phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pancreatic Clamp
Well rather you than I
The clamp requires bilateral cannulation, arterialisation of blood flow to the vein,
From: Insulin levels in insulin resistance: phantom of the metabolic opera?
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/185 ... 24_fm.html

And most importantly the result of no or little insulin would be the same as in T1, (DKA) or similar to a totally uncontrolled late stage T2. (HONK) with your metbolism going into 'overdrive' in an attempt to provide energy.

in normal circumstances sufficient Insulin helps prevent the release and production of glucose in the liver. When insulin is deficient. The liver 'pours glucose into the circulation much more quickly than the tissues can metabolize. To provide the materials for this glucose production (gluconegenesis) protein in the muscles and fats in adipose tissue are broken down. Blood glucose levels rise.
At the same time fats also provide the materials for ketogenesis , As there is no insulin to act as a brake the concentrations can become very large causing acidosis. If the blood becomes too acidic it leads to coma and death (not a good idea)
Just leaving a bit of insulin would not be the answer either. This is what happens in HONK (hyperosmolar non‐ketotic diabetic coma ) There is not enough insulin to stop the overproduction from the liver so glucose levels soar, (typically over 33mol/l) as the concentration of glucose in the blood becomes higher, you may become confused and eventually fall into a coma. However there is enough insulin to stop the rapid production of ketones ..hence no acidosis..
(much more detail)
http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/85/1/69.full

The only way to prevent these thing would be to go on a 'starvation diet' as in pre insulin days You would lose weight but you wouldn't last long (average about 4 years and that included both T1 and 2s) but of cause there would be no point as that would be defeating the object!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Excellent informative post Phoenix. :)

Here's a simple explanation about this experimental procedure (Pancreatic Clamp) for those who were wondering what it was.

http://www.tbiomed.com/content/2/1/44

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
phoenix said:
And most importantly the result of no or little insulin would be the same as in T1, (DKA) or similar to a totally uncontrolled late stage T2. (HONK) with your metbolism going into 'overdrive' in an attempt to provide energy.

Thanks for that phoenix, ive not come across HONK before but I guess I could have been very close to it before diagnosis and it may explain both my high bg (29) and my weight loss prior to diagnosis, I am wondering if it could also have caused my Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) or high erratic heart beat, I had no recordable blood pressure at the doctors but my pulce was recorded at 188bpm at A&E
eek.gif
where my GP sent me after failing to take my bp.

They did at one time think I may have had a stroke or series of strokes but that thankfully proved not to be the case but I did have to undergo a full cardiac MOT, 24 hours tapes and echo cardiograms etc.

I will have to do some googling although a lot of the medical jargon goes over my head I'm afraid
blink.gif

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Wow, the first link I looked at says that risk factors for HONK include corticosteroid users which I was and under Vital signs that Tachycardia is common due to dehydration.

I am a little surprised that no one mentioned this to me at the time, although doctors do tend to under inform their patients, probably because they just don't have the time to explain all the jargon to people like me :lol:

Thanks again for filling in another blank for me phoenix :D

paula1974

When i was in Hosp I heard the word HONK too. I thought i misheard :oops: Exactly what is it? i know its to do with T2s but thats it.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Cheers Sid, that's the same one. I deleted mine as for some reason it wouldn't work....Good one. :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only if you were eating portions that were too big to start off.