Will I Ever Like Salad?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds idyllic, but I'm wondering if you can keep your bg down while eating tomatoes?
I also grow Sungold tomatoes and eat them almost every day. I haven't noticed any affect on my bg. 10 Sungold tomatoes weigh about 100g and that is about 3g carbs.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HCLF should be doable. I'm already on insulin (too much for my peace of mind) and Metformin. Metformin has caused problems for my stomach and bowel for years now, but I had to make a choice (ie no metform, high bg v 3 metformin daily and stomach/bowel problems) and opted for what I thought was a safer route of keeping slightly better control over my bg. I don't think the Metformin has caused my gastritis, but possibly Esomeprazole, which I was put on many years ago and which has never been reviewed, might be the cause.
Iron supplements also cause severe stomach problems and last time I was diagnosed with anaemia I had to have iron infused. I'll be asking the Dr about that next week, when I finally get to see her.
Any ideas for a HCLF diet?
I totally agree, better Metformin than higher bgs. This probably won't help you, but in my case I had terrible digestive / reflux problems for years, which were helped enormously when I began eating low carb. Previously I had had two endoscopies, which showed nothing except that I was developing a small ulcer. My GPs wanted me to take a med in the Esomeprazole family, but I refused. Instead I researched for the least risky med that might help and found Peptac. https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/digestion/a7328/peptac/
This helped a lot at the time, but since I started low carb I have not needed it once, and I asked my GP to take it off my repeat prescription list. I do still have some problems with bloating, but given that I am taking Metformin AND Dabigatran, both notorious for causing this sort of effect, I think I just have to make the best of it.

Good luck with the HCLF diet. I don't have any ideas to offer, and anyway I fear it would be too painful for me to dwell on asll those lovely carb-filled foods I no longer eat! But do let us know how you get on.