Will 20% weightloss reverse my prediabetes?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4th day fasting FBG 4.9 weight 52.4 running out of steam. Had early dinner at 5pm and an apple later. Miss my low carb meals, but only one more day to go :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I lost if by a strict following of the Newcastle diet, shakes and veg, no fat.
I know I reversed it by eating carbs normally, and testing.

It will be interesting to see what results all these different variations of the diet give.
I like the no fat element. I tried hf but I started adding weight.

Reactions: kumera

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4th day fasting FBG 4.9 weight 52.4 running out of steam. Had early dinner at 5pm and an apple later. Miss my low carb meals, but only one more day to go :)
Hello, I've found your thread really interesting. I was diagnosed when I attended the prediabetic programme last year. On 30 September my HbA1c was 51.7 so I was too late for prediabetes. I weighed 102 kg, BMI of 30+ (obese) and waist on 44 ins, not a good look on a 49 year old woman.:( But I like a project, so jumped on the low carb, higher fat wagon. I was very sedentary before I started this process, so I started walking the dog for 45 minutes 3 times a week, cut my carbs to under 40g a day, not eating any of the obvious ones.
For the last 4 weeks I've weighed about 72 kg (30 lost), my BMI 21 (normal) and my waist measurement is now about 31 ins, my exercise is about an hour a 5/6 days a week, still just walking. But most important, in March my HbA1c was 39. :joyful:
At no point have I felt I've been on a diet. I have had to deprive myself of Walkers cheese and onion crisps :meh:, crunchies and scones:mad:, but then I was eating them on an industrial level, so changes had to be made.
I have lindt choccies as a treat. My pudding is mostly berries and cream. And every now and again I have chish and fips. My daily carbs have gone up to about 70g a day, and I'm eating more calories as I don't want to loose more weight. My challenge now as I see it is to maintain my current position.
I've continued on the prediabetic programme, and learnt loads (I still consider myself an beginner though). I really wish more could have this education. I became a diabetes bore and shoved LCHF at whoever I came across. I've since calmed down a bit, but I have noticed peeps around me eat less carbs. That must be a good thing.
Soz for the monologue guys, I didn't mean to go on, but I wish you well in your "journey". I know I wouldn't be as well as I am today without Diabetes.co,uk and this forum. Truly life changing...:D

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello, I've found your thread really interesting. I was diagnosed when I attended the prediabetic programme last year. On 30 September my HbA1c was 51.7 so I was too late for prediabetes. I weighed 102 kg, BMI of 30+ (obese) and waist on 44 ins, not a good look on a 49 year old woman.:( But I like a project, so jumped on the low carb, higher fat wagon. I was very sedentary before I started this process, so I started walking the dog for 45 minutes 3 times a week, cut my carbs to under 40g a day, not eating any of the obvious ones.
For the last 4 weeks I've weighed about 72 kg (30 lost), my BMI 21 (normal) and my waist measurement is now about 31 ins, my exercise is about an hour a 5/6 days a week, still just walking. But most important, in March my HbA1c was 39. :joyful:
At no point have I felt I've been on a diet. I have had to deprive myself of Walkers cheese and onion crisps :meh:, crunchies and scones:mad:, but then I was eating them on an industrial level, so changes had to be made.
I have lindt choccies as a treat. My pudding is mostly berries and cream. And every now and again I have chish and fips. My daily carbs have gone up to about 70g a day, and I'm eating more calories as I don't want to loose more weight. My challenge now as I see it is to maintain my current position.
I've continued on the prediabetic programme, and learnt loads (I still consider myself an beginner though). I really wish more could have this education. I became a diabetes bore and shoved LCHF at whoever I came across. I've since calmed down a bit, but I have noticed peeps around me eat less carbs. That must be a good thing.
Soz for the monologue guys, I didn't mean to go on, but I wish you well in your "journey". I know I wouldn't be as well as I am today without Diabetes.co,uk and this forum. Truly life changing...:D

Do you reckon you have actually reversed your diabetes, ie, you can eat a normal amount of carbs regularly, or are you diet controlled?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What diet/fast are you doing?

Sort of Michael Mosley's bloodsugar diet/ my own version that is sustainable for me. No BF, salad for lunch, Small stirfry vegies or similar for dinner. Lots of water. I'm really bad at counting calories, just can't do it, but I've got the Bloodsugar diets recipes and they're similar, they just add BF as well.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

wow well done congratulations Callyandy :):):):):):):):):) you are doing amazingly..

Kenners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sort of Michael Mosley's bloodsugar diet/ my own version that is sustainable for me. No BF, salad for lunch, Small stirfry vegies or similar for dinner. Lots of water. I'm really bad at counting calories, just can't do it, but I've got the Bloodsugar diets recipes and they're similar, they just add BF as well.
Are these books good (esp. the recipe book)? I have just been bought both but am not at home to get a look...

Lil'Edgy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yup there are times I think I'm completely reversed only to realize it's only because of being shielded like holding the shield of Captain America that I'm protected. I look at it as not so much being sick or vulnerable but I only have to hold up the shield at all times. The shield weighs about a sheet of paper. It's easy and the alternative is being really really sick.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

How many weeks are you doing it for?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm.. any diet that requires you to buy their product turns me right off it, and makes me question the research. I suppose doing it without ProLon, whatever it is, might be just as good??

The Fasting Mimicking Diet, or FMD, is the first meal program made of healthy natural ingredients that someone consumes for five days while the body doesn’t recognize it as food, and therefore remaining in a fasting mode. In simple terms, it is fasting with food!
ProLon FAQ

The very name...Fasting mimicking diet...means that it is trying to mimick the effects of fasting. So all I see is that his research on FMD diet validate the positive effects of water fasting for 3-5 days. :D

For people unwilling to fast or prefer prescriptions in clinical settings...then you can spend the US$300 or so on the 5 day diet. For me I would rather spend that US$300 for refeeding :D

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, You've done really well :) I didn't move very much either, the dog was getting older and couldn't walk far, my excuse!! Now I have a new puppy and I walk 30 min, 5 days a week. I'm really too skinny now, but just wanted to see if those beta cells actually can regenerate if you lose all bellyfat. I miss my dessert of berries and cream :( Saturday I'm going to go all out on LCHF has to gain some weight again, trying for muscle instead of fat, but it's pretty hard as I'm not really a gym person ;)

Reactions: callyandy

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How many weeks are you doing it for?
Well, my husband is away for 5 days so saw an opportunity to fast while he's away. Not really planning on doing this longer than 5 days anyway, as I will look anorexic and I am a bit vain :) But I might repeat it a bit later when I've gained some weight again.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The very name...Fasting mimicking diet...means that it is trying to mimick the effects of fasting. So all I see is that his research on FMD diet validate the positive effects of water fasting for 3-5 days. :D

For people unwilling to fast or prefer prescriptions in clinical settings...then you can spend the US$300 or so on the 5 day diet. For me I would rather spend that US$300 for refeeding :D
I'm sure you can do it with your own food as well, the results seem promising. I think I'll try 5 days fasting again in a months time and see if my response to carbs will get better :) Thanks for posting :D

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these books good (esp. the recipe book)? I have just been bought both but am not at home to get a look...
Well, I didn't get the first book, but the follow up with recipes. I think there's some good ones, but they're based on fasting 8 weeks. You can just eat bigger portion if you've already lost the weight you want. It's not completely LCHF but Mediterranean diet, less meat, more fish, olive oil and vegies. Also they have bread recipes with spelt flour. I thought I would try that and see how my BG will react. Would be great if I could eat bread not completely made of seeds :) Let me know what you think?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I lost almost 40% of my body weight and I am definitely not reversed, cured etc. I am however so so much healthier, happier, smaller, fitter.
So while aiming for reversal as a prediabetic is to be encouraged and commendable- please don't be disheartened if as a T2 you don't quite make it - you haven't failed just celebrate how everything is so much better. Wanted to say this as general statement for everyone trying as it's not a black and white scenario and feeling like a failure is the road backward to ruin

Reactions: Goonergal

amalia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I lowered my HbA1c from 43 to 40 with lower carb diet and lost 10 % of weight. However when on a seven week stay in Asia, ate far too much fruit, mainly mangos and papaya! Large quantities of it as I absolutely love this fruit which is cheap and delicious over there. When I came back to UK, HbA1c was up to 44! Now, back not eating much fruit, so hope it will be back to so called normal. I think once diagnosed pre diabetic, you will always have to watch the carbs ....

Reactions: callyandy

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I lost almost 40% of my body weight and I am definitely not reversed, cured etc. I am however so so much healthier, happier, smaller, fitter.
So while aiming for reversal as a prediabetic is to be encouraged and commendable- please don't be disheartened if as a T2 you don't quite make it - you haven't failed just celebrate how everything is so much better. Wanted to say this as general statement for everyone trying as it's not a black and white scenario and feeling like a failure is the road backward to ruin

What sort of diet, and what period did you lose it over?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I totally agree. I've had diabetic symptoms for 40+yrs so even bariatric surgery won't put me in remission but less insulin and a lighter life would suit my bad back.