Why does physically being sick make my blood sugars soar?

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started a new regime of drinking a cap-full of apple cider vinegar this week. Today I followed it with a cup of coffee with cream (low carb). I am pretty sure the vinegar curdled the cream (yes on reflection this should've been obvious but I did have a pint of water before the coffee) and I vomited it all straight back up (nice). My blood sugars shot up from 8 to over 20. They are on their way back down again now and I feel fine so I'm pretty sure I'm not actually ill.

This is not the first time this has happened (too much to drink the night before or whatever). If I was ill that'd be an obvious reason.. but no.. has anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• blood sugars.. sick.jpg
    blood sugars.. sick.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 159

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is a hormonal response!
It is very similar to fight or flight, dawn phenomenon thing.
Your body responds to being ill suddenly and responds.
As you know the likes of stress, temperature and activity will up your blood sugar levels.

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On the apple cider vinegar. It's good stuff and my personal is juice 3 fresh lemons, 8 tablespoons ACV, around a level teaspoon of fresh grated ginger root. Mix together with water up to around 1.5 litres. I drink around 250ml a day - chilled. BG seems much more stable of late.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is a hormonal response!
It is very similar to fight or flight, dawn phenomenon thing.
Your body responds to being ill suddenly and responds.
As you know the likes of stress, temperature and activity will up your blood sugar levels.

thank you that makes sense! Do you know if this also why my blood sugars rise when I go to the gym (doing weights) and not fall?

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the apple cider vinegar. It's good stuff and my personal is juice 3 fresh lemons, 8 tablespoons ACV, around a level teaspoon of fresh grated ginger root. Mix together with water up to around 1.5 litres. I drink around 250ml a day - chilled. BG seems much more stable of late.

Im going to try that! I felt a little sick yesterday after necking the ACV so the lemons will probably mask the taste quite well.. When I did a detox last year I drank loads of water with freshly squeezed lemon in (ok I did add a bit of stevia sweetener so not quite as bitter) but I really need to get back on that and add the ACV and ginger root!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Adrenaline, cortisol, glucose from your liver.
Amongst others that you need to do that level of activity.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am pretty sure the vinegar curdled the cream

You would have thought so. I put 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into 300 ml of coconut milk most days without problems. Obviously coconut milk isn't dairy but it will curdle, maybe a cap full is too much, maybe better mixed with something first. Just thinking aloud.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Anything that gets my heart going such as an exciting or scary movie, vigorous exercise, a sudden fright or nausea leading vomiting etc will raise my blood sugar. The reason given by my doctor is that all the above cause release of adtenaline - the emergency hormone. This hormone causes release of stored sugar from muscles, readying the body to run or fight and boosting the blood stream with glucose, which diabetics cannot readily handle. If i am going to watch a movie, i bolus in about 20 to 30 g carb equivalent in insulin, then increase my pump's basal rate by 20% for the length of the movie. I avoid vigorous exercise as it takes ages to get the resultant high BSL down and then later i might go hypo. Moderate exercise i manage with reduction in basal rate by 10 tp 20 % for about 4 to 6 hours.
I avoid alcohol because it blocks my liver from responding to hypos. It blocks telease of stored sugar there. And there is nothing worse than drinking alcohol , going hypo and being arrested for being mistaken for drunk and disorderly and being detained whilst the brain suffers potential damage.