Why does my little boy always look so pale, is it normal?

parianos7

Here I am again... I've been very worried because even though my 2 year old boy has good measurements his face is pale!!! Should I worry? Does this come with the "package"? Is this another thing that we have to get used to? Isn't everything else enough? Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you sooo much for all your replies, its been so helpful!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Why does my little boy always look so pale, is it normal

Hi I have just read all of your posts and you seem to be doing well in a difficult situation the hardest thing in the world is to see your little one suffer.I have never been in your situation but I am a granny and have brought up 4 children some times children are pale because of being tired or a lack of fresh air I would suggest taking your son out for a bit of a play if you have a park nearby or somewhere just to kick up the leaves.This should give him fresh air and also help him to sleep well afterwards.You too :D .Then if you are still worried make an appointment with your GP .Remember children are very resiliant up one minute down the next As a caring parent I am sure you will cope.
CAROL

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree with the experienced grandparent above. Diabetes isn't the reason for everything that happens to people with diabetes. It's important to balance risks of sun damage, but low levels of vitamin D (sunlight is the major source of vitamin D, with small contributions from diet) have been associated with diabtes, both type 1 and 2.
Is he paler than usual? Paler than his twin sister? How do they usually compare in colour? Where do you live? In fact, from about now in UK, it's not possible to get enough vitamin D from winter sunshine, but still best to get outdoors and enjoy yourself. I work at a country park, where I organise birthday parties for children - we rangers are only partly joking when we say that children should go back and play more if they don't look muddy when they are ready to leave :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your signature suggests that your little boy is very newly diagnosed. I'm not sure how unwell your son was at diagnosis. I know my daughter was very unwell and she'd also lost a lot of weight and was very pale and thin. My thoughts are that if your son was similar then he is most likely very run down and it may take some time for him to recover to a point where he has some colour back in him. If you're worried then talk to your doctor to be sure. But it may just be that he's naturally paler than his twin, or perhaps he is still in the recovery process.

parianos7

Once again I want to thank u for ur rapid replies...
Taking him out is not an option as he and his sister have had a fever and a bad cough. I know that this might be the main reason but he has gotten sick in the past and never looked so pail. I'm hoping that he's just really run down and that he will come back to his normal colour. Actually we were very lucky and we picked it up before things got worse and he didn't lose any weight or something else.
As for vitamin D... we live in Greece.
I guess my main question is... does diabetes make u look pale? Because he's definently pale, compared to what his colour was like and compared to his twin sister.
Thank u again.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty

diabetes itself wont make u look pale :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

I agree 100% with all the other posters and as totsy states ' Diabetes in itself doesn't make you look pale.'

As your boy is only recently diagnosed then it is natural that he may well be run down and not his usual self. Hopefully as he gets further on he will perk up and get his usual colour back.

If you are still concerned about him then the right place to ask questions is your GP. He may well just be run down, but only a qualified Dr can tell you that. Get him checked out properly for your own piece of mind.

miasmum

Hi there, my daughter also 2yrs old diagnosed in may. She is extremely pale not a chance of her tanning. Some days I look at her and think she is paler than others. She is definately paler than my son. I think waking her up during the night if she has a low doesn't help and she always looks worse the next day plus doing bms every night at 3am won't help. You do wonder about vit D (she was born in Sept so thru winter months wouldnt have got much vit D). I know when she was first diagnosed she looked really pale and its only been 10days for your son so his poor little system is still trying to cope with this.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

I hate to say it but I don't think my son has looked really well since diabetes. I even have video footage of a few weeks before diagnosis and he hasn't looked that good since. Khaleb also has Down's and auto immune related hypothyroidism so maybe these add to his problems but he doesn't have a heart defect. I can't say Khaleb's 'look' has had any effect on him but I have noticed that he is paler.

Totally agree with what you have noticed.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I am another grandmother and I would ask, has your son always been pale?
My daughter[now aged 31, not diabetic,and with 2 children of her own] was a very pale child. The doctors did blood tests and couldn't find anything wrong. She just has pale translucent skin. She isn't blonde, so they thought at first there must be something wrong, but there isn't.
Hana

dot

Jen&Khaleb said:
I hate to say it but I don't think my son has looked really well since diabetes.

Thankfully, my son is a picture of health. Yes he was pale and extremely thin before and for a while after diagnosis, but being diabetic hasn't made him look ill. Probably because he isn't any more :D

lochnessy

Hi
My littile boy has only recently been diagnosed and he looks very pale but he's lost alot of weight, the worst are his hands when we have to finger prick him is a nightmare sometimes as he never looks like he has blood in them, but hopefully once he puts a bit of weight on a bit of colour will return. x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

Welcome to the forum Lochnessy!

moonstone

I can't tell you how many times people told me I was pale and drawn before I was diagnosed. My eyes had sunk and I had huge purple/black rings under them stretching all the way down to the bottom of my nose. I looked truly hideous. After a month on insulin, when I went back to work, I also can't tell you how many people were amazed at how much better I looked and they couldn't believe the difference. It takes time. It won't help that your son is sick with another illness too.

I will say though, that I go a funny colour when I'm high, and I can even recognise other diabetics who are high by the colour/look of their skin - I've tested my theory twice and I was right. At work recently I was high, with another illness also, and someone made it very clear that I was really a very funny colour indeed. I made a joke of it, saying yes this is my "high" look. I know when I'm high in the morning before I even test just from the look of me in the mirror. So I don't know about everyone else but for me, yes, diabetes can make me pale at times. And I was the colour milk to start off with, so it doesn't help!

Blissfool

People were always saying how pale my son was and how dark his eyes were but assumed it was just how he looked (I am a bit like that)...I did wonder if he was anaemic. As he got sicker, he became almost translucent, wax work like. He is still very pale, 2 months after diagnosis, but the other day he was running around and he actually had pink cheeks. I realised then that this was the first time since he was about 1.5 that ive seen him rosy. He is 3 in January, so he has probably been sick a long time. But I would say his complexion, colour and skin is certainly less "healthy" than before...