Why don't some people get it?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Steam or boil your cauliflower, place a carton of seriously strong cheddar spread in a heavy based small saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of double cream, slowly warm through, no need to boil and it will 'catch' readily - so stir all the time. Voila, done! And very low carb! And well done on no microwave - I like to think I don't use a microwave but in reality I do now and again! To quickly defrost prawns just run some boiling water out of the kettle through them , I quite like them a bit 'aired'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenfoldAPD

Steam Cauli,

sauce is a 300ml tub of double cream, 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder, gently warm cream (do not boil) and add grated cheddar until it melts and thickens the sauce (if you like it really cheesy then add some parmesan).

Pour sauce over drained steamed cauli , sprinkle top with grated cheese and flash under the grill to brown.

It is wondrefully rich and comforting and Is my "I feel like rubbish" food of choice.

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cauli cheese:

Steam or boil or micro cauli in rough florets
Drain off water
Add grated mature cheddar, and/or crumbled blue cheese, and/or blobs of cream cheese to hot cauli
Replace lid and leave for a couple of mins of melting time
Remove lid and stir or mash with potato mashing implement
Season with any of salt and pepper, horseradish, paprika, garlic powder, herbs, mustard...
Voila

No phaff, no extra pans or unnecessary washing up.

Reactions: 6 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria last night I felt a little sorry for my husband with his plate of chilli and rice and leeks and cabbage and courgettes - I had my caulirice as usual with mine instead of rice rice and it was such a gorgeous combination - I wouldn't go back to rice now as I enjoy the spike-free cauli far too much!

Reactions: 7 people
S

serenity648

I read that sausages are good. So I had some Tesco cocktail sausages. Then read the label. 61% meat, then water, then rusk. So maybe not all sausages are equal? What do people mean by sausages, bearing in mind i have to use supermarket ones.

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I ate bread, didn't take Metformin (forgot them!), 4 hours later at 4.7. I guess I've spiked and gone down? New strips just arrived thankfully so I can get back on track with testing and being a good boy

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that sausages are good. So I had some Tesco cocktail sausages. Then read the label. 61% meat, then water, then rusk. So maybe not all sausages are equal? What do people mean by sausages, bearing in mind i have to use supermarket ones.
You need sausages with a high meat content - of course they are more expensive I try and find 97% ones - my local butcher does gluten free ones and they are no carb - Black Farmers are high meat - cocktail sausages are ab it more difficult I would think - try getting high meat chipolata and cooking your own

S

serenity648

You need sausages with a high meat content - of course they are more expensive I try and find 97% ones - my local butcher does gluten free ones and they are no carb - Black Farmers are high meat - cocktail sausages are ab it more difficult I would think - try getting high meat chipolata and cooking your own

Thanks. It doesnt have to be chipolatas. I am working on the theory that the money I save on carbs, I can spend of good quality proteins and fats : )

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we buy our local butchers very high quality sausages
also
Black Farmers
Hecks
Bratwurst
and I think both Lidl's and Aldi's do their own high meat ones, but don't know the names.
there is another named brand available in supermarkets, but I can't remember what they are called...

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the original topic - I liken it to people who still smoke - everyone knows the effects could easily kill you somewhere down the line but many refuse to even consider giving up. It's like a child who automatically wants to do whatever you've just told them they can't and is a natural reaction to an extent. I am guilty of neglecting my diabetes horrendously over the years and although I'm starting to make changes now it's still a struggle - there is definitely a massive psychological issue here. I often use the analogy of an athlete - if you don't enter the race you never lose - if you don't try you cannot fail, and that fear of failure can stop many people in their tracks. Of course we all know really that this means you're never going to achieve anything either but the mind can be a vicious beast sometimes

Personally, I have a week off soon and will be taking the low carb plunge! As my diet is so carb heavy I'm fully expecting to feel awful at first so time of work is going to be needed, or is that another delaying excuse? We shall see! Anyway, the plan is to spend the extended time trying different foods and perfecting the art of low carb baking (I don't bake at all yet!), hopefully I'll end up with a freezer full of low carb goodies, rather than the usual chips, potato wedges and ready meals.

But even now there is a little voice in my head telling me I'm going to fail.... It's quieter than I ever remember it being though thanks to this forum, so I shall be on my tablet all week flicking between here and recipe pages and hoping the sound of the mixer will drown it out completely :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
chopped up Mattersons sausage is nice in it too...

That's the original Frankenfurter. (And I don't mean the Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Although the ingredients are a list of horrors.
More chemicals than you'll find in your local schools laboratory.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BeccyB keep that mixer on to drown out the voice saying you will fail. Prepare yourself then jump onto LCHF - and very best of luck!

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
@tim2000s It is on my records that one doctor reckons I am "almost certainly slow evolving type 1" However I was never tested for antibodies or c-pep. We do have history of autoimmune conditions in my family - I have been successfully treated for Grave's disease years ago and my daughter's thyroid was completely burnt out by Hashimoto's - she is still in her twenties. My dsn is lovely and keeping close eye on things - 3 monthly checks. I am determined to do as much as I can for myself without resorting to more pills in the meantime. Thanks for your advice, it is something I will definitely act on if I can't keep it under control.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BeccyB all the best with the low carb - you will not 'fail', and it's great that the voice that's using that word is so quiet, as you've said - because every step of any journey (not just the low carb one you're embarking on, but journeys both metaphorical and tangible) gets you some way towards your goal.

Have fun with food - I'm loving the sound of your plans - I love making food from scratch, and enjoy the 'me' time I get from indulging in inventing new salad combinations, omelette recipes (ohhhhh the indulgence of seeing just how much Philly, Brie and spinach can be crammed into a giant omelette) or experimenting with different seasonings etc. My husband eats the same stuff as me but with the addition of potatoes or bread or whatever, but I just don't fancy those, preferring instead my imaginative accompaniments which mostly involve loads of veg (which I love and which I crave).

Tonight we're having Rankin Irish pork and herb sausages, a variety of green veg and masses of caulicheese as described by @Brunneria further up in this thread. Husband will be offered mash and gravy as long as I can have the 'bigger half' of the caulicheese.... Pud will be my usual sugar free strawb jelly and homemade yoghurt.

I'm not 'low' carb, but the carbs I have are mostly from yoghurt, vegetables, occasional fruit, cocoa, home baked low carb goodies - when I do my pre-meal maths it does all still mount up, but I'm not experiencing anything like the spikes I used to. All thanks to this forum and my Freestyle Libre.

I do have 25g oats as part of my breakfast but I fuel my swimming with it (although I've not been for nearly 3 weeks now as have been poorly). Porridge before swimming, boiled eggs after. Scrum!

And that journey I was talking about? Remember that wagons aren't all high-sided with safety belts, so so what if some of us fall off them now and again? ;)

:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s It is on my records that one doctor reckons I am "almost certainly slow evolving type 1" However I was never tested for antibodies or c-pep. We do have history of autoimmune conditions in my family - I have been successfully treated for Grave's disease years ago and my daughter's thyroid was completely burnt out by Hashimoto's - she is still in her twenties. My dsn is lovely and keeping close eye on things - 3 monthly checks. I am determined to do as much as I can for myself without resorting to more pills in the meantime. Thanks for your advice, it is something I will definitely act on if I can't keep it under control.
Hi Julie, it's worth acting on it now. You are currently being treated as a type 2 with Metformin to decrease your insulin resistance and Sitagliptin, a DPP-4 inhibitor. What Sitagliptin does is suppresses glucagon and increases the release of Insulin. This is not a good thing if you are a LADA as by increasing the secretion of insulin it increases your secretion of pro-insulin and therefore is likely to increase the auto-immune attack on the beta cells. In so doing, you are running the risk of greater damage to your beta cells than is necessary or desired, especially as future treatments seem to focus on the remaining beta cells, so retaining them as best as possible seems to be a sensible approach. I'm pinging @LucySW as someone with experience in this area.

Reactions: 8 people

iHs

Sainsburys for sure do gluten free meat sausages - Taste The Difference that are more or less meat and virtually 2g carb per sausauge - Toulouse and Sicillian. Asda also sell gluten free and probably Tesco and Waitrose. Polish sausages are also high meat content. No need to spend a fortune anymore.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Having sausages for dinner today from asda I am unsure what content they are but my hubby loves them

S

serenity648

Sainsburys for sure do gluten free meat sausages - Taste The Difference that are more or less meat and virtually 2g carb per sausauge - Toulouse and Sicillian. Asda also sell gluten free and probably Tesco and Waitrose. Polish sausages are also high meat content. No need to spend a fortune anymore.

I hadnt thought of gluten free - thanks : )