Women's issues on LCHF

Undlosgehtes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So,
ladies have you noticed any differences while in LCHF. For me my period has become much lighter and nearly painless. What I observe though is that my BG is higher than usual during this time of month, my highest fasting measurement was 7.1mmol. It always takes a few days and then it seems to normalize again. What are your experiences? I am curious about what you have to say about this.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am post menopausal so have no direct experience of this but it makes sense that pain levels due to menses might ease on LCHF because fewer carbs cause less inflammation. As to flow rates, I couldn't possibly guess but fluctuating levels of hormones are bound to influence the metabolism.

An interesting point you have made here.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been BG testing long enough to give an authoritative answer, but yes, based on one-month's testing, BG was at its highest point right before and for first few days. I even did a search because I was confused, as nothing I was eating was causing any spikes.... just overall numbers were 0.5-1mmol higher.

D

Deleted Account

I understand higher BG is common during menstruation regardless of diet.
For me, it has been a good indication my bleeding will start in a day or two.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m 57 and still in perimenopause. The only reason I can think of is that I’m so blo*dy fit and healthy on a LCHF diet.

BS changes along with most hormonal fluctuations but maybe it’s better on our diet.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have found less pain and lower PMT symptoms to be a great added benefit of low carb diet. I do measure slightly higher just prior to and early in period and after measuring my bllod glucose levels for a few years I also noticed a slight raise at ovulation too.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've experienced almost exactly the same thing. Diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, so this is my first diabetic period.
My levels were raised for a couple of days right at the start (day before and first day). I normally have horrific cramps and have experienced almost nothing! Flow seems lighter, too.

There's got to be some up-sides, right? :)

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My hair has thinned horribly. Been low carb for 13 months now. Devastating!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is my first period since I started LCHF, and I didn’t even notice it creeping up on me. Normally my husband and son can tell when I’m due as I get a bit, er, crabby. And spotty. None of that this month. I don’t know if it’s a one off or whether it’s the new normal! My BG was a little higher the day before it started but that could have been down to a cold I’m trying to shake.

@Incyb - my hair is horribly thin too :oops:

Reactions: Incyb

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rock and a hard place, eh? Fat and diabetic or skinny and bald.
Screenshot_2018-02-17-10-50-23.png

Reactions: Undlosgehtes

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’m 57 and still in perimenopause. The only reason I can think of is that I’m so blo*dy fit and healthy on a LCHF diet.

BS changes along with most hormonal fluctuations but maybe it’s better on our diet.

Ah, age of perimenopause and menopause as a sign of fitness and health? I can understand it is fun to think it is so, but I strongly doubt it. :)

I think those things, as in age of menopause, differ between families/the female line etc quite strongly. I know that when I enquired amongst my maternal aunts, the ones who had not had a hysterectomy in the surgery-happy 70s and 80s, all had menopause at the age of 53, exactly the same as me.

You are right though for sure - still in perimenopause at 57 is pretty amazing! And good health and fitness is a wonderful thing regardless of whether we are menstruating or not, absolutely :happy:. Yay LCHF.