Wondering if it's connected . . .

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted about a burning sensation in my leg recently. I also have high blood pressure and my medication was changed just over 2 weeks ago.

My blood pressure seems to be going up rather than down. Latest readings have ranged from 151/95 to 190/109 which was taken around 8pm this evening. My other readings have included 165/101, 175/93 and 167/105.

Readings have all been taken when relaxed and resting. The burning and tingling in my leg seems to be worse. Does anyone know if high blood pressure can cause these symptoms? I'm really starting to worry. My Hba1c at my recent annual review was ok (49) although two separate blood sugar readings this evening were 11.6 and 9.3 - I tested twice as I couldn't get a reading off the first two test strips and thought I had a false reading on the 11.6.

I have made a Drs appointment for a day or so before my new blood pressure meds run out but now I'm thinking about trying to get one this week and changing it!

Feeling stressed out and worried :(

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would get seen as soon as possible and not wait weeks.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd ring NHS Direct/111 pronto. Good luck.

I don't think NHS DIRECT exists any more? I don't think it's "serious" enough for me to call 111 as I'm not in pain, just quite a bit of discomfort. Although, it's said that there are usually no symptoms to indicate someone has high blood pressure.

Depending on what other replies and responses I get, I think I'm going to phone the surgery tomorrow and ask to speak to the triage or nurse practitioner and get some advice. I don't think I want to leave it another week.

Reactions: asparagusp
A

asparagusp

111 would ask you what your problem is and they would decide whether you need emergency treatment. Okay, it's only eight hours until the surgery opens. Good luck.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the posts above in that you definitely need to see a doctor tomorrow. With the readings you have quoted in your original post, they warrant urgent attention. Please don't let the receptionists tell you there are no appointments available tomorrow. They need to see you as an 'Emergency'. Keep an eye on your BP readings overnight if you are awake and if they rise further, you would warrant a trip to A/E, I'm afraid. Better safe than sorry, eh? Good luck

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update. I phoned the surgery first thing this morning. The receptionist said the triage nurse would phone me back. I insisted on speaking to or having a call back from a nurse or Dr and told them the reasons why.

Give the nurse her due, I had a call within about 15 mins. She asked what my reading was this morning but unfortunately I'd not had time to do this prior to arriving at work. She said she'd get my own Dr to phone me to discuss further. Well, I waited to 3pm but still no call. Decided to phone surgery in case the message hadn't been passed on. However, my Dr had been caught up with a surgery and clinics.

Anyway, she has asked me to double up on remaining meds and I have a prescription waiting at the surgery to collect with the new increased dose of 25mgs.

I'll be collecting it tomorrow as I have my retinal screening at the surgery. At this rate I'm going to reserve myself a seat in the waiting room! ;)