Work Sandwich Box

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done me 5pm test and it's gone down to 5
Is it me or there something wrong?
After the dinner I had according to some my test results should have been sky high.

Without knowing what you were immediately before you started to eat your dinner, it is difficult to say. You could have been 4, in which case the rise to 7.2 after 2 hours is not good. I also suggest you will have been a lot higher than that around an hour or so after starting because the mandarins are very fast release - meaning they break down to glucose very quickly, so by 2 hours you were on your way down again.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To save you looking back at my previous posts.
Before breakfast 5.6
Breakfast of tea with 2 sugars and 4 wheetabix no sugar.
Midday test 5.8
Dinner at 1pm
2 thins with 3 slices ham on each and cottage cheese. Baby Bell, Home made muffin, pot of manderins glass of no sugar orange squash.
3pm test 7.2
5pm test 5

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done me 5pm test and it's gone down to 5
Is it me or there something wrong?
After the dinner I had according to some my test results should have been sky high.

In the four hours between your 1pm dinner and 5pm test, your sugars could easily have spiked and then lowered again. That's plenty of time. This is why testing 2 hours after a meal is more useful.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Well I've been testing all day and I've gone from 7.9 down to 7.2 after 3 hours, back to 7.9 before lunch, and am now 12.8 before tea! I haven't got back onto LCHF today but after these results I WILL tomorrow, no more messing. Interesting the dizzied I am with the Ménière's is when I get the highest readings, weird I think?

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the four hours between your 1pm dinner and 5pm test, your sugars could easily have spiked and then lowered again. That's plenty of time. This is why testing 2 hours after a meal is more useful.
In between 1pm and 5pm I did a 3pm test of 7.2

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To save you looking back at my previous posts.
Before breakfast 5.6
Breakfast of tea with 2 sugars and 4 wheetabix no sugar.
Midday test 5.8
Dinner at 1pm
2 thins with 3 slices ham on each and cottage cheese. Baby Bell, Home made muffin, pot of manderins glass of no sugar orange squash.
3pm test 7.2
5pm test 5
The first reading of the day is useful for a fasting reading.

Between the pre breakfast test and the 12pm there was 6hrs. No matter what you ate it is to be expected that it would be close to the same. I’d put money on the 8am reading would have been significantly higher. All you know is that it went back down another 4 hrs after that. Frankly useless information at 12pm.

Although you have an after dinner reading at 3pm you don’t know what it was before. Between midday and eating at 1pm it could have gone down to 5 or less. Again whilst the 2 hrs after lunch reading isn’t horrific it’s not fantastic either. And still no good information about what the food did as you can’t measure the rise. Kind of makes the 3pm not particularly useful.

If you tested at 5 I hope you ate very soon after and test again at 7. Otherwise all the the 5pm one does it tell you that eventually you come back down after dinner. Everyone does so again without the follow up reading it’s a useless number.

I get the difficulties in your work environment but really how long does taking gloves off and washing or wiping hands take? Or is the gear you wear more complex than that? Once hands are exposed and clean I can’t see an issue with doing it at work. Who is it causing hassle to? It’s your health, and important. I think it’s about setting your priorities. You will not see what’s happening and the readings are pointless unless there’s some structure. You want the hassle and fingerpricks to be something useful for you and your drs. You need to learn the effects of your food on your blood (because frankly I think you’ll find it shocking and want to make changes).

As others said unless specifically requested blood tests won’t show diabetes. If your tests are about the paint in your environment and it’s effects it’s perfectly possible it wasn’t requested. Fingers crossed for you that it drops naturally after the heart attack but if it doesn’t you’ll be better armed by this process.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my lunch box for travelling today I have a can of Britvic tomato juice. That might be an improvement and a tasty alternative to water. 3.7 grams per 100ml in a small can. Not sure if that would suit all though.

Last edited:

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume that is just for travelling and not just for the day?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that is just for travelling and not just for the day?
Yes. It’s only a small can but it’s a bit more tasty than a glass of water. Helps break up the day on otherwise more restrictive beverages.

Interesting to see what others think.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ATM I drink diluted orage squash. It say 0.2g carbs per 100g on the side of the bottle
Mind you if you don't like squash. Just a suggestion.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ATM I drink diluted orage squash. It say 0.2g carbs per 100g on the side of the bottle
Mind you if you don't like squash. Just a suggestion.
Yep I do drink a lotof articicially sweetened squash now at home.