Wish me luck, I’m going in....

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... With my meter tonight.

Following last week’s yummyness of stewed rhubarb and cream for pud, I tried to buy more this week and of course, there was none. However there were cheapo plums. You know the ones, in a punnet labelled ‘Butterfly Haven Farm’ or some such (to inspire misty visions of endless sunshine-y plum trees with bees buzzing etc, each fruit lovingly hand-plucked by a happy tanned worker, at the peak of juicy perfection), and bearing that well-known legend, ‘ripen at home’.

‘Ripen at home’ - aka ‘we picked these by machine when they were bullet-hard and could withstand the rough handling sometime last season and left them in a fruit store for months, and now we want to shift them on to make room for more. “Ripen at home” in no way implies that these fruit will ever become ripe enough to eat, except possibly for a small window between 3:14 and 3:15am on a Monday morning, if you are lucky, after which they will immediately become brown and mushy’

Yeah, those ones... it did occur to me that those poor unfortunate little plums, all hard and sour, might become soft and exotically fragrant when stewed with a little sweetener. And because they are fundamentally unripe, their native sugar content should be low enough to avoid BG spikes.

This is my theory.

Buckle up, Buttercup. Me and my meter, we’re going in.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be watching your numbers with interest......

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, not bad... 4.9 pre-meal and 6.4 2hrs later. Dinner was chicken Caesar salad with some of Tesco’s beetroot in vinegar, maybe a little carby at 7.5g/100g but not too heinous. Then stewed plums with cream. Which were indeed transformed into scented fruity sweet, sharp yummyness.

A raise of 1.5 is a little more than I would like to see, but something I can live with now and then to have a bit more variety of fruit to play with. Maybe not for a meal which also includes beetroot though! Roll on the goosegog season...:cat: