WONKY READINGS

lilibet

Morning all

Bit concerned about wonky readings. Last night before bed bs stated 4.9. Though not hypo did think it was bit too low to go to bed with so had cereal. Improved only a bit by 2 hours so had snack.
Too anxious to sleep and tested at 2am when it was 14.

This morning it was 2.9! but I didnt feel too bad until the shot of adrenaline hit me and made me feel like i was having hypo. Couldnt understand why it was so low so re washed hands, tested again now 9.8 . Given lapse in time was seconds :?: :?: . Tested again a min later and it was about 10.5

Can anyone shed light on this? Im v puzzled as to why this does/could happen and am now doubting my machine and therefore all other results I've been taking. Optium xceed is what I use and strips are calibrated/matching numbers etc. As far as I am aware monitor is only about as old as my diagnosis so wouldnt have expected any damage so far. Not in excess heat, in pouch all the time etc.

Hope you can help :?

Thanks a bunch

L

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
2.9 was a spurious reading - perhaps with water on the hands. Trust the two higher readings.

DiabeticGeek

I suggest that you ignore peculiar readings. Finger-prick tests are great for giving you a rough estimate of your true BG, but they aren't that accurate. Not only are domestic meters not up to the standards of lab equipment, but the tiny blood sample taken means that infinitesimal amounts of contamination can throw it off. A tiny bit of soap or water can give you a low reading, and food particles too small to be seen can give you a high reading. This is why doctors use blood samples taken from a vein and analysed using lab equipment - that is vastly more accurate. However, if you are careful you can increase the accuracy of your own testing. Before I test, after washing my hands I rinse the finger that I am going to prick again and dry it thoroughly on a clean microfiber cloth that I keep for the purpose. This seems to cause fewer duff figures.

If you are concerned about your meter (and they can get damaged - dropping it could do it), then phone up the manufacturer. Most of them will send you a bottle of test solution, that contains a known value of glucose, that you can check it with.