Why Cheating Matters

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In our quest to achieve remission

We have all had those moments when we think - ah one sweet, biscuit, - what harm can that possibly do.

It turns out that eating TINY amounts of the " wrong" foods can have big implications for blood glucose responses and by implication the insulin that you created to deal with it.
I have created a charts shows two days results from the Abbott from two people. Both of us eating a similar LCHF diet. We switched over at 6pm on the evening of the first day

The first day is when worn by a friend a non diabetic 28 year old woman BMI 27 (who's OGTT results are shown on the other graphic compared to me and bulkbiker ) as two lines - one after the full OGTT test, the second after following an LCHF diet all day and then eating ONE PIECE OF CANDIED GINGER weighting about 5 g at around 1.30 . the resulting metabolic effort to process that was BIGGER than the OGTT.

The second day is when worn by a diabetic 59 year old woman BMI 31 (me) on LCHF

I then applied that data to the OGTT tests that @bulbiker and I did which included the same person's OGTT.

Basically this shows that whatever the ingredients of only
FIVE GRAMS OF PEELED GINGER CANDY IT GAVE WORSE INSULIN RESPONSES THAN THE FULL OGTT TEST FOR A NON DIABETIC.

Lord knows what it would do to me !

so maybe think twice before that little grape between meals - no snacking appears to mean NO SNACKING !

Attachments

• candied ginger test.png
    candied ginger test.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 654
  • freind and i update.png
    freind and i update.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 592

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes I was truly astonished, that is why I paid for her to wear one, so I could see what I should be expecting to happen if I was responding properly - the result is nothing short of mind boggling!

D

Deleted Account

Very very interesting and great example for others.

Being a scientist at heart, I can't let this pass without commenting that your sample set is very small. If anyone else is willing to risk such a spike, it would be interesting to see how this compares with other people's experience.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would also be interested in a bigger sample size, whilst at no way volunteering to do it!!!

I have decided that snacking is a huge problem. Not just for me but anyone who is trying to lose weight or control bsl.

I really love the way you are doing this cherry. Dont stop, I have learned such a lot.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Looks like your friend has some insulin resistance.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Oh Gosh. I cheat. Am I the only one? I cheat all the time. At least 2-3 days a month. I don't know why. I know its not good. I feel upset when I do it, yet I can't seem to be able to stop. I think It will kill me eventually but I feel out of control and powerless. On my better days I eat low carb and I would say medium fat because I don't like fatty foods. My weight is ok but loosing 7 pounds would put me at the lower end of the weight chart for my height and age. However I have a fatty tummy. Anyway I will remember this chart and try to do better. Thanks for posting it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am not surprised at all. I have noted and posted many times that non diabetics spike as well, which makes absolute sense to me and the reason why an insulin response is natural to combat this. This needs a lot more study as I think it will surprise the majority.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Reactions: johnmrg

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very very interesting and great example for others.

Being a scientist at heart, I can't let this pass without commenting that your sample set is very small. If anyone else is willing to risk such a spike, it would be interesting to see how this compares with other people's experience.

I do find N=1 stuff interesting but I appreciate its not particularly scientifically meaningful I just thought this was interesting as an anecdote. it' snot very often one sees the "no snacking rule " so powerfully demonstrated. It is also true though that some of the professional community has been hanging onto out dated notions for years despite plenty of anecdotal evidence otherwise. Eventually N=1 adds up - jut like it does for LCHF despite no official recognition. Many scientific discoveries have come from individuals with a theory which eventually gets confirmed or knocked down by others trying to prove them wrong

My friend did the OGTT test with me, and her responses then confirmed at that stage that in Kraft terms - she needed to watch out. I said at the time that I wasn't expecting her response to be entirely normal simply because she is a little overweight so on average she was more likely to fall into the potentially metabolically unhealthy camp than the healthy one. As it happens she has adopted the LCHF lifestyle anyway for the vast majority of the time so I doubt I need to worry too much for her future ! I didn't expect that to translate into quite such a spike on one sweet though . It was that which pushed me into finally giving proper intermittment fasting a proper go .

Interestingly we had another visitor today. A ripped young man in his mid 20's who works out a lot . They had a bit of a crisp/ chocolate/ candy fest. His blood sugar after an hour 3.6 , hers 11.1. There is no way that a doctor would pronounce my friend unhealthy It would not even cross their mind, yet at this stage my guess would be her fasting insulin is quite possibly higher than mine.

I suspect if Apple do bring out a blood glucose fitness watch there are going to be a lot of people in for shock!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like your friend has some insulin resistance.

Absolutely . I already told her that she needed to be careful after the OGTT which clearly showed she is moving along the Kraft path . I must admit I was not expecting a single sweet to be a worse reaction than the OGTT. Or for that matter the crisps today to be worse than both combined.

It leads me to wonder if in fact its the om 6 vegetable oils that are an even bigger problem than just the refined carbs

Attachments

• Remission.png
    Remission.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 429