Will 20% weightloss reverse my prediabetes?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I've seen more posts from men doing weightlifting, HIIT and such and being very successful. Might be a mix of weight loss, extreme low carb diet/IF and gaining some muscle?? Makes sense that it's not just one miraculous thing that will reverse diabetes, but a combination of things..

It all helped me, both from a purely BG side, but also from a personal aspect.
But it really was the final step with the Newcastle diet that did the step change.
Although I do exercise, I've never low carbed apart from an experiment, (after reversal), never fasted apart from a hospital appointment with a camera, so I can't comment on that.
Still good bg and still not LC though.

Reactions: callyandy

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes, I've seen more posts from men doing weightlifting, HIIT and such and being very successful. Might be a mix of weight loss, extreme low carb diet/IF and gaining some muscle?? Makes sense that it's not just one miraculous thing that will reverse diabetes, but a combination of things..
I might have been one of the posters you are referring to. I wish I had fully documented my protocols, as I threw the kitchen sink at diabetes. What I did to start with was eat lower glycemic index carbs (home made soda bread, sweet potato), vegetables, lots of nuts and built up to extreme exercise - this was exhausting and after say a 3 mile walk, I would need something to eat. I would say my exercise was circa 750 to 900 calories a day 6 days a week; I was encouraged due to the massive swings from around 8 mmol to late 4's (mainly static cycle (2 x 30 mins a day at 90 revs per minute), this is still the exercise that makes me sweat the most, and I associated sweat with progress). This regime got me 10 kg weight loss, as I was thin-ish on the outside, fat on the in, and resulted in 41 / 42 HbA1c's - just in the normal range (on Metformin also).

The "cream" on top for me was to move to LCHF, which has yielded a more comfortable for me 35 / 36 HbA1c and a further 2 kg weight loss (now added a kilo due to additional weight training). I do not subscribe to extreme high fat of slavering my food in good fats, it is just the fact that "we" cook with either olive oil, butter or coconut oil, and eat avocados and nuts whilst reducing the usual higher carb foods. I think it is a shame that LCHF is associated with high protein Atkins 1.

Many get great results with just diet, it is said that potential reversal is 80% diet (I agree with this), I think the after-burn of exercising is a free hit on diabetes and assists with well being. Fasting is great, today I only had one meal by accident due to being at a client site for longer than I envisaged and I was not hungry.

Reactions: pcs63

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I might have been one of the posters you are referring to. I wish I had fully documented my protocols, as I threw the kitchen sink at diabetes. What I did to start with was eat lower glycemic index carbs (home made soda bread, sweet potato), vegetables, lots of nuts and built up to extreme exercise - this was exhausting and after say a 3 mile walk, I would need something to eat. I would say my exercise was circa 750 to 900 calories a day 6 days a week; I was encouraged due to the massive swings from around 8 mmol to late 4's (mainly static cycle (2 x 30 mins a day at 90 revs per minute), this is still the exercise that makes me sweat the most, and I associated sweat with progress). This regime got me 10 kg weight loss, as I was thin-ish on the outside, fat on the in, and resulted in 41 / 42 HbA1c's - just in the normal range (on Metformin also).

The "cream" on top for me was to move to LCHF, which has yielded a more comfortable for me 35 / 36 HbA1c and a further 2 kg weight loss (now added a kilo due to additional weight training). I do not subscribe to extreme high fat of slavering my food in good fats, it is just the fact that "we" cook with either olive oil, butter or coconut oil, and eat avocados and nuts whilst reducing the usual higher carb foods. I think it is a shame that LCHF is associated with high protein Atkins 1.

Many get great results with just diet, it is said that potential reversal is 80% diet (I agree with this), I think the after-burn of exercising is a free hit on diabetes and assists with well being. Fasting is great, today I only had one meal by accident due to being at a client site for longer than I envisaged and I was not hungry.

Fully reversed?
Have you measured after a carb heavy meal?
I agree on the exercise though, I always aim to exercise to get my heartrate past 150 now in a session.
(steady 60 normally)

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Even though I do eat all the fat that I want, I must agree with you that an Atkins style diet is not for me either. I like my vegies too much and really don't eat much fat, just more than I used to and without guilt. I suppose it makes sense as you get fitter and more healthy everything works better on the inside as well. I wonder if you can tell a reversed diabetes by the average FBG?? Can I ask what your average FBG is now? And if you remember, before, please! My HbA1c is 35 as well now, but my FBG is never lower than 5.6 and I'm definitely not cured yet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Even though I do eat all the fat that I want, I must agree with you that an Atkins style diet is not for me either. I like my vegies too much and really don't eat much fat, just more than I used to and without guilt. I suppose it makes sense as you get fitter and more healthy everything works better on the inside as well. I wonder if you can tell a reversed diabetes by the average FBG?? Can I ask what your average FBG is now? And if you remember, before, please! My HbA1c is 35 as well now, but my FBG is never lower than 5.6 and I'm definitely not cured yet.

It's one of the things, what do you believe you fasting BG should be to be normal?
Although the real test, is do you have a normal response to a high carb meal?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fully reversed?
Have you measured after a carb heavy meal?
I agree on the exercise though, I always aim to exercise to get my heartrate past 150 now in a session.
(steady 60 normally)
The closest I got to testing a carb heavy meal was on Sunday. I had breakfast usual nuts, berries and full fat yogurt. A low carb fish dinner, followed by a third of a Waitrose apple pie (around 90 grams of carbs):
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=287962.

I estimate around 150 grams of carbs consumed on Sunday.
This was my laziest day in over 2 years with no exercise, due to daughter football taxing duties and visiting family

upload_2017-5-9_1-24-39.png

My fbg the next morning was 5.1, which is around 0.5 to 0.8 mmol away from my usual. I was quite happy with this, but do not intend to repeat often (more than twice a year). I would not normally have such a treat and not have done any exercise, and would usuallynot have anywhere near this much shop bought carb anything. The only thing I want to work on now is low carb sauces and reducing my berries and nuts intake, I am over indulging.

Reactions: pcs63 and kumera

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's one of the things, what do you believe you fasting BG should be to be normal?
Well, I'm just trying to figure out if there's any correlation between normal response to high carb and low FBG. I've noticed other posts, more men, quoting FBG in the 4's and claiming reversal. Makes sense your FBG is lower if your response to a high carb meal is normal ?? And isn't it very late in the UK now ??

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

On my meter my 90 day average is 4.7, but this is just fasting average. I interpret this that the excessive nuts and berries I consume (twice a day usually) are holding my blood glucose at circa 5.5 for long periods during the day (I know if I am on one meal day, like I did by accident yesterday my meter reads 4.4. I did not used to look at the meter averages before. Looks like you are doing quite low carb, or your insulin response is awesome, you are doing well. I agree the fitter you get it stands to reason that efficiencies within the bodies systems benefit. A technical cure is currently up for debate, however great control usually wards off nasty complications or relives existing symptoms.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, I'm just trying to figure out if there's any correlation between normal response to high carb and low FBG. I've noticed other posts, more men, quoting FBG in the 4's and claiming reversal. Makes sense your FBG is lower if your response to a high carb meal is normal ?? And isn't it very late in the UK now ??

It was very late, yes.

As to normal, mine is usually low fives.
I feel rough when I'm in the 4's, (sometimes), as it usually means I haven't eaten, and been overworking for too long. But, I can either eat, or it passes, so just my bodies way of telling me I guess.

So I like my liver dump to get me out of bed in the morning.
And it varies on when I initially wake up, if I'm disturbed, if I go back to sleep or not.

But I don't chase the 4's, in fact I definitely prefer being in the 5's normally.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I may have to try this - my weight loss seems to have stopped - BMI at 26.5 now but HBAC1 is still 50-52. Bah humbug!

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 of 6-800 cal fast. 5.0 FBG Weight 52.9 Much easier than last I tried fasting. I go with easy, no breakfast, salad with chicken and feta for lunch, small vegie stirfry for dinner at 7pm. Not really counting calories or following recipes, too much like hard work for me. No major exercise yet. 30 min morning walk with the dogs, uphill ;) Renovating chores after work 4pm-6pm, (painting). Husband is gone for the week which makes fasting a lot easier as well. Not feeling too hungry this morning :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jonbvn

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have to try this - my weight loss seems to have stopped - BMI at 26.5 now but HBAC1 is still 50-52. Bah humbug!
Fasting is really efficient, but can be hard if you have to cook for others. Low carb, not too much fat is also really good for weightloss. Don't give up :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

what is a normal repsonse to a high carb meal ????

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Speedbird

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Third day of fast: 4.5 this am Weight 52.7kg. Never really been in my 4's before, strange!! BG before lunch yesterday, 18 hrs fast, 3.8!!!! If my body is a sugar bowl it must be almost empty now ;)

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to Newcastle extended low calorie approach, you can also consider Dr Valter Longo's research on FMD cycles.

If his hypothesis of cells regeneration is workable, then it would most likely have observable/measurable results for those who are in the prediabetic stage...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fasting-mimicking-diet-promotes-ngn3-driven-β-cell-regeneration-to-reverse-diabetes.116847/
In addition to Newcastle extended low calorie approach, you can also consider Dr Valter Longo's research on FMD cycles.

If his hypothesis of cells regeneration is workable, then it would most likely have observable/measurable results for those who are in the prediabetic stage...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fasting-mimicking-diet-promotes-ngn3-driven-β-cell-regeneration-to-reverse-diabetes.116847/
This is very interesting, couldn't actually connect to the site, might be the bad internet connection here, but I'm currently eating a low protein, low sugar (carbs) diet in my fast. I suppose I can repeat this 5-6 times over the next 6 months. Does it say how long the FMD cycles are? Thanks for the info, very much appreciated :D

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The standard Prolon FMD are equivalent to 5 days
Does it say how long the FMD cycles are?

of fasting...
https://prolonfmd.com/fasting-mimicking-diet/
A third study was done using people. There were nineteen FMD participants and nineteen control participants with a broad range of ages represented (19-75). There were members of both sexes and most races, so that the study represented a general cross section of adult population. The individuals in the Fasting Mimicking Diet group were provided with the food they were required to eat during five FMD days for each of three months. Scientists were pleased with the level of compliance with the diet, and most reported only mild or no negative effects on the fasting days. Results showed that the FMD participants experienced an average 3% reduction in weight, a reduction in visceral fat, a reduction in C-reactive protein, and rejuvenation for the immune system.