Will changing basal settings on the medtronic punp have an effect on my sugar?

dian2007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm using the medtronic insulin pump (MiniMed 780G) and SmartGuard is active, but I still continue to climb between 10:00 and 12:00 everyday.
I was wondering if I can change some setting in my "Basal" category, but I dont know if it whould have a effect if smartguard is running

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm using the medtronic insulin pump (MiniMed 780G) and SmartGuard is active, but I still continue to climb between 10:00 and 12:00 everyday.
I was wondering if I can change some setting in my "Basal" category, but I dont know if it whould have a effect if smartguard is running
Hi dian2007, welcome to the forum.
I think we have very few members using the 780G with Smartguard, I hope someone will be able to answer your question.

I don't know if you use Facebook, but if you do, there is a very active group on this subject, they may be better suited to help you out. :)

Reactions: dian2007

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Changing your Active Insulin time may well help with that. I’ve always been told to change it in intervals of 15 minutes then leave it for a few days to see if it makes a difference. Before the 780g I was on 3h 30 but on 780g I’m now on 2h 30.

faustus67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi dian2007,

not sure I'm the best person to try to help with this. I've been using the 780g with SmartGuard for a bit over a month now. When I first started using it, it was good but my BS would stay between 8 and 10 a lot of the time, which is a bit higher than I like. I would also occasionally go up to 11 or 12 and stay there for a few hours. There are two settings that helped me with this - the first is setting the target. Mine was originally set for 6.1. I changed it to 5.5. That helped a bit. I also changed the Active Insulin Time from 3 hours to 2.5 hours. That helped a lot. I've since lowered that further to 2 hours. That seems to work best for me.

Please let us know how you get on! It's good to hear other people's experience.