Win some lose some...home made chocolates

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Every now and then I make a batch of chocolate truffle mix. Simple as (or should that now be super simple?).

300 ml double cream
50 gms butter
300 gms chocolate (70% or higher)

Put the butter and cream in a pan, heat gently until about simmering, remove from the light then mix with the chocolate. Seriously high fat and pretty low carb.

Until now I followed the instructions about rolling the mix into balls and putting into little paper cases. OK (ish) but a lot of faff.

I found some silicone ice cube trays in Lakeland and thought that they were just the right size to produce chocolates.

In fact https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71499/Lakeland-Silicone-Ice-Cube-Tray.

First attempt worked like a dream. I filled the trays (only a tiny bit left over), popped them in the freezer for half an hour, then popped the chocolates (with "ice" embossed on the top) out of the tray and into a plastic storage box.

So the good news is the plan worked and saved me loads of time.

The bad news is they are very....{mumble}...moreish and I can't....{mumble}.....stop eating them.....{mumble}...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every now and then I make a batch of chocolate truffle mix. Simple as (or should that now be super simple?).

300 ml double cream
50 gms butter

Put the butter and cream in a pan, heat gently until about simmering, remove from the light then mix with the chocolate. Seriously high fat and pretty low carb.

Until now I followed the instructions about rolling the mix into balls and putting into little paper cases. OK (ish) but a lot of faff.

I found some silicone ice cube trays in Lakeland and thought that they were just the right size to produce chocolates.

First attempt worked like a dream. I filled the trays (only a tiny bit left over), popped them in the freezer for half an hour, then popped the chocolates (with "ice" embossed on the top) out of the tray and into a plastic storage box.

The bad news is they are very....{mumble}...moreish and I can't....{mumble}.....stop eating them.....{mumble}...
Sounds wonderful but can see how it would be seriously tempting!

Reactions: zauberflote

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why did I read this before bed? Now I'm drooling over my keyboard. How many carbs if I eat like 8 of those?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the idea @LittleGreyCat!

One of the reasons I don’t make truffles is the rolling faff as it’s so messy. I will get myself some silicone ice cube trays or chocolate moulds.

I’ve got some 100% dark chocolate I was bought for Christmas but I find it too strong/bitter. I’m more of an 85% kind of gal.
I don’t want to waste it so wonder if it would be good in truffles? Hoping the cream and maybe a drop or two of liquid sweetener would make it more palitable for me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

One of the reasons I don’t make truffles is the rolling faff as it’s so messy. I will get myself some silicone ice cube trays or chocolate moulds.

I’ve got some 100% dark chocolate I was bought for Christmas but I find it too strong/bitter. I’m more of an 85% kind of gal.
I don’t want to waste it so wonder if it would be good in truffles? Hoping the cream and maybe a drop or two of liquid sweetener would make it more palitable for me.

I would think that you wouldn't need the sweetener with both butter and double cream added.
I am looking at 100% dark chocolate for the next batch.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As requested, the carbohydrate breakdown.

300 ml double cream 1.6 grams * 3 = 4.8 grams
50 grams butter 1.8 grams / 2 = 0.9 grams
300 grams 70% chocolate 36 grams * 3 =108 grams

Total mix is 4.8 + 0.9 + 108 = 113.7 grams carbohydrate.

2 trays at 15 chocolates per tray is 30 chocolates.

Carbohydrates in each chocolate is 113.7/30 = 3.79 grams of carbohydrate.

@Antje77 thus 8 chocolates would have 30.32 grams of carbohydrate.

The chocolate is pretty high carb but we justify eating it because we only eat small pieces. Unless, of course we mix it with butter and cream and then eat a lot of it because it is both healthy and yummy......

Footnote: I'm struggling to find a figure for carbohydrate in 100% cocoa solids chocolate because some figures seem to be higher than for the 70%. Unless there is a lot of fibre hidden in there somewhere and they are US sites.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve got a Montezuma 100% with orange and cocoa nibs which is 8g carbs per 100g and a Willies Cacao pure100 gold which is 10.2g carbs per 100g

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 thus 8 chocolates would have 30.32 grams of carbohydrate.
I'll make them with 90% Lindt chocolate, which should make things easier to dose for if I eat 8 :) And I have to find out what to use for double cream, as I don't think we have that around here.
edit: And drooling again...

Reactions: jpscloud

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

300 ml double cream
50 gms butter

Hi that looks an easy recipe. I’d like to try it.
I wonder if I can use Hershey’s dark chocolate powder?
I got a tub on Amazon to try and make Motcha coffee lol.
M x

Reactions: jpscloud and jjraak

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

300 ml double cream
50 gms butter

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi I’d love to try this recipe.
I wonder if I can use Hershey’s chocolate powder in them.
I got a tub on Amazon to make motcha coffee lol
M. x

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
And now I want some but am in bed and no double cream in the fridge, but it's now on the shopping list. Is less tempting to take them out of the moulds and then bag them into 4 or 8 in a bag and put them back in the freezer?
I do find I miss something sweet after dinner, this might be the answer.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi I’d love to try this recipe.
I wonder if I can use Hershey’s chocolate powder in them.
I got a tub on Amazon to make motcha coffee lol
M. x

Thinking about this, but I'm not sure.
I think the chocolate bars usually have a lot of cocoa butter in them which is not in the chocolate powder.
So I don't think that you would get the same result and it might not set.
Still, worth a try if you fancy experimenting.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@LittleGreyCat oh man I’m glad I already had a square of chocolate an hour ago! These truffles are to die for!
US carbs are indeed listed differently. The “total carbs” figure will look very high to you until you subtract the “fiber”, indented just underneath the total figure. What you call carbs we call net carbs. Took me a while to figure that out!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And maybe a few chopped nuts too.

Reactions: Sue192

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

300 ml double cream
50 gms butter

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm drooling just reading about the ingredients and the recipe. Sounds gorgeous. Thoughts drifting towards my favourite pud, hot chocolate fudge cake with vanilla ice cream [smacks wrist] - don't go there.
My love of sweet stuff is why I am a roly poly pudding and I can binge on it for Britain. Amazingly my recent blood test shows yet again that I'm still prediabetic.Somebody up there must be giving me yet another chance to reform my eating habits before doomsday strikes.
Seriously though, it's better not to have it in the house if you are tempted by choc as much as I am.