Only add 10g of carbs back in at a time after you reach goal weight and blood sugars. You'll just need to fine tune how many carbs you need to eat at a later date. A good book that's cheap: The New Atkins for a New You.. like $9 here in the states (7 quid). Do you have that one? There is info in it that I didnt' see in the Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat Book nor The Obesity Code. Do you have the Obesity Code? Another good book I am liking: The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.. by the same doctors that helped write The New Atkins for a New You (along wtih Eric Westman). I also just picked up "The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet" by Mosley.. an awesome author in your country :) Just reading as many books as I can.. good books. We can beat this! Hang in there and stay hydrated and check your blood pressure each day and sugars! --Jennifer

I've got obesity code and watched some of YouTube lectures. But yes it's a lot to learn but we can do this! X

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Rosedale diet and primal body primal mind are two of my favorites. The Bernstein solution as well

Reactions: 3 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Bernstein as my bible, and the recipes are a bit fancy but fabulous - I just simplify them.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been looking at Bernstein last 2 days, according to him I'm doing all sorts wrong Peanut butter, certain veg, xylitol, nuts and I'm only part way through! Oh well, I am intending getting stricter with myself so I will keep reading enjoy what's in my fridge/freezer then take on board what he says! I want this weight off and I want my results to improve more than they have. On with the good fight!

JenniferG

I have been looking at Bernstein last 2 days, according to him I'm doing all sorts wrong Peanut butter, certain veg, xylitol, nuts and I'm only part way through! Oh well, I am intending getting stricter with myself so I will keep reading enjoy what's in my fridge/freezer then take on board what he says! I want this weight off and I want my results to improve more than they have. On with the good fight!
I have Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I have gotten tons of useful info from it. I think that he is fanatical is great, but I think he's a bit over-fanatic at times. A bit of tomato, onion or nuts in moderation is okay. But just make sure they are small portions. If you limit them each day, they don't amount to much carbs, yeah?

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I have gotten tons of useful info from it. I think that he is fanatical is great, but I think he's a bit over-fanatic at times. A bit of tomato, onion or nuts in moderation is okay. But just make sure they are small portions. If you limit them each day, they don't amount to much carbs, yeah?

Yes I've been reading the solution too and I agree, I mean for goodness sake 'one cherry tomato' what's that all about? I think I can stretch to 3/4 without worrying lol. He does have some good advice on supplements though. Also he says conflicting things about sweeteners, he says xylitol should be avoided but aspartame ok?? That's the opposite of what I thought was ok. Confused now!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferG

Do you have The New Atkins for a New You? It's only $9 here in the states. It has a lot of good science in it (written by doctors: Westman, Phinney & Volek) And lots of recipes as well.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Debbie I didn't read the science lol I just tried the diet and a lot of the recipes and it worked so we stuck to it. Hubby been doing fine without meds since 2009 on it so it abviously worked. But now hubby's BS is going up so we need to try a different way of eating

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have The New Atkins for a New You? It's only $9 here in the states. It has a lot of good science in it (written by doctors: Westman, Phinney & Volek) And lots of recipes as well.

Hi Jen

No I haven't got that, will try to get a copy from the library first before buying. I have the old Atkins but I found it very restrictive and don't believe you can eat meat in large portions as he described. I guess this is updated. I've just been doing my own thing but keeping generally low carb whilst reading and learning what I can. I'm seeing DN on Tue for a chat about next phase. Think I'm in ketosis as water even tastes sweet, need to get keto sticks to check. It's prob temporary as I ate only very little yesterday but did 3 hours of exercise claiming a big hill in the heat! I like my wine but will need to be careful if in ketosis. I'm considering cutting out alcohol but I know I will miss it lol. What do you think about xylitol Jennifer? I have been using it to sweeten things like home made ice cream. Not sure if you are supposed to cut out sweeteners altogether initially, but then read it has no effect on blood sugar so don't see why it can't be included really?

Debbie