Why Do Some People Not Care?

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Patch said:
Also - IT'S HARD TO DO THE RIGHT THING ALL OF THE TIME! :(
Yes, this is true. But I'm talking about people who seem to do the wrong thing all of the time. It's like they couldn't care less or don't actually understand the harm it can do.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
phoenix said:
I did a search on GU biscuits to find out what they were. The ones I found (don't know if they are the ones mentioned) if so, they work out at less than 4g carb each.
This was one of the tubs:
gupuds.com/our-puds/nibbles-and-naughties/naughty-millionaires-flapjacks

lol, I wouldn't go near them.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My problem with meringues and probably GU biscuits as well, is not so much the carb content as the sweetness.

I have been trying to control my weight for 45 of my 61 years, and the one thing I have achieved in all that time :roll: is to cure my sweet tooth. Even before being diagnosed Type 2 a piece of cake or a pudding was a very rare treat, and chocolate was only at Christmas!

I also went for years, in the days when bread and potatoes were the 'baddies' (1960s and early '70s), without ever eating either!

Unfortunately, cheese scones and savoury pastries and pasta get you to exactly the same place, weight-wise, as puddings and cakes :oops: .

Portion control has never been my thing :lol: . I'm having to learn a lot, still. :wink:

Viv 8)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fencer said:
phoenix said:
I did a search on GU biscuits to find out what they were. The ones I found (don't know if they are the ones mentioned) if so, they work out at less than 4g carb each.

lol, I wouldn't go near them.
They seem to have only 2g carb; they must be very small. I don't normally eat between meals, but I if my glucose levels were on the low side I'd eat one or two... and I do care!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Fencer said:

Mmmmm, they look lovely :D

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Well i would have one NOW. ....
As a treat with coffee or when out ... Do not look that large :)
maybe two :idea: if late/missed a meal :)

Life is for living and far too short

Can you Nick a box and send it to me :wink: I can save you from temptation :mrgreen:

GU2351_Gu_MillionaireFlapjack-047-RET.jpg

carefixer

I don't care! I'm T2 and I eat anything I like and my waistline sticks stubornly at 30" which isn't bad for a six foot man 17 years after diagnosis. It wasn't always this way, I used to weigh in at 20 stone yet only ate 500 calories a day five years ago. At that point I checked out the peer reviewed scientific literature and found out what caused T2 and obesity, found the cure for obesity and the only looking back I've done since is at the 40" waist jeans stored at the bottom of my wardrobe which I will never wear again.

It could happen to you too. But will you let it????????

betic

i have the perfect answer to this, allow your self two biscuits or a small fairy cake only just before you do a two hours workout at the gym :D i have an egg beaten in goats milk, not as nice though :lol:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
carefixer said:
I don't care! I'm T2 and I eat anything I like and my waistline sticks stubornly at 30" which isn't bad for a six foot man 17 years after diagnosis. It wasn't always this way, I used to weigh in at 20 stone yet only ate 500 calories a day five years ago. At that point I checked out the peer reviewed scientific literature and found out what caused T2 and obesity, found the cure for obesity and the only looking back I've done since is at the 40" waist jeans stored at the bottom of my wardrobe which I will never wear again.

So what's the magic cure then carefixer?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
To return to the OP's original question - "Why Do Some People Not Care"?

Humans are a funny breed. I've visited friends in hospital and at the entrance are patients in wheelchairs, having had both legs amputated due to smoking related illnesses, having a fag. :shock:

As they say in Yorkshire - "There's nowt as queer as folk"

faircot

carefixer said:
At that point I checked out the peer reviewed scientific literature and found out what caused T2 and obesity, found the cure for obesity?

Please share your secret with us - or have you patented it and sold it to a food/sports equipment/lifestyle company?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
carefixer said:

I'm sorry to be the person to break this to you carefixer but you have not discovered the cure for diabetes or obesity what you have discovered is the Size Zero Diet of 500 calories a day which has led to so many young girls to becoming anorexic.

Its not big and its not clever and you really shouldnt do it or tempt others with it
nono.gif

jopar

I eat what I want

But before anybody starts making assumptions that I'm fat, have bad control and have a list of complications as long as my arm, stuff my face with carbs all day and I don't care... Think again

My BMI is on the borderline of being underweight...
I have very tight BG control so rarely suffer a hypo if it happens I'm around 3.8mmol/l
I have a HbA1c in the 5% club.
I don't have any complication even after 22 years of diabetes. Only wear glasses for driving
I don't take any other medication apart from insulin and even this is only betwen 16-20 units a day!
My cholestrol is in the 3 and my BP is in the lower ranges..

One thing I've noticed with the this thread is not so much Judgment based on assumption, but a case of other trying to denile individual choice!

If somebody choses to use available medication to control their diabetes rather to make further lifestyle changes or choose to maintain a different target range it is totally their choice to do so, not mine nor yours..

But if you look at my lifestyle choices then it does throw up some surprises indeed...

The claims that if you reduce your carbs to a bare minium and/or avoid all starchy carbs such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes... You can better control and use Less medication..

So how does one explain that I do eat the above starchy carbs but still have better control, my medication is extremely lower than those who follow an extreme Low carb diet and unlike extreme low carbers I don't have the need to supplement my diet with a tub full of supplements!

Something really doesn't match up...

I have my theory to why this is...

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
please tell us :?:

jopar

My theory is something I built up on a lot of research and lot of reading what some actually are saying or promoting within various different forums and blogs..

Extreme low carbing is based on dropping starchy carbs and replacing with increased fats and protein… Problem with fat’s a fatty meal not only takes longer to digest but it is also insulin resistant to foods that contain a lot of fat needs more insulin to tackle it!
But what I’ve found interesting is that most extreme low carbers who heavily promote this regime is there eating habits and food suggestions the put either on forums or on their own blogs and compared it to Bernstein…

One thing you notice is carb content of meals suggestion you realise that there are a lot of hidden carbs that aren’t being counted so unless you are restricting portion size then very likely to be eating a lot more carbohydrates than they think they are… How many proclaim that they don’t count carbs but they are extreme low carber as they don’t eat the main starchy carb group…
Now a lot of them suggest reading material such as Bernstein but I’m sure they’ve really haven’t done their reading or particularly know his theory apart from drop starchy carbs, the low number rule and the 6g ,12g, and 12g of carbs meals structure… If they did then they would be very aware that portion control is very important part of control!

Now pop over to the low carb forum and take a gander at suggestion for satisfying your appetite, a case of promoting eat as much as you want of low carb foods such as salad and upping protein intake… Now Bernstein’s theory actuallys say portion control is very important with a maxium amount of protein due to protein does turn into glucose and impacts of your BG but also you’ve got to use portion control with your salad, because you can create carbs and an impact on BG by bulk he actually says you shouldn’t have more than 2 cups of salad, and more than this can the carb count doubles! So 12g becomes 24g of carbs!

So combining all this information then there are a lot of extreme low carbers who are fibbing about their actual intake of carbs and the true effect of the portions sizes they are eating… And when it comes to tackling weight issues, even Atkins says that you increase your carbohydrate intake after an induction period! To maintain weight lose but a lot of people seem to miss little part!
No wonder some never hit the weight goal and stock up their medication, and well because the verdict on whether extreme low carbing is or isn’t healthy long term they decide to play safe and take supplements just in case!

Strange isn't my medication hasn't increased over the years, but others who swear by the extreme low carb method has!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You eat what you want, Jopar - and good for you! You are an example to us all.

But what exactly is it that you do eat? Maybe we could all try it. Can you give us a week's menus, for example? Or even, what you ate today?

Viv 8)

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I eat what I want as well and have always done. I'm a T2 and still manage to eat all the things most/some would not or can not touch. I have not had to change my diet a lot since diagnoses, just reduce the amount of carbs. This allowed me to still be able to eat foods like bread, rice, potatoes and pasta (I'm not a pasta fan but I do eat it sometimes). By reducing the amount I eat, of everything not just carbs, I have lost 2 stones and am now around 11 stones.

I have 6 slices of bread a day, one cooked meal (chips, rice or potatoes included), a piece of cake once or twice a week or a bar of snickers. My last A1c was 6.2mmol, I have been very lucky.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ka-Mon said:
I have 6 slices of bread a day, one cooked meal (chips, rice or potatoes included), a piece of cake once or twice a week or a bar of snickers. My last A1c was 6.2mmol, I have been very lucky.

Crikey - 6 slices of bread! You are lucky...

Have you considered that some people believe that a pancreas only has a limited productive life? (google beta cell burn out) Eating all those carbs may be overworking your pancreas, and that little organ may not be able to keep up that rate of work forever...

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Patch said:
Ka-Mon said:

Crikey - 6 slices of bread! You are lucky...

Have you considered that some people believe that a pancreas only has a limited productive life? (google beta cell burn out) Eating all those carbs may be overworking your pancreas, and that little organ may not be able to keep up that rate of work forever...

Not only do I believe that a pancreas has a limited productive life, I also believe that every organ has a limited productive life as does any living being on this planet. Still, when you consider that before we become diabetics our normal recommended daily carb allowance is 300g, eating around 150 a day is not really "all those carbs".

BTW, I don't eat the normal supermarket white bread, tried that but BG goes in the double figures, and I don't eat all 6 slices in one go, only two slices at a time and a minimum of 4-5 hrs in between. I don't have any idea how many carbs are in the bread that I was introduced to some time ago by some one who used to post in this forum. But, although that is also a white bread I have had no problems with it since I tried it. I have two slices for breakfast, two slices for lunch and two slices about an hour before I go to bed. Surprisingly my morning BG levels are always below 6mmol. When I eat bread I never have any other carbs with it like potatoes/rice etc, just low fat something/chicken and salad. I tried his diet that he mentioned in his postings and it worked for me.

One day my pancreas might pack up altogether but some other organs will/might probably pack up before then. That's life and I just get on with it as best as I can.