Why???

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I have to step onto the soap box about something that has been bugging me since I joined this community... This is not about doctors or anything of that nature, just about US!

We are all DIABETICS, be it type 1 or type 2, so why are there so many people in here arguing when someone posts a reply to someone's post with a personal opinion or personal experience, making it look like the answering person has no idea what they are talking about.... We are adding our personal opinions and personal experiences and try to give advice to the best of our ability from what we are going through ourselves.... There is no need to belittle someone's post when it doesn't match your own opinion/ experience. We may all be diabetic and take pretty much the same kind of actions to control things and change our lifestyle for the better, but we all react differently to different foods from the next person. However, that does not mean the next person's statement on here, advice or explaination is WRONG and they need to be made to feel bad enough to not want to post on here again. This place is for SUPPORT, when no one else can put themselves into your shoes and know how you feel, there is no need for rudness!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I couldn't agree more Eiche, each and everyone of us are entitled to share our own experiences on our journey in the hope that it may benefit others, however a line has to be drawn when opinions could cause harm to others! Example's are telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent, telling someone that a bg of 3mmol is nothing to worry about, or advising members to adopt a new diet without knowing their previous medical history, all of which I have seen on this forum time and time again, where experiences and opinions are deemed dangerous they should always be removed in the first instance to stop potential harm to others.........no matter how well meaning they may be! :)

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the PC answer.

Another one is that open discussion is not allowed here for fear of possible repurcussions. It bothers me GREATLY that discussion here is not allowed to flourish.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
That's the PC answer.

On the contrary Patch, it's the common sense answer! :)

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
...so why are there so many people in here arguing when someone posts a reply to someone's post with a personal opinion or personal experience, making it look like the answering person has no idea what they are talking about.... We are adding our personal opinions and personal experiences and try to give advice to the best of our ability from what we are going through ourselves.... There is no need to belittle someone's post when it doesn't match your own opinion/ experience.

Thanks for proving the OP's point, Nige.

Don't worry about it too much, Eiche - it's been going on for a while. It's a shame, I know.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This is a Forum for ALL diabetic‘s which is why there can be differences of opinion on a lot of topics on here! We aim, not only to support but to educate so that members can self empower themselves in the control of their OWN diabetes.

We try and have the most accurate, safe and up to date information on the Board. Misinformation or unsafe information will always be challenged by the Monitors/Moderators for the safety of less experienced members.

We have a great mix of members here, not only Type 1 and 2 CFRD, MODY, LADA , in fact probably every type of Diabetic ! All sorts of various diets which members have passionate opinions about. Some members have a live and let live mentality while others feel the need to preach about THEIR way of control being the only method.

However, in all this diverse opinion and discussion one thing comes through and that is the information from different sections which can be read by all so that they get the benefit of lots of experiences rather than just one point of view.

Discussion is not stifled here, it flourishes all over the Board. Some members’ opinions are at variance with others but that does not make either of them wrong or right just opposite opinions.

I seem to have written this so many times before. Here is one of them.

by sugarless sue » 09 Mar 2009 21:31

To all Newbies who have found this forum, welcome.

You are joining a community of some of the most caring, compassionate, empathic people it has been my good fortune to cyber-meet.

Like all communities the members are a diverse lot. There are eccentrics, pessimists, members who take and say little but that is OK because we all have one thing in common, Diabetes. We help, suggest, discuss and generally try and understand and control this condition.

You will come across posts which are confusing, volatile, and at times very argumentative, especially on the controversial subject of diets ! Please do not let this put you off !! Sort the wheat from the chaff and find what will work for you and will help you control your diabetes.

We do not as such give medical advice or offer diagnosis on the site but each brings their own many and diverse experiences to the board which they offer to help one another.
It is not permitted to mention HCP's and locations by name on the forum. If you do they will be removed.

No question is ever too silly to ask. There is always someone who knows the answer or can point you in the direction to find that answer.

We hope that you will find your answer and will stay, like many others have, and help the next set of confused newly diagnosed cope with their diabetes.

benedict

Administrator
Patch said:
Another one is that open discussion is not allowed here for fear of possible repurcussions. It bothers me GREATLY that discussion here is not allowed to flourish.

Hi Patch, I'd say that a forum like this does have a certain amount of responsibility towards what is posted on it and sometimes it can be tricky to draw the line in the right place. If you feel that the discussion is being held back unnecessarily at any point, please drop me a PM and I'll give it my attention.

All the best
Benedict

josie38

Hi Eiche,

I agree with you. This should be about support for each other but you always find one noddy know it all on a thread who makes out that the other posters dont know what they are talking about. What works for one may not work for someone else. If you want to try what someone does then you should feel free to do that and not have someone post that its not right.

Some posters should remember that they dont have the qualifications to advise and should just pass on personal experience and not pass it on as gospel and make out that they know more than others.

Got that off my chest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You would probably be very surprised to know we have many highly qualified people on this forum because they don't go around 'bragging' about how qualified they actually are to speak on certain subjects.

It isn't all about 'personal experiences' either, sometimes if somebody tells a new member something which patently isn't correct then any caring person should always challenge that 'opinion' to prevent a fellow Diabetic from making a mistake that they might not know anything about. Sometimes the 'opinion' posted can be dangerous. Nobody who cares about their fellow Diabetic's should ignore such things.......leave them unchallenged. That would be tantamount to condoning such things.

Knowledge is a two way street, we should ALL share our knowledge.......what people do with it is a matter for them. At least they have had the benefit of the advice, even if they don't do anything about it.......you can ignore it, you can do it, you can ridicule it......at least it has been said.

To say nothing, to do nothing, leave new members to find out the hard way, what sort of support is that :(

People forget, this Forum is based on mutual support and sharing of knowledge so that other Diabetic's get a better start than many of us had.......so, I welcome all the 'noddy know it all's', wherever they may be from, whatever their own personal experiences.

The more information out there, the more information shared, the more pieces of the jig-saw puzzle that is Diabetes which are shared on this Forum then the better informed and better controlled those Diabetic's will be.

Surely that is what matters rather than somebody's opinion being challenged.......debate and discussion are the way to better knowledge. To not say something is to allow the pedlars of mis-information and 'quacks' to have free rein......something THIS Forum will never do.

Glad I got that off my chest.......

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
Example's are telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent,
What's wrong with suggesting someone should check with a doctor before taking a new medicine? I would have thought that would be the safest way to go about it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HLW said:
noblehead said:
Example's are telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent,
What's wrong with suggesting someone should check with a doctor before taking a new medicine? I would have thought that would be the safest way to go about it.

HLW, you have misinterpreted my post I'm afraid, what I was saying that members shouldn't stop taking medication on the advice of someone on here without fist discussing this with their gp. There has been incidents in the past where members have expressed strong opinions on certain meds and implied that they should stop taking them, this advice is wrong and could be dangerous hence why such posts should be deleted straight away, as a rule the forum mods and monitors have always been quick to pick-up on this ill-conceived advice.......... thankfully!

Hope that clears things up for you! :)

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Eiche, I guess to some it might appear odd that some threads tend towards conflict of one sort or another, but having posted on forums of one sort or another for around 10 years or so and even administering a fishing forum for around 6 years I have to say that all the best forums without exception are like this, it just shows that people are passionate about the subjects being discussed, you may not agree with some posters but a forum where everyone has the same views is a very boring place to visit and generally ends up with a bunch of cyber friends slapping each other on the back and telling each other how wonderful they are, I'm sure many people here know of one or two forums like that :wink:

Vive la différence, rather a few trolls than a flock of sheep IMHO

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
HLW said:
noblehead said:

HLW, you have misinterpreted my post I'm afraid, what I was saying that members shouldn't stop taking medication on the advice of someone on here without fist discussing this with their gp.
OK that makes more sense! However you might like to re-word your post so it is a little clearer? Dispite what the PM that I assume you have recently recieved from another member (I was sent it too by mistake) says, I am not an illiterate idiot unanble to understand the written word, so someone else might misread your post too?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I have re-read Noblehead's post several times and cannot put the interpretation on it that you did HLW.

however a line has to be drawn when opinions could cause harm to others! Example's are telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent, telling someone that a bg of 3mmol is nothing to worry about, or advising members to adopt a new diet without knowing their previous medical history, all of which I have seen on this forum time and time again, where experiences and opinions are deemed dangerous they should always be removed in the first instance to stop potential harm to others.........no matter how well meaning they may be!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HLW said:
OK that makes more sense! However you might like to re-word your post so it is a little clearer? Dispite what the PM that I assume you have recently recieved from another member (I was sent it too by mistake) says, I am not an illiterate idiot unanble to understand the written word, so someone else might misread your post too?

I don't think I need to make it any clearer than it is HLW, as for the PM I have no idea what you are talking about! :? Just remember that the forum monitors have recently warned people about misuse of the pm facility by certain members and this may be worth posting again to remind all.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sugarless sue said:
I have re-read Noblehead's post several times and cannot put the interpretation on it that you did HLW.
He is listing things that people have said that could cause harm to others. one of the things that he says others have said is "telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent".

I would not think telling someone 'don't take that drug without your doctors consent' (that is, 'do not start taking that drug now, wait until you have asked your GP about it') could cause harm.

I doubted that was what noblehead meant (and of course it wasn't what he meant, see his reply), hence my post asking for clarification.

OK maybe I'm thick if that makes you happy, but other thick people might be reading this too, so Noblehead could easily reword the post to make it clearer.

Edit: noblehead, the PM was sent to me by mistake, I assume it was intended for you, it was from a third party. Maybe it was intended for someone else. It was about my reply to your post.

C

catherinecherub

Correct me if I am wrong Noblehead.

I interpret it as a member telling another member to stop some form of medication without liaising with their GP first. The one telling the other to stop taking it thinks they know more than the medical profession.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HLW said:
He is listing things that people have said that could cause harm to others. one of the things that he says others have said is "telling someone not to take a certain drug without their gp's consent".

I would not think telling someone 'don't take that drug without your doctors consent' (that is, 'do not start taking that drug now, wait until you have asked your GP about it') could cause harm.

Now I am lost HLW! :? The drug would have been prescribed in the first place by their gp, only they (gp) should be the ones to tell you to stop a treatment and not someone who is medically unqualified...........that for the last time is what I was trying to say!

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead, yes I know now what you meant, as I said in my reply to you:
HLW said:
OK that makes more sense! However you might like to re-word your post so it is a little clearer?
By 'OK that makes more sense!' I mean that correctly reading your post makes more sense than the way I misread it. The post I am suggesting you reword is the original one. Yes you might think it is clear, but as I misread it, others might too.

Please read further down the post you have just quoted, to see where I said "I doubted that was what noblehead meant (and of course it wasn't what he meant, see his reply), hence my post asking for clarification.".

I am trying to explain I misread your post, I am not trying to say that you said something that you did not! My interpretation of it was wrong, I am asking, can you make it more clear so it cannot be misinterpreted?

If you can't be bothered then OK, it is my problem for having dyspraxia and therefore misreading things, you do not have to take this into account at all, it is my problem, something wrong with me, my fault, not yours. I'm not being sarcastic or anything. It really is all my fault and no-one else's, so they should not have to go to the trouble of writing clearly and using the correct grammar and spelling etc ('excuses' has no apostrophe for example,GP should be capitalised etc, etc). Most people can still understand things written like this, I cannot always. Yes I know this is my problem, not something anyone else should have to go out of their way to accommodate, I am just trying to explain that while the post in question might have seemed perfectly clear to everyone else here, I misread it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
Correct me if I am wrong Noblehead.

I interpret it as a member telling another member to stop some form of medication without liaising with their GP first. The one telling the other to stop taking it thinks they know more than the medical profession.

That is correct! :D

Nigel