Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@stephenlopez - driving with diabetes only becomes a real danger if you are taking insulin or glicazide, which may give you a hypo (very low blood sugar that can lead to a coma). Otherwise in the case of Metformin, as others have said, will not give you a hypo but may result in a messy "accident" of a different kind!

Assuming you're not on any meds and as you're not driving until next week, best start eating low-carb as soon as you can beforehand so that you'll be well adjusted to low-carb by the time you're behind the wheel. Some people, within a couple of days of switching to low carb, start feeling fluey as their bodies adapt, but this does not last long.

All being well, by next week you'll be feeling much sharper and more able to tackle a long journey. If you feel you need to take snacks for the road, some cubes of cheese or ham, or some salted nuts and water and/or coffee will keep you sharp.

Reactions: rom35

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't believe you need to worry about travel at this stage but do get hold of glucose meter and check that your blood sugar isn't noticeably creeping up. Look for less then 8.5mmol 2 hours after a meal. I agree with @catapillar that you need to bear in mind the possibility of being T1 and not T2. GPs often mis-diagnose this if you are slim and possibly young. So if you are not overweight and having a low-carb diet then ask the GP for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and c-peptide. A negative GAD doesn't mean you aren't T1 but the c-peptide which measures your insulin production is a fairly good guide.

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, Thank you all, now I'm pretty much ready for my road trip and I'm carrying only boiled eggs with me, the rest I'll eat at restaurants. I will make sure that there is not too much sugar. Also, I'm not driving as I actually can't drive :hilarious:

Also, When I was searching the web for advice to travel with diabetes, I found this important information by none other than Dr. Oz:

Holiday season is around the corner, and you might be planning to travel with your family or friends; either by road or air. Travel seems easy until you suffer from a health condition like diabetes. If a person with diabetes wants to travel, he/she really needs to prepare a lot before stepping out. Thanks to Dr. Oz and his amazing tips that are sure to transform irksome travel into a rewarding experience for people with diabetes.

• He suggests checking the blood sugar level before traveling, and make sure that they are above 100, and stays in level, i.e., above 100 during the complete travel duration. He also suggested packing appropriate food items, such as apple, cranberries, peanut butter, protein bars, etc. while traveling. One should always be concerned about the symptoms of low blood sugar levels like sweating, fatigue, confusion, or lightheadedness that you feel while driving. In case you feel any of this, just pull over and eat something you have packed to bring your blood sugar level back to the normal.
  • He also offers some tips that can help people with diabetes in traveling longer distances without hassles. These are as follows:
  • Check out whether your insurance company covers you when you are traveling. If not, modify your insurance plan and choose the one that covers your health while you travel.
  • Create a list and mention all the essential items such as prescribed medicines, pen needles, syringes, etc. that you might need while you travel. Provide the same list to the people, who are traveling with you, so that they can also stock up the necessary stuff in case you miss something.
  • Pack everything properly and put labels on them, so that it becomes easy to use them in case of an emergency.
  • Carry two pieces of everything even the medicines as travel might damage stuff like glucometers and insulin. Having two pieces of everything ensures that you have a backup in case of an emergency.
  • Keep a copy of your “prescription” with you. There are chances that you might lose your bag and in that case, you will lose your medicines too. In such a condition, buying medicines from a pharmacy certainly becomes difficult without prescriptions. Carrying a copy of prescription provides you a backup for medical emergencies.
In the end of his blog, Dr. Oz writes, “Once you’ve put in the effort to set up a travel plan, you’ll ensure a smoother trip without all the stress of being away from home. Whether you’re jet-setting off to a faraway adventure or simply returning home for the holidays, I wish you and yours a safe and healthy journey.”

Sorry for the long stuff but I'm not able to give the link to this article, but I hope that this article is going to help everyone who gets diagnosed with diabetes in future.

Reactions: ickihun

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@stephenlopez The statement "I will make sure that there is not too much sugar." should be changed to "I will make sure that there is not too much sugar and carbohydrates". Emblazon it across your forehead.

Dr Oz seems geared towards more Type 1 dudes.

Glenn

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@stephenlopez The statement "I will make sure that there is not too much sugar." should be changed to "I will make sure that there is not too much sugar and carbohydrates". Emblazon it across your forehead.

Dr Oz seems geared towards more Type 1 dudes.

Glenn
I double agree this @stephenlopez.
This is the only advice any type2 needs to enjoy their holiday too.
Thanks @Crocodile I couldnt sum it up better. :)

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Just be aware that Metformin often causes stomach upsets. It took me a while to get used to it and now I have reduced the amount I take by going low carb.
I travel quite a lot and having type2 has never been a problem. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Well, Thank you all, now I'm pretty much ready for my road trip and I'm carrying only boiled eggs with me, the rest I'll eat at restaurants. I will make sure that there is not too much sugar. Also, I'm not driving as I actually can't drive :hilarious:

Also, When I was searching the web for advice to travel with diabetes, I found this important information by none other than Dr. Oz:

Holiday season is around the corner, and you might be planning to travel with your family or friends; either by road or air. Travel seems easy until you suffer from a health condition like diabetes. If a person with diabetes wants to travel, he/she really needs to prepare a lot before stepping out. Thanks to Dr. Oz and his amazing tips that are sure to transform irksome travel into a rewarding experience for people with diabetes.

• He suggests checking the blood sugar level before traveling, and make sure that they are above 100, and stays in level, i.e., above 100 during the complete travel duration. He also suggested packing appropriate food items, such as apple, cranberries, peanut butter, protein bars, etc. while traveling. One should always be concerned about the symptoms of low blood sugar levels like sweating, fatigue, confusion, or lightheadedness that you feel while driving. In case you feel any of this, just pull over and eat something you have packed to bring your blood sugar level back to the normal.
  • He also offers some tips that can help people with diabetes in traveling longer distances without hassles. These are as follows:
  • Check out whether your insurance company covers you when you are traveling. If not, modify your insurance plan and choose the one that covers your health while you travel.
  • Create a list and mention all the essential items such as prescribed medicines, pen needles, syringes, etc. that you might need while you travel. Provide the same list to the people, who are traveling with you, so that they can also stock up the necessary stuff in case you miss something.
  • Pack everything properly and put labels on them, so that it becomes easy to use them in case of an emergency.
  • Carry two pieces of everything even the medicines as travel might damage stuff like glucometers and insulin. Having two pieces of everything ensures that you have a backup in case of an emergency.
  • Keep a copy of your “prescription” with you. There are chances that you might lose your bag and in that case, you will lose your medicines too. In such a condition, buying medicines from a pharmacy certainly becomes difficult without prescriptions. Carrying a copy of prescription provides you a backup for medical emergencies.
In the end of his blog, Dr. Oz writes, “Once you’ve put in the effort to set up a travel plan, you’ll ensure a smoother trip without all the stress of being away from home. Whether you’re jet-setting off to a faraway adventure or simply returning home for the holidays, I wish you and yours a safe and healthy journey.”

Sorry for the long stuff but I'm not able to give the link to this article, but I hope that this article is going to help everyone who gets diagnosed with diabetes in future.

Take a deep breath and throw all that away.:)

Until further notice you are T2 on Metformin plus a sensible diet (that is, low carbohydrate not just "low sugar").

Virtually all the advice from Dr. Oz is for T1/T2 on insulin or other insulin boosting drugs which may give you a hypo.

Is this kind of advice why you are worrying about being sick on the journey? If so, deep breath and exhale - this does NOT apply to you.

The good bit of advice for you is to make sure any travel insurance provider is notified of your diagnosis. Generally T2 with Metformin should not cause any problems with insurance.

You are still in the headless chicken stage (quite understandably) where you haven't yet worked out which bits of advice apply to you and which don't. Beware big time of any article which gives generic advice to "diabetics". A lot of them assume more knowledge than the average newly diagnosed has, and assume you will skip the rest as soon as you see mention of needles and stuff.

Loads of stuff about dealing with low blood sugar levels and packing sugary snacks to take if you have a hypo. Also about maintaining a steady BG level of above 100 (5.6 in old money). There is virtually no chance of a newly diagnosed T2 on Metformin having a hypo. This is not the advice you are looking for.
[Additional note: I thought T1s were supposed to aim higher than 100/5.6 when driving to give more leeway for a BG drop without going hypo.]

Anyway, have a wonderful holiday and check your BG levels regularly. Very sensible when you have just been diagnosed. Please ask for a cross check before you assume any piece of Internet advice applies to you. There is a lot of good advice around, and a lot of stuff which can be misleading. Takes a while to work out which is which.

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a deep breath and throw all that away.:)

Until further notice you are T2 on Metformin plus a sensible diet (that is, low carbohydrate not just "low sugar").

Virtually all the advice from Dr. Oz is for T1/T2 on insulin or other insulin boosting drugs which may give you a hypo.

Is this kind of advice why you are worrying about being sick on the journey? If so, deep breath and exhale - this does NOT apply to you.

The good bit of advice for you is to make sure any travel insurance provider is notified of your diagnosis. Generally T2 with Metformin should not cause any problems with insurance.

You are still in the headless chicken stage (quite understandably) where you haven't yet worked out which bits of advice apply to you and which don't. Beware big time of any article which gives generic advice to "diabetics". A lot of them assume more knowledge than the average newly diagnosed has, and assume you will skip the rest as soon as you see mention of needles and stuff.

Loads of stuff about dealing with low blood sugar levels and packing sugary snacks to take if you have a hypo. Also about maintaining a steady BG level of above 100 (5.6 in old money). There is virtually no chance of a newly diagnosed T2 on Metformin having a hypo. This is not the advice you are looking for.
[Additional note: I thought T1s were supposed to aim higher than 100/5.6 when driving to give more leeway for a BG drop without going hypo.]

Anyway, have a wonderful holiday and check your BG levels regularly. Very sensible when you have just been diagnosed. Please ask for a cross check before you assume any piece of Internet advice applies to you. There is a lot of good advice around, and a lot of stuff which can be misleading. Takes a while to work out which is which.

Thank you, I really forgot about the travel insurance. I'll get it figured out today. Also, I'm studying about diabetes as much possible so that I can help myself and others in this forum too. I mean we all are standing on the same side of the road, so why don't we cross it together?!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thank you, I really forgot about the travel insurance. I'll get it figured out today. Also, I'm studying about diabetes as much possible so that I can help myself and others in this forum too. I mean we all are standing on the same side of the road, so why don't we cross it together?!

In case we all get hit by the same bus.

Last edited:

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are flying any considerable distance - the "diabetic" special meals on aircraft are quite high carb - tailored to Type 1.
(though you do get served first)

Reactions: stephenlopez