Wise fat choices

S

serenity648

Are there different types of fat, eg. 'Good' fats my body uses for energy and 'Bad' fats that make me put on weight and clogs up my arteries?

If so, which are the good and bad ones, and how does my body know how to use them differently?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
who really knows for sure... the official advice seems to not always be right , but some individuals seems to get a really raised cholesterol from eating a lot of saturated fats..

transfatty acids are unhealthy thats for sure and a few plant oils the same

here is some good information of the different kinds of plant oils : http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-plant-oils

you can also read what ratio the different kinds of oils ought to have in our daily foods and in general

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
S

serenity648

Thank you. Can my body use all fats for energy, or do some of them only go straight into fat stores?

S

serenity648

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the video of the ex president of the World Heart Federation. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are neutral to slightly beneficial.. man made polyunsaturated fats (in things like vegetable oils) are on the whole detrimental to neutral. He didn't actually say that sat fats are beneficial but on the graphs he showed that is what was shown I guess even he couldn't bring himself to slay the myth...Although he id say quite a lot fo other good things..
In case you missed it
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/03/04/dr-salim-yusuf-and-the-pure-study/

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Can my body use all fats for energy, or do some of them only go straight into fat stores?
As far as I understand it's the carbs that go into fat stores, not fats.

Saturated fats like milk fat can raise cholesterol and protects you from heart disease.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

it is actually very difficult for the body to put fat into the fatcells in spite of what most people and even doctors believe..
very high blood sugar also raises insuline (the natural insuline that type 2 produce far too much of) , when insuline is very high then the insuline orders/helps the body to store sugar parts = glucose, into the fatcells... and if very much protein it also make the liver transform protein into glucose that can also be stored into the fatcells and fill them up, and even signal to the body to create more fat cells... .
only around 10% of fat seems to be transformed into glucose and can be stored into the fatcells and fill them

http://antranik.org/the-catabolism-of-fats-and-proteins-for-energy/

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are similar antioxidants in other products, notably berries, nuts, sweet potatoes, dark chocolate, red wine and alpha lipoic acid supplements

Reactions: Freema
S

serenity648

From the video of the ex president of the World Heart Federation. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are neutral to slightly beneficial.. man made polyunsaturated fats (in things like vegetable oils) are on the whole detrimental to neutral. He didn't actually say that sat fats are beneficial but on the graphs he showed that is what was shown I guess even he couldn't bring himself to slay the myth...Although he id say quite a lot fo other good things..
In case you missed it
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/03/04/dr-salim-yusuf-and-the-pure-study/
thank you, very helpful. Just need to work out what a CHO is .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Link to Yusuf's World Heart Federation opinion.

http://badfats.world-heart-federation.org/

So whether or not saturated fats aren't actually harmful, in the usual ranges consumed by most people, they don't deny others may actually be more beneficial.
6:54 Monounsaturated fat (MUFA) vs ApoB/ApoA shows great improvement.

http://badfats.world-heart-federation.org/goodfats/

Sponsored by Unilever.. presumably before they decided to sell off their margarine business.

Their recommendations do not include the data from the PURE study that Prof Yusuf was showing the results of as it has yet to be published.. he was giving a preview of the findings.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sponsored by Unilever.. presumably before they decided to sell off their margarine business.

Their recommendations do not include the data from the PURE study that Prof Yusuf was showing the results of as it has yet to be published.. he was giving a preview of the findings.

From your great man himself.

6:43 Saturated fat intake vs ApoB/ApoA shows the opposite of carb intake. Means to me that saturated fats aren’t harmful in terms of what they do to lipids.

6:54 Monounsaturated fat (MUFA) vs ApoB/ApoA shows great improvement.

7:12 PUFA are neutral in terms of ApoB/ApoA change.

Like I said, I'm not happy to be not 'harmful', 'in the usual ranges consumed by most people'. (Note normal, certainly no mention of high fat)
I'll settle for the more boring 'great improvement' thanks.

The graphs in your link are well worth looking at, it does indeed highlight the wise fat choices are in a completely different league to the poor ones.

Oh, and you seem to have made a typo earlier
'Saturated and monounsaturated fats are neutral to slightly beneficial'
A genuine mistake I'm sure.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturated and monounsaturated fats are neutral to slightly beneficial
He says .. and I quote
"saturated fats are not harmful, may even be slightly beneficial.." at 2:57
If you watched the presentation that is..
and if you look at his graph saturated fats are at all quartiles on the beneficial side of the graph like monounsaturates.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
He says .. and I quote
"saturated fats are not harmful, may even be slightly beneficial.." at 2:57
If you watched the presentation that is..
and if you look at his graph saturated fats are at all quartiles on the beneficial side of the graph like monounsaturates.

Very true, 'may even be'
Unlike what he says about monounsaturated.
The title of the thread is 'wise choice', not 'well it isn't really harmful, in normal quantities' choices.
So the
'Saturated and monounsaturated fats are neutral to slightly beneficial'
was accurately typed because you meant to actually say that?

But thanks for the link, the op can look at the charts in the info you provided, and as I always say, they can easily make up their own mind for themselves.

It's also reassured me about my choices, so thanks for that as well, as it further confirms everything else I've read on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
To complicate matters further fats and oils will often have a combination of molecules (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat) and will behave differently at different temperatures. I have been told olive oil becomes toxic at 40degree C. That makes it the right choice for pouring cold over a salad but not acceptable for cooking my onions in. Should I use butter for cooking? is it better to sautee onions in a little water until soft. Leeks just taste better sauteed in butter but would it be healthier to cook them in a different manner in some circumstances?

Would @bulkbiker and @douglas99 consider giving us a list of their recommendations of oils and fats for different culinery purposes? Celeraic chips for example.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To complicate matters further fats and oils will often have a combination of molecules (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat) and will behave differently at different temperatures. I have been told olive oil becomes toxic at 40degree C. That makes it the right choice for pouring cold over a salad but not acceptable for cooking my onions in. Should I use butter for cooking? is it better to sautee onions in a little water until soft. Leeks just taste better sauteed in butter but would it be healthier to cook them in a different manner in some circumstances?

Would @bulkbiker and @douglas99 consider giving us a list of their recommendations of oils and fats for different culinery purposes? Celeraic chips for example.

I rarely use oil.
Most of mine comes from eating fish, and other fats naturally in foods.
If pushed I will occasionally use butter, but a stick will last several months at least.
Salad I don't dress.
The best oil I found for cooking was rice bran, and has a high smoke point of 232C