Wise fat choices

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If it were as easy to discern the effect of what we eat as "take sample...dead/not dead" life would be a lot easier (if less pleasant)

Well, I'm fit, active, no health problems, no diabetic complications, and aiming to stay that way for a few more decades until I am.

Reactions: azure

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No idea to be honest.
I don't count, I control more by portion size now.
I tend to eat Mediterranean diet, I don't eat pasta, potatoes, or rice normally, purely as it's a stodgy filler, and I prefer more flavour in food now.
I never butter bread, (not that I eat much, it has to be an artisan bread I want to try) or add any butter to other food,
I cook with rice bran oil normally, but it ran out a few months ago, and i haven't got around to replacing it yet.
I tend to cook using a George Foreman grill, if I have any sausage or similar, and press any oil out as they cook.
I do have the odd bacon sandwich occasionally.
Grilled fish, or oven baked, and tinned fish either tinned in a sauce, or brine.
A lot of veg, and fruit.
Breakfast was a couple of Ryvita, topped with a slice of ham, and a slice of Edam between them.
But, I have to confess, lunch today was a couple of Melton Mowbray mini pork pies, that just called my name as I passed them!
Nothing inbetween.

*sorry, off topic*

Last edited:

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What does it mean to say butter is not much better than VOO; i thought VOO was meant to be good?

According to the link the smoke point of butter is 175 deg compared to 165-190 for EVOO so both are good cold or at low temperature. The smoke point of refined olive oil seems to be higher whilst coconut oil is 175 like butter and evoo. To further complicate the issue I seem to recall all fats/oils have a mix of poly and mono unsats. It is all to do with the different proportions within each type.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The one thing I accepted as true at my diabetes education sessions is that sunflower oil is not as good for you as suggested previously, which is why I was glad that I have been using ground nut/peanut oil all this time - though it has no flavour or odour I can describe as peanutish.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The one thing I accepted as true at my diabetes education sessions is that sunflower oil is not as good for you as suggested previously, which is why I was glad that I have been using ground nut/peanut oil all this time - though it has no flavour or odour I can describe as peanutish.
There is no way I will ever remember which article I found that told me to use sunflower oil for onion bhaji (yes I think it was as specific as that) and there is certainly no way I will stand ground and say one plant based product has less gm/chemical residue/airbourne residue than another. DDT was not banned in the UK until something like 1984 and the chemical industry has never been slow to produce a new raft of wonder killers. I will only be dubious about tarring one product with all the evils as all my experience shows the chemical benefit has been quite evenly spread on crops throughout the world. I did toddle over to my bookmarks and search the Indian paper currently there to come up with this at top billing. Not quite topic but may be worth sharing http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/15-best-healthy-cooking-oils-in-india/articleshow/20678146.cms

I may have another search a bit later but it was not the sort of thing I record. More get an answer to question; end of situation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If we believed everything we read, whether somewhere else on the internet or on this forum, we would either starve to death or die before our time from some nasty diet caused illness. There would be nothing left to eat that won't kill us.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If we believed everything we read, whether somewhere else on the internet or on this forum, we would either starve to death or die before our time from some nasty diet caused illness. There would be nothing left to eat that won't kill us.

Jut read the ones that say everything is a wonder food instead.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of omega 6 in sunflower oil is the problem and whey it is no longer recommended.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've taken to using coconut oil for stir frying. It has a higher smoke point and seems to be one of the good fats - something about the medium chain fatty acids in it. I was sceptical as I've never liked coconuts or coconut flavour but I like stuff fried in the oil. Seems to have a lot of other uses too. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressings. I actively avoid rapesed/canola oil having read a lot of stuff about it and avoid other 'vegetable' oils too now (too much omega 6 or something)

Reactions: Ultramum

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It does seem best to consume fats and oils raw and if they must be used for cooking do it long and slow - below 160 degrees C no problem although the low setting on a lot of slow cookers can be a smidge above that. Anything above 160 seems to be a balancing act between flavour, toxins emitted by exceeding smoke point, polyunsaturates or the imbalance between omega 3 and 6. Oils considered edible at high temperature are the polyunsaturated ones. Omega 6 is in so many foods including olive oil which has an imbalance of 11:1 I just eat fish. I love fish so that is no problem for me.