Why don't some people get it?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's just calm down a bit. I asked a simple question, I didn't want it to turn into a fight.

As for me coping in a year @jopar thanks for taking the pessimist view that I probably won't (otherwise why suggest it?) - believe me, I will - failure is not an option Lose a leg to cancer when 19 and you soon learn that.

On that note I'm off for my daily swim then some quality time outdoors. The ☀️ is out in London, got to make the most of it

Edited: to remove typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@PenfoldAPD
Taking the "Failure is not an option" route will probably doom you to success:p If it doesn't you can always say "At least I tried:cool:"
With your great "trier" attitude i can understand how you can puzzle at those who don't make a go of things.
Personally I I have have sympathy for those who can't make a go of dealing with D, but slightly les for those who won't try things first! ( If you try something and then decide, after trying that it isn't right for you then you have tried and made a decision based on experience, totally different to rejecting things blindly)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It is down to personality, our traits and short comings too. Some people are happy to plod on, nothing happens to them, 'no one tell me what to do, 'I have been eating this way, or smoking for years' etc or the head in the sand syndrome. I am not a low carber, but have reduced carbs. Whatever works for that individual, must be a good thing for them. We can suggest or say certain things to encourage and be supportive, but at the end of the day it is down to that person. Some members can be on 30 carbs per day, some double that and both still have good numbers.
Some are just very blinkered.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is down to personality, our traits and short comings too. Some people are happy to plod on, nothing happens to them, 'no one tell me what to do, 'I have been eating this way, or smoking for years' etc or the head in the sand syndrome.
Absolutely spot on description of my cousin who is in palliative care with a combination of end stage emphysema, alcoholism and anorexia. Every word out of her mouth for the past many, many years has been along those lines. Maybe I'm harsh, but her failure to deal with reality has put her whole family through years of torture and I have very little sympathy left for what she has brought upon herself. The long suffering immediate family are the true sufferers, IMHO.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
but it would be interesting to see if in a years time, will he still be saying the same...

Imagine he will. At least his positive attitude says a lot more than others

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Absolutely spot on description of my cousin who is in palliative care with a combination of end stage emphysema, alcoholism and anorexia. Every word out of her mouth for the past many, many years has been along those lines. Maybe I'm harsh, but her failure to deal with reality has put her whole family through years of torture and I have very little sympathy left for what she has brought upon herself. The long suffering immediate family are the true sufferers, IMHO.

Agree with you Indy and that's what made my daughter fatherless at the age of 11.

have edited this thread, because I don't want to derail, by going off track.
I hope the thread will continue to be a positive one for members who wish to change their diet, their well being or their lifestyles in general.
Have a good day folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now getting PM's saying I offended people with this post. If I have I can only apologise, but if you read my posts you should know that was never my intention.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed, I appreciate all replies.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm now getting PM's saying I offended people with this post. If I have I can only apologise, but if you read my posts you should know that was never my intention.

I think you have conducted yourself perfectly well on the thread. Either, don't reply (as in don't take the bait) or if any pm is offensive, then please report it.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can block PMs if you like @PenfoldAPD

I had to block new PMs from people because they kept asking questions. I aways used to reply with 'please ask this question on the open forum, other people are probably wondering the same thing, and you will get a much better range of answers from the posters than just me.'

Feel the same about issues with your perfectly acceptable OP. You politely asked a question and offered a premptive apology in case it offended. No need to repeat your apology. Yet now you get critical PMs.

I think that this has been a great thread. Except for a few obvious exceptions the posts have been interesting, supportive and useful. Thank you for starting it. :D

Reactions: 10 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely agree with @Robinredbreast and @Brunneria.

If people are so wimpy that they won't address their complaint to you on the open forum, then I think you're well within your rights to completely ignore them or report them if the message is offensive.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@serenity648 I agree that it is difficult to ignore the healthcare professionals and try LCHF, I've described it previously as a leap of faith. If you can get hold of a copy of "The Real Meal Revolution" it has lots of information on the science behind low carb as well as some very good recipes. Your fbg seems to be coming down though (from what I recall on the fbg thread) so it seems like you're heading in the right direction :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Report them.
I may not agree with everything on here, but no one should ever complain about you having a right to say it.
You've not been offensive, if people don't like your opinions, they can either choose to post, or not to post on this thread.
You can set your preferences so you don't accept pm's.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenfoldAPD I agree with the others. You haven't said anything offensive. As someone who has had T2 for over 4 years I found your enthusiasm inspiring. Report the PMs. IMO if someone thinks you were offensive on a thread then they should say so on the thread.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenfoldAPD

I totally agree with the above posters that you have in no way been offensive. You have been perfectly polite and friendly. Anyone that has a different opinion should say so openly.
You have done nothing wrong.
Well done on your achievements and enthusiasm.

Reactions: 3 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

If you have offended some people with the post then some peple get easily offeded where no offence was meant!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People, let's get a bit respectful here.

As I see it, not one of us will be managing our conditions in the same way as the next person. We might follow very similar themes, but we each have different preferences and tolerances to and for all manner of things, from foodstuffs to behaviour.

Whilst I agree we all should be choosing our own way of managing our conditions, the hard facts are, @jopar, that many T2s who would like to be medication-free or to minimise there pharmaceutical intake, the only real option they have is to modify their diet to suit their condition. It just so happens that for many T2s that includes reducing their carb intake, and sometimes substantially. Sometimes those choices are about wider lifestyle, not just the today. I travel a lot, and am in the midst of a 4 month trip overseas. It's simply just so much simpler not to have to plan medication or adjust it, if the heat, or whatever, affects my reactions. So, my desired lifestyle helps with my current determination.

Not one of us knows what the future holds, and I cannot imagine any of us is cracking on with life hoping for a dreadful outcome. We each do our best, to our knowledge, at any given time.

I have passionately wanted to remain meds-free, and for a couple of years, so far, I have managed that, and managed to stay away from the borders of diabetes and pre-diabetes HbA1cs and remain extremely well and motivated. I have posted elsewhere, at other times, that if I became unwell or unwilling to manage myself in this way, at some point in the future, then I might have to accept medication. Until then, I'll do what I can.

Of course, we all see people arrive on the forum who appear that they will always struggle, for whatever reason, and doubtless, accepting decent pharmaceutical support is the appropriate way to safeguard their future wellbeing for as long as possible.

T1s often have different options in play.

This condition really doesn't have a one-size fits all way of management, or none of us would be here talking at all. We'd watch a couple of quick YouTube videos, read the leaflets from out HCP and live happily ever after. If only.

So, come on guys, let's settle down. I would hate this thread to have to be closed, or for posters to be curtailed in their activities.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm cool, I'm not reporting anyone - the PM wasn't nasty, just stating that they were offended and tell me to 'choose my words more wisely' ...! Each to their own eh?

But hey, I've had a wonderful walk through Hyde Park this afternoon, I'm calm and relaxed ... And will continue to post and comment.

Thank you for those of you who have supported me.

Reactions: 18 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hyde Park on a Saturday? Tell me you didn't go near Marble Arch, if so, you're a brave man - the tailbacks are usually horrendous!
Glad you're chilled. Glad you haven't been put off posting. 'Nuff said:D

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tube from home to Hyde Park Corner - then a lovely stroll right through the park. No hassle, joyful - I'm super chilled

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's just calm down a bit. I asked a simple question, I didn't want it to turn into a fight.

As for me coping in a year @jopar thanks for taking the pessimist view that I probably won't (otherwise why suggest it?) - believe me, I will - failure is not an option Lose a leg to cancer when 19 and you soon learn that.

On that note I'm off for my daily swim then some quality time outdoors. The ☀️ is out in London, got to make the most of it

Edited: to remove typos

Hi,

Just been reading your thread.. Speaking as a T1 of 40 years. You have my utmost respect sir.!
Low carb food can be interesting.. In fact it's ruddy good!
I am on no other meds, other than insulin & yarp, it it fair to say "one" can (in therory.) bolus for cake.? But even the way insulin profiles with counteracting such a high carb "delights", one might as well be "bowling for soup". :banghead:

Keep up the good work young man.. :cool:

Reactions: 7 people