Work has asked me to travel to India

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the title suggests my work has asked me to travel to India for a week in January. I was diagnosed in April this year and my levels are relatively well controlled.
I know it's my decision whether or not to go but I'm undecided. On the one hand I don't want to be defined by being diabetic on the other I am nervous about managing time zone changes and different foods.
I know everyone is different and you can't decide for me but I just thought I'd gauge responses to if you would go or not?
Thanks
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Go for it ! Don't let diabetes control your life. You may need to adjust a little but it's only a week !

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Work has asked me to travel to India

depending where you are going in India, remember to adjust for the heat as well, and have a good time.

I'm envious. Since I've been diagnosed the furthest I've been is Norway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I would definitely go Andrea and not be held back by your diabetes, however it's sensible to take reasonable precautions before you go and find out as much as possible about travelling, accommodation and what help is available in the event that you did need help. The Diabetes UK helpline might be able to advise you on your travel plans and such.

oweri02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Absolutely Andrea, enjoy the trip. Make sure you have a letter from your GP/Diabetes team saying you have to carry Insulin in your hand-luggage. Carry something that says you are someone who has diabetes that requires insulin. Don't be defined as "I'm/you're a diabetic" - One has diabetes, a big difference!

Try to go local time ASAP, adjusting any background insulin whilst on the plane

Eating there, they are keen to give you as much rice as possible and if not good English, they will struggle to understand. I've asked colleagues to say "Child portion of rice only" - sometimes works, sometimes not.

Make sure you take a method of keeping insulin chilled for travel, and hopefully have a fridge in your hotel room also -
I usually take double of everything I need, "just in case"

Do let us know where in India you're going to

And of course, let us know how you get on, and enjoy the experience

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity
Go and enjoy it
Hana

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What a great opportunity, go for it.

I've been to India, Nepal, Africa, Asia, USA and many other places don't let your diabetes stop you :), it has not stopped me.

There is lots of advice on line to help with adjustments, it may seem strange to you at first but it all makes sense, please ask if you have any concerns.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you all for your responses. An overwhelming yes it is then :)

Also thanks for the handy tips.
:thumbup:

I'll let you know how I get on.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to add I'm going to Hyderabad. Not sure I'll get any free time to explore sadly but be interesting to see the place.

Anyone been there before?

Also I'm assuming I'll be ok taking my usual biscuits and dextrose with me just in case.
Andrea