Will Cauli-rice freeze ??

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Everyone, as the question indicates will cauli-rice freeze and reheat okay as I am wanting to make a large batch, thanks to all who reply, Debra x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it will. The cauliflower would need to be washed then blanched in boiling water for a few minutes, remove from pan then rinse under a cold tap then drained and pat dry, after this place in freezer bags and freeze away! :)

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried making cauli rice from fresh cauli. It pretty much turned to dust! :lol: Does blanching it stop it from disintegrating once it hits the blender? (Tried with a hand grater too - still dust!)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not freeze a few spoonfuls and find out?
Patch, I whizz mine up in a food processor. More control that way. I keep it in a plastic box in the fridge so I can use as much or as little as I like.

wiflib

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I just eat small amounts of Basmati rice which actually tastes like rice and doesn't move my meter hardly at all.

Basmati rice so I was told by my dietician has such a complex molecular structure that the human body can not brake it down properly as it does with other carbs so very little of it hits your blood stream. A tablespoonful of Basmati rice doesn't give me any problems at all. And I leave cauliflower for use as a vegetable which I eat with broccoli and carrots.

Without starting a war, have any of you very low carbers actually tried Basmati rice, as opposed to long grain rice or other varieties? You may be pleasantly surprised.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found I can tolerate small amounts of rat poison... :twisted:

(But - it's so **** moorish...)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid, the question is about cauli 'rice' not another opportunity for you to make a comment about the choices of those who choose not to eat rice (or any other carb) for whatever reason.

wiflib

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I tried making cauli rice from fresh cauli. It pretty much turned to dust! :lol: Does blanching it stop it from disintegrating once it hits the blender? (Tried with a hand grater too - still dust!)

Only one way to find out Patch! :wink:

Sid Bonkers said:
Basmati rice so I was told by my dietician has such a complex molecular structure that the human body can not brake it down properly as it does with other carbs so very little of it hits your blood stream. A tablespoonful of Basmati rice doesn't give me any problems at all. And I leave cauliflower for use as a vegetable which I eat with broccoli and carrots.

Guess what Nigel has just had for lunch! :D

Nigel

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi and many thanks to everyone who replied. Sid I love basmati rice but my B/G levels after eating it tell me I cannot eat it anymore that's why I eat cauli-rice. I just wondered if I make loads would it freeze well just like normal rice, Debra x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
diadeb said:
I just wondered if I make loads would it freeze well just like normal rice, Debra x

Only one way to find out Debs! :)

Nigel

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep Noblehead I will have to and let you know, it's just that if I buy a cauliflower it's too much for me on my own and I hate wastage and hubby eats chips, Deb

ClaireG 06

How are you planning to cook/reheat it? Only thing i would say is it might be a bit soggy as cauli does tend to hold water i've found. Maybe microwaving it would be best with no added water and then draining well.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks ClaireG 06, I was going to fry it with spices as I usually do then put the remainder in a bag in freezer and then probably dry fry it once it has thawed, Deb

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
diadeb said:
Yep Noblehead I will have to and let you know, it's just that if I buy a cauliflower it's too much for me on my own and I hate wastage and hubby eats chips, Deb

The size of the cauliflowers this year are minute, I've never seem them this small and they are still charging £1+ in some stores, I got 2 in Lldl the other day for 50p each.

Nigel

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Noblehead for the reply and yes I get mine from Lidl (thank God fro Lidl and Aldi), Deb

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
diadeb said:
Thanks Noblehead for the reply and yes I get mine from Lidl (thank God fro Lidl and Aldi), Deb

Couldn't agree more, the fruit and veg is half the price and just as fresh! :)

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got mine from lidl made cauliflower cheese and onion no rice :lol:
CAROL

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I rice a whole cauli in the food processor and store the raw stuff in the freezer in portion sized boxes.

Has anyone tried the cooked cauli rice with cream cheese stirred into while warm then spread on nori wrappers with sushi additons -- avocado, pickled ginger, mung sprouts, prawns? Roll up and slice and serve with soy and wasabi.

Tastier than any sushi I have ever tasted!!!!!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
clearviews said:
Has anyone tried the cooked cauli rice with cream cheese stirred into while warm then spread on nori wrappers with sushi additons -- avocado, pickled ginger, mung sprouts, prawns? Roll up and slice and serve with soy and wasabi.

Not until now.

But I can't wait to try it!!!