Wise fat choices

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have no expectations, crunchy rat jam is always an option.
I could happily eat a rat burger, a la 'Demolition Man'
Oh dear. If you really fancy rat our allotments have a spectacular rodent population. I will not claim as big as cats but certainly as large as kittens. The chap on the adjoining plot had them in his compost heap and told me that had gone into my greenhouse. I could not bring myself to eat anything from there afer that. Yuk. The chap still failed to understand the difference between composting cooked and raw veg so I moved the greenhouse. Why people cannot see the link between attracting rats and poor compost management and being careless when feeding the birds I can never understand.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh dear. If you really fancy rat our allotments have a spectacular rodent population. I will not claim as big as cats but certainly as large as kittens. The chap on the adjoining plot had them in his compost heap and told me that had gone into my greenhouse. I could not bring myself to eat anything from there afer that. Yuk. The chap still failed to understand the difference between composting cooked and raw veg so I moved the greenhouse. Why people cannot see the link between attracting rats and poor compost management and being careless when feeding the birds I can never understand.

Rat's are part of nature.
You're never more than 6 ft away from a rat.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Rat's are part of nature.
You're never more than 6 ft away from a rat.
There is a lot of nature I have no intention of getting near although having a hubby who is site rodent officer does make avoiding some of it more difficult that I would ideally like.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is a lot of nature I have no intention of getting near although having a hubby who is site rodent officer does make avoiding some of it more difficult that I would ideally like.

Only one thing is for sure.
No matter what you choose in life, eventually, it'll bite you in the ass.
Rat's are upfront about it.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Only one thing is for sure.
No matter what you choose in life, eventually, it'll bite you in the ass.
Rat's are upfront about it.
If one does I will take great pleasure in deep frying it in rice bran or safflower oil. I am going to have to find if we can grow safflowers in the Uk. According to wiki the ancient Egyptians grew them.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I found the following chart and article useful:

http://drcate.com/list-of-good-fats-and-oils-versus-bad/
interesting that the list indicates olive oil can be used for all purposes but other sources state it is only safe up to 40 deg C. Using the lists in conjunction seems to put peanul oil at the top of the good oil for frying. It can be used as fuel for the car too. I think it may have quite a distinctive flavour and that is why it is so popular in thai style cooking

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Here's a basic article about why I avoid polyunsaturated fats, including rapeseed/canola.
I'm not claiming it's definitive. Simply informative, giving information that can be followed up on.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturated-oils.shtml
Geoff
We do seem to have a general agreement with fats/oil cooking at lower temperature. uncooked:- Olive oil, undressed or butter.

For sautee I think we may be saying butter, quantity to be used at chef's discretion: plus a lean towards olive oil -virgin?

meats cooked in own juices although @bulkbiker recommends adding some alternative meat based ones for flavour. Would I be right thinking they are in the first column "good, all purpose" of @Indy51 list http://drcate.com/list-of-good-fats-and-oils-versus-bad/ but smoke point is an issue with all these. ?refined olive oil. I think there is no circumstance any of us on here would reccommend anything in the last column of that list -transfats.

So the debate is really about fats/oil for cooking and which is the greater risk to health: - polyunsaturates or the chemical changes an oil undergoes when it reaches smoke point. The contenders seem to be ricebran, or refined olive. Top of the wikipedia list of oils with the highest smoke point was safflower but it is only a whisker above rice bran.

Do we avoid deep frying altogether? I have to admit I only deep fried onion bhaji which I have not made since diagnosis. I read up on oils in one of the Indian papers. They were very anti rapeseed and recommended sunflower.

The cancer dietician we saw recommended cold pressed oils only. Avoid all refined oils. Olive if uncooked, Rapeseed if heating. She also stated minimal butter; only if you really have to have something on your toast. I think most of us never touch toast.

Does this answer your question @serenity648 ?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it is obvious from the posts on this threads that we all have our own favourite oils that we use. Mine is coconut oil if it does not have a strong coconut taste as that flavours the food which I don't like, rapeseed oil for cooking but only use very little for that and olive oil for salads. I may well try rice bran oil for stir frying

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well it is obvious from the posts on this threads that we all have our own favourite oils that we use. Mine is coconut oil if it does not have a strong coconut taste as that flavours the food which I don't like, rapeseed oil for cooking but only use very little for that and olive oil for salads. I may well try rice bran oil for stir frying
One of my favourites is walnut oil. It is lovely in a vinaigrette on salad.

ghost_whistler

I rarely use oil.
Most of mine comes from eating fish, and other fats naturally in foods.
If pushed I will occasionally use butter, but a stick will last several months at least.
Salad I don't dress.
The best oil I found for cooking was rice bran, and has a high smoke point of 232C
I wouldn't have thought those sources alone would be enough though

ghost_whistler

interestingly according to this article refined olive oil is nearly has good as rice bran or safflower oil. Yet butter is not much better than virgin olive oil http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html the recommendations are
  • For Sautéing: virgin olive oil and other medium smoke point fats
  • For Deep-Frying: a high smoke point, neutral fat that can be heated at least 50°F above your intended frying temperature
  • For Stir-Frying: a really high smoke point oil, like peanut or safflower, for best (and safest) results
What does it mean to say butter is not much better than VOO; i thought VOO was meant to be good?

I found the following chart and article useful:

http://drcate.com/list-of-good-fats-and-oils-versus-bad/
That list suggests olive oil is ok for cooking, but that is contrary to what i've heard elsewhere due to smoke point

Last edited by a moderator: