Why Do Bg Levels Go Up And Down Apparently For No Reason

Geoffno6

After a weekend of 6s and 7s during the day and evening, after wake up highs of 8s and 9s, with no real change in diet (meat,fish,eggs,cheese and cream) my BG levels have shot up. After a wake up FBG of 10.2 on Monday then after egg and bacon and some double cream I walked a mile and two hours after eating was on 10.8. I stayed high all day only getting down to 8.1 late in the evening.

This morning I was 10.9 and still 9.1 after egg and bacon and double cream. Followed by an 8.8 and an 8.1 during the day.

There seems to be no reason to it. Has anyone else had this unpredictability?

My first doctors appointment on Monday after diagnosis on 27th June was disappointing. Yes I know either my pancreas isn’t producing insulin, or the insulin isn’t being used. I asked what my Hba1c was in June and it was 120! So I suppose I should be pleased with my high 6s to high 10s compared to 18s at diagnosis.

I’d love to hear other people’s experiences in their early days.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often get lower numbers at the weekend, I put it down to feeling more relaxed. Do you work in the week? I only work part time and I love my job so the work in itself isn’t stressful but just having to be somewhere at a set time is enough to raise my sugars a little even now. When first diagnosed the rise in the week on work days was more marked.

Reactions: Geoffno6
D

Deleted Account

Our BG is affected by many things: food, exercise, illness, stress, time of day, month, year, drugs, temperature, alcohol, ...

Geoffno6

I do work in the week, and luckily really enjoy my work but maybe you’re right. I suppose I’m a bit focused on diet being the only thing that matters.

Geoffno6

On Saturday I did a 5k run and later walked about 6 miles so expected my BG levels to be good but Sunday was my first lazy day for weeks so I was almost disappointed that my BG levels stayed really low, or low for me. On Monday when I got back to plenty of exercise my levels went up

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On Saturday I did a 5k run and later walked about 6 miles so expected my BG levels to be good but Sunday was my first lazy day for weeks so I was almost disappointed that my BG levels stayed really low, or low for me. On Monday when I got back to plenty of exercise my levels went up
Quite a few people find that more strenuous exercise can raise their blood sugar levels whereas more gentle exercise doesn't. Maybe try just walking one day and then running the next and see what happens?

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few people find that more strenuous exercise can raise their blood sugar levels whereas more gentle exercise doesn't. Maybe try just walking one day and then running the next and see what happens?
I agree. I will go up high if i run, play tennis or lift weights but with a gentle walk i come down to low 5's. Everytime.

Geoffno6

Ok, thx for that. I started the day at 10.3 so hopefully it’s only downwards from there but I’ve promised myself my midweek run this evening so let’s see what happens. I’m down to 12 st 3lb this morning and I’m 6 foot so hoping the weight stops going down

Geoffno6

To foil the liver dump tonight I walked a mile after a 3 mile run and tested 30 mins after the walk and was down to 7.6 which is good for me ..... or did you mean the morning liver dump?

Reactions: Alison Campbell

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
To foil the liver dump tonight I walked a mile after a 3 mile run and tested 30 mins after the walk and was down to 7.6 which is good for me ..... or did you mean the morning liver dump?
Mine happens at any opportunity. Morning, noon and night.

Reactions: RAPS_od
M

Moggely

I think it's because it simply has a mind of it's own.:happy:. Sorry i know that wasn't helpful but i think it was truthful.

Reactions: ickihun

kbbi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Although I’m of no help due to my circumstances being similar to other person that have made comments. But the reason for me writing this note is hopefully someone may know the best way for me reduce my scores.
Originally I was reasonably stable moving between 5 & 6.5 but now for some unknown reason I am finding it very difficult to keep below 8. My diet hasn’t changed in any way. Is there any one that has had the same symptoms and managed to overcome.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BS goes up if I am not well e.g., cold, flu, pain etc and there is nothing I can do about it until I am totally well again.

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a weekend of 6s and 7s during the day and evening, after wake up highs of 8s and 9s, with no real change in diet (meat,fish,eggs,cheese and cream) my BG levels have shot up. After a wake up FBG of 10.2 on Monday then after egg and bacon and some double cream I walked a mile and two hours after eating was on 10.8. I stayed high all day only getting down to 8.1 late in the evening.

This morning I was 10.9 and still 9.1 after egg and bacon and double cream. Followed by an 8.8 and an 8.1 during the day.

There seems to be no reason to it. Has anyone else had this unpredictability?

My first doctors appointment on Monday after diagnosis on 27th June was disappointing. Yes I know either my pancreas isn’t producing insulin, or the insulin isn’t being used. I asked what my Hba1c was in June and it was 120! So I suppose I should be pleased with my high 6s to high 10s compared to 18s at diagnosis.

I’d love to hear other people’s experiences in their early days.

Could be the hot weather affecting it?

Mine goes up and down like a yo-yo in heat. the doctors have always acknowledged this but are always at a loss to explain why it happens.

Reactions: purplesally

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I find it a bit like the Bermuda Triangle! Sometimes you just can’t explain it no matter what the conspiracy theories are

Reactions: Struma

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just concentrate on the things I can control and improve which for me is sleep, stress, exercise and food.

Geoffno6

Thx for those replies, they all make sense ..... apart from not making sense of diabetes lol.
Today I had a 7.30 wake up of 9.8 which was a bit higher than usual but I had a few G n T’s last night. Bacon and egg for breakfast, a special treat to energise my run, 1/4lb of berries at 8.50am 5k run, then 8.9 immediately after run, then 8.3 after a slow 1 mile walk to try and burn off any carbs released by my liver (that’s what they reckon your liver does when you exert yourself) last week I jumped up to 10.? something after the run