Without Fasting etc, am I doomed to Sail The Prediab Ocean?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Yeah, ok, a Tad Dramatic . . . But you're reading this now. ;)

I'm on 2mg of Metformin/day. After 15 months I've knocked back my 18bg fasting to this, seemingly, stationery, stuck, endless series of the Sticky-Sixes. Am I to remain here?

I've read that people here do harsh and but attainable diets, linked with kilometres of walking and extending fasting, do I need to do the same to get below 6 into remission 4>>5 levels? Is my Endocrine system THAT shot that it needs all of the above to get me into remission?

Look, I realise I'm in a very fortunate position compared to other souls hereabouts - I'm NOT complaining. I just want to know if this is it for me?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, ok, a Tad Dramatic . . . But you're reading this now. ;)

I'm on 2mg of Metformin/day. After 15 months I've knocked back my 18bg fasting to this, seemingly, stationery, stuck, endless series of the Sticky-Sixes. Am I to remain here?

I've read that people here do harsh and but attainable diets, linked with kilometres of walking and extending fasting, do I need to do the same to get below 6 into remission 4>>5 levels? Is my Endocrine system THAT shot that it needs all of the above to get me into remission?

Look, I realise I'm in a very fortunate position compared to other souls hereabouts - I'm NOT complaining. I just want to know if this is it for me?
Out of interest, why do you want to go below 6? I keep forgetting there are signatures as it doesn’t show in portrait, your hba1c isn’t going to tally with fbg, and those can be a pain to get pulled down.

Everyone is different, and comparing against others risks you setting yourself unrealistic goals

You have to live with diabetes, as we all do, but fasting, harsh diets and the rest doesn’t work for us all, but there are things that can work and it is lifelong changes but living in misery doesn’t seem quite right either

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t focus entirely on your FBG level. It’s usually the last one to come down and is affected by so many variables - dawn phenomenon, stress, sleep quality and so on. For me it can be a distraction.

Rather, if you want to lower your HbA1c I’d be looking at the pre and post prandial readings and tweaking what you eat - so long as you’re confident that you can sustain the changes. You’ll likely find that if you improve these readings, FBG will follow.

Exercise and fasting are a personal choice - intermittent fasting or a narrow eating window is fairly attainable for most people on a regular basis. Extended fasting is a whole different issue!

Exercise has many health benefits but isn’t the biggest influence on blood sugars.

From your signature your HbA1c has been going steadily downwards, despite some health challenges. Before doing anything drastic why not find out whether it’s come down again since August?

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They'd probably "work" but they may not be something everyone wants to do..?
Well yes, it depends on the diet, the person, their medical history etc... so many combinations...

For me it’s that very careful balance of being in control of the diabetes and the acknowledging that it can make like harder but not so I personally feel it is unlivable and that is different for everyone.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Why do you concern yourself with something that you can't directly influemce?
My FBG is still around 6 thanks to Dawn Phenomenon, even though my Hba1C is 37.

You mention walking kilometres - exercise has little effect on HbA1C much less FBG.
Harsh diets - well they would probably reduce HbA1C so long as you could stick to them - but FBG ? - probably not in the short/medium term!
Fasting - same as for diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For the last part possibly..not shot so much as requiring assistance.

Remission will vary between all of us in how it can be achieved but the methods you have described are a reasonable way of assisting you own body get there.

So why not try some intermittent fasting? maybe skip breakfast a couple of days a week and see what happens . I'd suggest trying any of them for a month at least.

I find almost carnivore pretty easy because I love meat of all kinds but you might be ok with keto.
So why not try that for a month.

I'm not a fan of exercise so apart from a couple of dog walks each day don't walk kilometres very often but if you like walking and have the time then try that too.

FBG is the one thing that didn't normalise for me until about 6 months into my intermittent fasting combined with keto eating nd I still get the odd high 5's ... it's just one of those things.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Firstly, thank you all for your considered and sympathetic responses. Much of it is based in well-found evidence based results. However, I wish to respond in an appropriate way, hence me taking my time. Again, thank you.