Why was I needing 140+units of mixed insulin on a 30g carb diet?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are talking about percentages of energy, right? A diet with 80%fat by weight probably would make you fat.
No ratio. Have I worked this out wrong?
Can you clarify, for this thicko? lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes it's talking about calories. Someone who eats 1650 calories a day would obtain 1320 of those from fats if getting 80% of calories from fats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you real believe if I do this I will lose weight which in turn reduce my insulin resistance?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No ratio. Have I worked this out wrong?
Can you clarify, for this thicko? lol
On a 2000 calorie per day diet you'd have 178 grams of fat, 75 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbs. That equals 80E% fat, 15E% protein and 5E% carbs.

In your situation I'd look into your thyroid medication too. I do sooo much better on NDT than I did on levo.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you real believe if I do this I will lose weight which in turn reduce my insulin resistance?

I know that this is the LCHF approach that has worked for others (and me). As @Totto mentions, Thyroid meds could also have an impact.

On your 1650 calories a day, for lchf, you would be splitting it to:

1320 calories from fat = 147g of fat
248 calories of protein = 62g of protein
84 calories from carbs = 21g of carbs

None of us can tell you it will definitely work, but you won't know if it does unless you try it and you'll have to stick to it for a minimum of six weeks to really see if you are getting effects.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know that this is the LCHF I'll make a fresh startpproach that has worked for others (and me). As @Totto mentions, Thyroid meds could also have an impact.

On your 1650 calories a day, for lchf, you would be splitting it to:

1320 calories from fat = 147g of fat
248 calories of protein = 62g of protein
84 calories from carbs = 21g of carbs

None of us can tell you it will definitely work, but you won't know if it does unless you try it and you'll have to stick to it for a minimum of six weeks to really see if you are getting effects.
Thanks @tim2000 for your help.
I need more groceries so come tuesday evening I'll make a start. Thanks again.
Ps. Unless my gp pays for natural thyroid I cannot sustain the regular source financially. That may change.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could ask to try lio along with levo, it works well for some. What are your thyroid results?

sud5nala

An excerpt online from the book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution explains "the insulin/fat connection". It tackles how one can get fat by eating almost no fat. After the first couple of paragraphs, it gets highly technical.

Insulin is needed for the metabolism of fats and proteins, as well as carbs.

You can gain weight on a diet of any composition if your digestion is efficient (just about all the nutrients that were swallowed get digested and absorbed) and the calorie content exceeds the daily activity. Other people here following LCHF have written about eating more fat or less fat in order to achieve a desired weight change.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Insulin causes weight gain so I am wondering about it and lchf

No it doesn't. Every time someone says this, they need to be given a good talking to.

Insulin restricts the bodies ability to burn fat as a fuel source and one of its functions is to allow adipose cells to store fat.

Insulin alone DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN. Eating more food of the wrong type than you need is what causes weight gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it doesn't. Every time someone says this, they need to be given a good talking to.

Insulin restricts the bodies ability to burn fat as a fuel source and one of its functions is to allow adipose cells to store fat.

Insulin alone DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN. Eating more food than you need is what causes weight gain.

Hmmmm. That sounds a little harsh to a fat T2 like me. It is the insulin resistance that makes many of us fat, which causes too much insulin to be released when carbs are consumed. If you are insulin resistant then you don't need to eat alot of carbs to put on weight because the excess insulin produced makes you fat. I can lose weight on 2300 cals a day if those cals are 90% + fat cals. However I put on weight on say 1300 cals a day if I have more than 80g carbs. So it's the amount of carbs (and protein) we eat that causes obesity, not necessarily the total amount of food. It's the quality of the food that matters more than the quantity.

I believed I was eating too much food for many years and kept cutting my total calorie intake. I kept putting on weight so kept reducing the amount I ate. It seemed the logical thing to do. This slowed my metabolism and eventually made me even fatter. Eating less food can make you fatter in the long term, as many of us failed dieters can tell you. So I would like to change your last statement to 'eating more carbs (and protein) than your body can cope with causes weight gain '.