Why does lantus sting

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help I am just diagnosed end of last year and have to inject 16 units of lantus at night .when I am injecting it stings like mad and don't no why does not do it all the time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
May well be because you are just hitting a wrong spot...

I used to hit wring spots, but generally could feel then when putring the needle in. If I just continued then like you I would get a stinging sensation too..

Some people can be sensitive to certain drugs, but don't know much about this for insulin...

ALLISON462

I read somewhere that Lantus stings as it is acid based. Also, as tou re hving to inject quite a big amount, try just pressing a few clicks in then pausing before doing the next few clicks. May make a difference as youre trying to push liquid into a space where there is no room for it!!!

sally wilkins

I totally agree with "Donnallysdogs" if I hit a sensitive spot the lantus stings when I inject... I have to inject 40 units & find the key is right spot even if that means removing needle from sore spot then inject slowly... It is quite frustrating at times.... Good luck...:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LaughingHyena

I found it stung a lot more sometimes than others, presumably down to where I injected it (my left leg always hurt more than my right)

I think the sting itself is down to the PH though, Lantus starts out quite acidic and as it's neturalised it becomes active. I belive that's how it achives it's slow release http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_glargine

Mostly for other reasons I changed over to Levimir twice a day, and one of the bonus points is no stinging after injecting. I was really not happy at the idea of needing to do lantus twice a day as I dreaded having to do it in the evening. So there are other options if the sting is causing problems.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
LaughingHyena said:
I think the sting itself is down to the PH though

That's my understanding too, I've been injecting lantus in my buttocks for some time now and found it's much more comfortable to inject than in the legs.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found injecting Lantus into my legs can quite often sting a lot... I'm never sure if it's just the position of the injection though. I thought I had fat thighs but my nurse assured me there wasn't a lot of fat there to inject into so that might be why it's stinging. My dose is 60u though, so that's another factor for me. I found the slightest adjustment in the amount of skin I pinch to inject into can make a huge difference.

andyh

Hi
i hve been on Lantus for nine years and usually inject into my thighs and i would say it stings 80% of the time, i was once told that its because its kept in fridge and a larger dose it will sting, so i take it out of the fridge half hour before and guess what? still stings!!
andy

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .
Well remember when I started using Levemir my DSN telling me it wouldnt and shouldnt sting
as it wasnt as acidic as Lanctus.
Also to keep my pen that I was currently using at a room temperature and not use any
straight out of the fridge .
As they can 'sting' when used straight out of a fridge .
Followed 'all' she instructed and none stang until used a pen still chilled
and not fully room temperatured. This DID sting me!
Learned a quick lesson .

Anna.

karen 1075

Hi I'm s T2 diabetic injecting 48 units of lanctus a day. I find some days it stings more than others but I was informed by my GP to ensure I don't mix my injecting sites withr my nova rapid injecting sites end its stopped the majority of the stinging

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

johnipswich

I find that my Novomix 30 stings sometimes. I just put it down to a bad spot or injecting to fast. I only do 15 units but sometimes inject way to fast.

Shaun IDD1970

Keeping Lantus in the fridge?

News to me: when I started on Lantus I was told store the cartridges it in fridge UNTIL you start to use each one...... Then keep at room temp: I store in a drawer so it stays close to room temp.

No stings for me.

Reactions: lilybracken

Bindarry

My son was diagnosed a year ago and discharged from hospital on Lantus he couldn't cope with how much it stung and we had it changed to Levimir with no problems He hates all aspects of his diabetes but if I can change small things like that it helps him to try and accept. But I only keep all unopened cartridges in the fridge.

Spirit of Eden

I would say that about every 10th time I inject I get a nasty sting. I can't work out why but it happens for both Humalog and Humulin injections. For me at least i'm convinced its not the insulin, it's something to do with the injection site or not making a clean insertion with the needle

BlueQ

This happened to me quite regularly and I pretty certain it's down the injection site and needles. I'd suggest changing needles more frequently and make sure you're injecting into a pinched fatty area of your body. When I do this I don't get the burn so much.

xmas

I would say it happens 4 times out of 10 for me but as someone said before it could be down to not changing the needle enough

lenipenny

It stings almost every time with me i inject into my tummy as its too painful in my legs and bottom i do find though that if i roll the pen back and forth between my hands before i do it that little bit of warmth makes it a little easier

Loulou5050

It isn't where you inject the Lantus my doctor told me last week that Lantus is Acid based and this is why.
I have the same problem the Doctor advised to take a few units then another don't inject all at once.
Hope this helps.