HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Good evening everyone
Why I find a problem with protein ? Always why ?
I lost a couple of kilos in recent months and this is not good for me and it might be nice for some here because I not need it So I decided to increase the protein meal in the evening Indeed, eating two eggs every evening. The result was bad. My FBS this evening was 7.1 why?

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone
I lost a couple of kilos in recent months and this is not good for me and it might be nice for some here because I not need it So I decided to increase the protein meal in the evening Indeed, eating two eggs every evening. The result was bad. My FBS this evening was 7.1 why?
What did you have with the eggs? And how were they cooked?

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In the absence of fats and carbs the body will use protein to produce energy. Protein is a bit inefficient as a fuel because it takes more energy to convert to glucose. It is better for us with T2 to use fats for fuel and use protein for growth and repair.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
In the absence of fats and carbs the body will use protein to produce energy. Protein is a bit inefficient as a fuel because it takes more energy to convert to glucose. It is better for us with T2 to use fats for fuel and use protein for growth and repair.
Hi guzzler
What kinds of fats do you mean?
Also, I can not use fat alone as a meal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest you probably need to test before and after eating to gauge your body's reactions rather than just looking at post meal readings.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening everyone
According to Dr Bernstein, protein raises bg about half as much as carbs. Fat should not raise bg at all, unless a person is eating a huge meal that distends their digestive system too much, which also raises bg. Eggs do contain some carbs. An egg yolk contains about 0.6g carb. Some people including myself find that they have more of a problem with carbs in the evening. I try to eat eggs for lunch, when I cope best with carbs, and eat chicken or salmon in the morning and evening. I agree, we can't eat just fat alone, but we can pay attention to adding as much fat as possible to our meals.

Like you I need to gain weight rather than lose it. At present I seem to have stabilised by standing the usual "healthy eating" precepts on their head and buying full-fat Greek yoghurt, double cream instead of milk for my tea and coffee, chicken legs rather than breast, full-fat cheese - you get the idea. I have also increased the protein in my diet.

To assess the effect of your meals you do need to test just before eating and then at 1 hour and 2 hours afterwards. You may also need to test at 3 hours and even 4 at first to see how high your bg goes and when it comes down.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi guzzler
What kinds of fats do you mean?
Also, I can not use fat alone as a meal

Fats in meat and dairy, butter, tallow cream, yoghurt etc as well as healthy oils such as olive oil and coconut oil. To your two eggs, for example, I would add: one more egg, cheese, perhaps a little watercress or a few baby spinach leaves, salt and pepper. I would make an omelette of these ingredients and cook using butter.
This spells a meal with very few carbs, moderate protein and high healthy fats.