Will 20% weightloss reverse my prediabetes?

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Fasting is really efficient, but can be hard if you have to cook for others. Low carb, not too much fat is also really good for weightloss. Don't give up :)
Thank you - decided to try a 24 hour fast - first one this Sunday - fasting from late night Saturday night until evening Sunday night - 24 hours hasn't bothered me in the past - so I shall see how I go.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of diet, and what period did you lose it over?
Low carb at 80g - moderate fat i.e. Not extra but no low fat stuff mainly from fish avocado olive oilnuts not much dairy as I don't like it, not much animal fats - loads of veg.
First year lost 6st no calorie counting - the rest over 5 years but have to calorie count now as too much fat causes a stall or weight gain - between 1200 - 1400 cals - still losing now but very very slowly - but I'm happy with that.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you reckon you have actually reversed your diabetes, ie, you can eat a normal amount of carbs regularly, or are you diet controlled?
To be honest, I've not been brave enough to try yet, I've got a big birthday coming up in July and I'm gonna have a week of "normal" though I'll never go back to the carbs the NHS healthy plate suggests. That many carbs makes me shudder at the thought..... On that note, I think any "normal" person is surely susceptible to diabetes if they eat 260gms of carbs a day. I'm hoping longevity of good readings along with a balanced diet will prove reversal, but I guess the jury is still out scientifically. I'm not much help here am I:rolleyes:, not a lot new there... I consider myself a work in progress, a watch this space.:happy:

Reactions: kumera

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back at ya honey, your weight loss is amazing, and your HbA1c change stunning. I know you've worked really hard at this. Well done you!!:joyful:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, You've done really well :) I didn't move very much either, the dog was getting older and couldn't walk far, my excuse!! Now I have a new puppy and I walk 30 min, 5 days a week. I'm really too skinny now, but just wanted to see if those beta cells actually can regenerate if you lose all bellyfat. I miss my dessert of berries and cream :( Saturday I'm going to go all out on LCHF has to gain some weight again, trying for muscle instead of fat, but it's pretty hard as I'm not really a gym person ;)
I've not got belly fat anymore, just skin :yuck: sorry for the image folks..o_O. The puppy sound fun!! Roll on Saturday:joyful: Tomorrow!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I've not been brave enough to try yet, I've got a big birthday coming up in July and I'm gonna have a week of "normal" though I'll never go back to the carbs the NHS healthy plate suggests. That many carbs makes me shudder at the thought..... On that note, I think any "normal" person is surely susceptible to diabetes if they eat 260gms of carbs a day. I'm hoping longevity of good readings along with a balanced diet will prove reversal, but I guess the jury is still out scientifically. I'm not much help here am I:rolleyes:, not a lot new there... I consider myself a work in progress, a watch this space.:happy:

I never shudder at food, if I have a choice, I'll eat what I consider healthy, if I don't 'll eat to live.
I can survive quite happily on the NHS eatwell plate. I ate a low GI version of it for a year while losing weight initially.
There is a lot of hype about what is 'compulsory' on it, however compared to a diet of donuts and pies from Greggs it's definitely a sweeping change.

As to 260g a day of carbs leading to diabetes, HCLF appears to work for some, particuarly third world countries.

Kenners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well, I didn't get the first book, but the follow up with recipes. I think there's some good ones, but they're based on fasting 8 weeks. You can just eat bigger portion if you've already lost the weight you want. It's not completely LCHF but Mediterranean diet, less meat, more fish, olive oil and vegies. Also they have bread recipes with spelt flour. I thought I would try that and see how my BG will react. Would be great if I could eat bread not completely made of seeds :) Let me know what you think?

Sounds good. Love the med style food...probably end up living on feta salad (don't do seafood)! Bread wise, it will likely just be very occasional flatbreads...baking is hard work!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, my evening meal was sheeps heart, stuffed with a homemade sage, red onion, and garlic stuffing, slow cooked on a bed of spring greens and mushrooms, served with a bulgur wheat and quinoa.
Very yummy.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never shudder at food, if I have a choice, I'll eat what I consider healthy, if I don't 'll eat to live.
I can survive quite happily on the NHS eatwell plate. I ate a low GI version of it for a year while losing weight initially.
There is a lot of hype about what is 'compulsory' on it, however compared to a diet of donuts and pies from Greggs it's definitely a sweeping change.

As to 260g a day of carbs leading to diabetes, HCLF appears to work for some, particuarly third world countries.
Not sure that the situation in 3rd world countries substantiates your point, given that obesity is far less prevalent than 1st world countries.

Interesting to note the huge increase in T2 in the middle East over the last 20 years. I currently work in the ME and the love of junk food, extremely high sugar consumption and little or no exercise are clearly the main culprits.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, last day of my fast and quest to lose 20% of my pre-diagnosis weight :) Last night was a disaster! Just having acquired the 8 week bloodsugar diet recipe book, I thought, why not try one of the recipes instead of my homemade, low carb low cal fasting diet. Big mistake. I tried something fairly easy with few ingredients "Spicy spinach and lentils", which basically consists of lentils, coconut cream, spinach and flavorings. 1 portion, main dish is quoted as having 320 calories and 14g carbs. I did swap green lentils for yellow split lentils, which might count for the high BG after. It tasted good, was very filling and I didn't even eat the full portion. 1 hr pp my BG was 8.3!!! 2 hrs after that 8.3 again and one hour after that 7.8. This morning it was still high @ 6.3. I googled carb count for lentils and its pretty high, and as I've almost cut out most carbs this week, that might have been a factor as well. I've learned my lesson. Being on LCHF is the ultimate low bloodsugar diet. When you get used to being able to control your bloodsugar this well, you don't want to go backwards to the 8 week bloodsugar diet, which I'm sure is much better than eating fish and chips, crisps and chocolate, but not nearly as good as LCHF. After this rant I actually did lose weight and are now on 52.1kg :) but I'm pretty sure I'm not cured yet ;)

Reactions: Brunneria

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not sure that the situation in 3rd world countries substantiates your point, given that obesity is far less prevalent than 1st world countries.

Interesting to note the huge increase in T2 in the middle East over the last 20 years. I currently work in the ME and the love of junk food, extremely high sugar consumption and little or no exercise are clearly the main culprits.

Ah, so all carbs aren't the same?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, last day of my fast and quest to lose 20% of my pre-diagnosis weight :) Last night was a disaster! Just having acquired the 8 week bloodsugar diet recipe book, I thought, why not try one of the recipes instead of my homemade, low carb low cal fasting diet. Big mistake. I tried something fairly easy with few ingredients "Spicy spinach and lentils", which basically consists of lentils, coconut cream, spinach and flavorings. 1 portion, main dish is quoted as having 320 calories and 14g carbs. I did swap green lentils for yellow split lentils, which might count for the high BG after. It tasted good, was very filling and I didn't even eat the full portion. 1 hr pp my BG was 8.3!!! 2 hrs after that 8.3 again and one hour after that 7.8. This morning it was still high @ 6.3. I googled carb count for lentils and its pretty high, and as I've almost cut out most carbs this week, that might have been a factor as well. I've learned my lesson. Being on LCHF is the ultimate low bloodsugar diet. When you get used to being able to control your bloodsugar this well, you don't want to go backwards to the 8 week bloodsugar diet, which I'm sure is much better than eating fish and chips, crisps and chocolate, but not nearly as good as LCHF. After this rant I actually did lose weight and are now on 52.1kg :) but I'm pretty sure I'm not cured yet ;)

Oddly enough, when I did my low fat, low GI diet, there was a massive difference between green and yellow lentils.
(I couldn't remember which, so I ate neither. I'm programmed now, I still don't like them anymore!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just having acquired the 8 week bloodsugar diet recipe book, I thought, why not try one of the recipes instead of my homemade, low carb low cal fasting die
I didn't think that the 8 week blood sugar diet was very low carb when I looked at the recipes... stick to what you know works for you...

Reactions: kumera

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didn't think that the 8 week blood sugar diet was very low carb when I looked at the recipes... stick to what you know works for you...

It doesn't claim to be.
Low carb for life, or blood sugar for eight weeks maybe?
As you say, it's a choice to make.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't claim to be.
Low carb for life, or blood sugar for eight weeks maybe?
As you say, it's a choice to make.

Lots of people seem to think the ND and 8 Week BS diet are low carb .... though we both know they aren't.
Low carb for life for me but you know that anyway...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lots of people seem to think the ND and 8 Week BS diet are low carb .... though we both know they aren't.
Low carb for life for me but you know that anyway...

I don't know.
When I did the Newcastle diet, many low carb zealots jumped all over me, pointing out because it was such a low amount of food, it must have been carb, because it was low everything.
I don't really care how some need to label a diet, all I care was it worked.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my evening meal was sheeps heart, stuffed with a homemade sage, red onion, and garlic stuffing, slow cooked on a bed of spring greens and mushrooms, served with a bulgur wheat and quinoa.
Very yummy.
Sounds yummy, except for the sheeps heart :) I think you have to grow up on that to eat it..

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly enough, when I did my low fat, low GI diet, there was a massive difference between green and yellow lentils.
(I couldn't remember which, so I ate neither. I'm programmed now, I still don't like them anymore!)
I'm off lentils as well, any colour, unless it's in very small amounts. Still learning...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds yummy, except for the sheeps heart :) I think you have to grow up on that to eat it..

I wouldn't have touched it previously. All part of the post diabetes diet.