1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wisdom teeth?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by maitai, Jun 10, 2019.

1. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed almost a year ago with type 2 diabetes and my wisdom teeth need to be taken out.

I've been scaring myself ever since I found this out so i'm wondering what other people experienced and what precautions they had to take before undergoing surgery.

note: this would be my very first surgery so you can imagine how scared I am lol

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A few questions
    1) what kind of medication are you on for T2
    2) what are your blood sugars/hba1cs like
    3) are you going to be having a general anaesthetic or just a local

In general, shouldn't be too much different to a non-diabetic, but things will be different if your blood sugars run high or you're on insulin. And (T1 here) not sure how things will be affected by T2 drugs such as metformin (am guessing not an issue but that's a guess).

The main issue with operations and diabetics is that stress/illness/infection will push your blood sugar up, so if you're already running high you may need some extra help. And you may be slightly more prone to infection afterwards so you'll probably need antibiotics (but you'd probably get those anyway).

Make sure your medical team know all about your T2 and you should be fine. Try not to stress (it pushes your blood sugar up :)). Good luck.

3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had an impacted lower wisdom tooth extracted under general anaesthetic last year, in the hospital day unit. They had a chat with me first and made note of the diabetes, allergies etc and they told me what they would do, how long it would take and how I would feel when I woke up.

In the event it took very little time, and although they wouldn't let me out until I had stopped bleeding they were very good while I was there. I was given a little bag with changes of bite pad in case I needed them, a detailed aftercare sheet and phone numbers for just in case (I didn't need them). I wasn't given antibiotic because I take daily antibiotics anyway (prescribed, as I haven't a spleen).

I was also warned that once the pain killer they used wore off I would likely experience some pain. I did, but nothing mega and I've had a lot worse.

They give you a sheet before you go telling you how long to fast for etc - they mean it, and if you have eaten they will refuse to operate. Do your very best to get your blood sugars down and as level as you can. If this means going low/no carb for a few days then so be it. You'll heal much faster with normal sugar levels.

They will be aware of your diabetes and they really do deal with diabetic patients all the time. I am T1 and the only precaution I took was to be absolutely sure I'd taken my basal and all other necessary drugs. If you are at all unsure about drugs (thinking of metformin) then ring your local surgery and speak to the diabetic nurse.

Good luck; it's a doddle and you'll be fine.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook