Will I Ever Like Salad?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
????? That may be good for your sugar levels but in my opinion not much else. Bowel cancer is the first to come to mind.

Except of course that the studies that showed an "association" with bowel cancer did not look at people eating a carnivore diet but one where they ate carbs and fat and protein and smoked and drank and had on the whole pretty unhealthy lifestyles and then blamed red meat! A heap of c**p to put it quite bluntly.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@nessie216 well you've got a good start with peppers, onion and celery. How about adding olives, sliced raw mushrooms, feta cheese and/or walnuts. I used to avoid salad whenever possible but when we eat out we always ask if chips can be replaced by salad and I’ve gradually come to enjoy it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plodding along slowly here . . .

I am still battling with food (living in a caravan for another month) and whenever I look at what others are eating or recipes etc there is always salad

Problem is I have never liked salad

I think lettuce/green leaves taste like grass, I dislike raw tomatoes (remind me of licking stamps) and I don’t like cucumber - I can just about eat a tuna and cucumber sandwich (not that I’m eating them anymore!)

I will eat raw pepper, raw onion and celery

I am happy with cooked veg

Will I ever like salad? Any tips to try and get me to like them? Anyone following a low carb diet without salad?
There's no law that I know of that T2s have to eat salad. I don't know how low carb you are eating, but tomatoes, carrots and onions are on Dr Bernstein's NO list for those of us wanting to keep to his suggested 30g carbs daily. What's wrong with cooked vegetables? (Apart of course from the sad fact that they do have to be cooked, hard work especially in a caravan. I do sometimes find myself eating raw sauerkraut or celery with cold chicken for breakfast just because I don't have to cook them.)

If you really want to disguise your salad as something you might enjoy eating, balsamic vinegar will set you back 2.7g carb per Tbsp whereas Hellman's Real Mayonnaise has only 1.3g carbs per 100g and Maille mayonnaise has only 1.1 (but IMO is also less tasty than the delicious Hellman's).

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I will have Romain Lettuce chopped up small, with some tomatoes warm broccoli, green beans, walnuts chicken. If I do not fancy dressing I will just have some grated cheese over the salad,oh and a small portion of roasted peppers mixed in.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like balsamic, make sure you use the vinegar rather than the dressing, which is often full of sugar :)
Never thought to look at the sugar content of Balsamic, it is vinegar after all. Just looked at the bottle I have and it is 18% sugar! That is just vinegar not a dressing. The only ingredients are wine vinegar and grape must, so the sugar is not added as such. I wonder if other brands are the same.

nessie216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you everyone - food for thought!
I will have a go at some suggestions
I like the idea of a warm salad :)
We currently have tomatoes growing at the caravan so will try some of those to see if my tastebuds have changed!

I think I need to get a bit more organised!

Thanks again :)

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
White/Red Cabbage (raw)
Cauliflower florets
Rocket
Carrots ( Julienne / grated / chopped )
Radishes.
Red Rnion

All above crunchy and zesty

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband is not a salad lover, but will enjoy a slaw made with chopped red and white cabbage, celery, spring onions and some grated carrot. Toss in some feta cheese sometimes, or grilled halloumi, olives,red pepper etc. Good quality sundried tomatoes just a few chopped strips add a piquant taste. Sprinkle on a few nuts or seeds. Quite tasty. I enjoy salad in any form..especially with mayo. It certainly looks better if you use coloured baby leaves as well.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have grown to detest salad. My hubby and I got into doing the diet doctor Keto diet but today we have decided to stop it. The amount of salad and veg is totally boring. Can’t stand the sight of either at the moment. There is only so much meat one can eat too. This with salad or veg all day every day just leaves us cold. I have actually stopped eating altogether a lot of the time. Just living on water and nibbles of things. No carbs eaten yet for weeks but am drooling at the thought of a slice of whole meal toast and marmite......

Feeling a bit lost as I thought we had chosen a good path but Keto or this extreme low carb just makes us depressed so am looking for more ways to help ourselves lose weight and control Hubbys T2.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have grown to detest salad. My hubby and I got into doing the diet doctor Keto diet but today we have decided to stop it. The amount of salad and veg is totally boring. Can’t stand the sight of either at the moment. There is only so much meat one can eat too. This with salad or veg all day every day just leaves us cold. I have actually stopped eating altogether a lot of the time. Just living on water and nibbles of things. No carbs eaten yet for weeks but am drooling at the thought of a slice of whole meal toast and marmite......

Feeling a bit lost as I thought we had chosen a good path but Keto or this extreme low carb just makes us depressed so am looking for more ways to help ourselves lose weight and control Hubbys T2.
emoji15.png
Low carb is not an all or nothing thing, better to have a level of carbs you can stick to, rather trying to go too low and giving up. I have a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread with my egg and bacon breakfast, I have a homemade low carb roll with my lunch, which is admittedly usually salad with cheese, ham, tinned fish etc. For dinner apart from the protein and low carb veg I also have something like butternut squash, swede, lentils, peas, beans, carrots, pasta made from lentils etc.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well for those keto/very low carbers, this will sound positively outrageous but why don't you try having half a slice of lovely rye bread or sourdough which amounts to around 10 carbs? It is not much to look at but I find both types very satisfying and 'solid'. Add a piece of lovely cheese or even a scraping of your marmite. I really do find a little bit of what you crave really helps your resolve. I know that you would have to be a person who can stop at half a slice or a tablespoon of wholemeal pasta etc, but in my opinion it trains the brain into thinking you are being decadent. Instead of keto could you just go very low carb? I am low carb (around 50 carbs a day) but I always set aside 20 for a bit of bread!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well for those keto/very low carbers, this will sound positively outrageous but why don't you try having half a slice of lovely rye bread or sourdough which amounts to around 10 carbs? It is not much to look at but I find both types very satisfying and 'solid'. Add a piece of lovely cheese or even a scraping of your marmite. I really do find a little bit of what you crave really helps your resolve. I know that you would have to be a person who can stop at half a slice or a tablespoon of wholemeal pasta etc, but in my opinion it trains the brain into thinking you are being decadent. Instead of keto could you just go very low carb? I am low carb (around 50 carbs a day) but I always set aside 20 for a bit of bread!
I keep a loaf of LivLife bread in the freezer and rich out a couple of slices if I need bread and marmite. It’s the safest place to keep it, it’s only 3.6g carbs a slice, and only takes 5-10 minutes for a slice to defrost at room temp.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you would have to be a person who can stop at half a slice or a tablespoon of wholemeal pasta etc
I agree with the principle of this. There are lots of strategies that can make a little seem a lot. I always eat my 10cal jelly & cream with a teaspoon, and I count out 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa drops and really enjoy each one, eked out over the day. There must be other ideas people could share. Perhaps someone should start a thread. On a different topic, my daughter gets through tiresome tasks by allowing herself 10 minutes per hour with her library book. It's the same technique.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep a loaf of LivLife bread in the freezer and rich out a couple of slices if I need bread and marmite. It’s the safest place to keep it, it’s only 3.6g carbs a slice, and only takes 5-10 minutes for a slice to defrost at room temp.

Hi Mel, I have tried the livlife bread but I find it too flimsy for my tastes as I do with just about every other low carb bread (apart from those no longer to be found Lidl rolls, grrrrrr). I like a strong crunchy slice of toast that nearly breaks my teeth!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never thought to look at the sugar content of Balsamic, it is vinegar after all. Just looked at the bottle I have and it is 18% sugar! That is just vinegar not a dressing. The only ingredients are wine vinegar and grape must, so the sugar is not added as such. I wonder if other brands are the same.
I fear they are, or worse. I came across a warning on a diabetes website somewhere. I just checked one of Tesco's balsamic vinegars and it contains 24g carbs per 100g, with 3.6g carbs in each tablespoon!!! Luckily it is currently out of stock!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Mel, I have tried the livlife bread but I find it too flimsy for my tastes as I do with just about every other low carb bread (apart from those no longer to be found Lidl rolls, grrrrrr). I like a strong crunchy slice of toast that nearly breaks my teeth!
Have you considered toasting MDF? ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Burgen Soya and Linseed bread? It toasts nicely straight from the freezer and certainly has a crunchy texture.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no need to eat salad if you don't want to. I wish I liked eggs but I just don't :(

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After the last few weeks I have grown to hate veg, salad and eggs! . Am having a major rethink after reading Dr Cavans Book today. He advises to avoid all low carb diets! Am reading on.....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After the last few weeks I have grown to hate veg, salad and eggs! . Am having a major rethink after reading Dr Cavans Book today. He advises to avoid all low carb diets! Am reading on.....
Does he really? he is very close to this site so I find that quite surprising.. although he did spend a bit too much time talking about exercise at the PHC conference.