Work Sandwich Box

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that is a good idea.
Instead of ham thins with all the bits that go with them.
Cooked chicken breast.
I've had a looksee and chicken breast has no carbs in at all.
Revised sandwich box:-
Two chicken breasts
One baby bell
One manderine pieces pot
Two muffins
1 ltr no sugar diluted orange squash

I know the muffins are a bit over the top but the way I'm looking is that the extra carbs/sugar would be burnt off during my shift of working.
Any feedback on my therory will be greatfully recieved.
Get the Mrs to knock out some low carb muffins for you during the day for the following days....

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bananas and grapes are worst for T2. We generally stick with a few berries with full fat yoghurt or double cream. We are all different and we need to test to find how individual foods affect us. I had to stop eating Clementines much to my dismay.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A few raspberries or strawberries, with a small carton of double cream or a Greek yogurt would be a better choice than mandarins, or any other tropical fruit.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on a family trip to London next week. So while the rest are eating fast food etc I will know what to take with me in a little lunch box.
You can eat fast food with your family. Just order a burger with extra greens, extra bacon, and no bun. (5 grams of carbs or up to 40 grams for a burger.) It's the bun that's carby, the rest however.... You have options! ;) McD's and BK won't bat an eye at that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If manderines are a bit much I'll have to find something else fruit wise. I tried a banana the other and me blood sugar went ape.
Perhaps a banana would'nt spike me whilst I'm at work, but then again I could aply that to me manderines as well
Banana's spike you hard and fast, they're going to hit your bloodstream like rocket fuel. (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits will give you some idea of what's good and what isn't.) Berries however, those are fine. Cheaper from the frozen aisle, fresh is expensive. You could bring in eggs you boiled at home. Pork scratchings, a ham-and-cheese roll-up with butter in between (who needs a sandwich anyway?), walnuts, baby bel/cheese cubes... If you insist on muffins, try making eggs with ham in a muffin tray. Easy to take with you, still muffin-sized, but hearty rather than sweet and carby...

I wish you'd ditch the low fat stuff, as that's usually high in carbs. ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Get the Mrs to knock out some low carb muffins for you during the day for the following days....
This Mrs is too busy working and modding to be running after him indoors all the time. Please remember we are a diverse group...

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This Mrs is too busy working and modding to be running after him indoors all the time. Please remember we are a diverse group...
Indeed I was half joking. In my household I am the Mrs and my wife works full time. :D. And I cannot cook. I will try at some point when I get a chance to knock out some low carb muffins.

Reactions: Diakat

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ardvark

Just NO.
One packet of cheese puffs
Two home made muffins
One carton of grapefruit segments
Two chocolate biscuit bars

NO...was that too harsh..?..sorry,

and not saying it's YOU, but
while you save pennies now, you will most likely be storing up loads of issues for later.

i'd rather make the cuts now to ensure that i could eat better, AND carry on working, etc as near normal as possible.
always surprises me when people speak about how tight things are, while still having the latest phone, car, tech.

I think those early days are SO important.
they help get the figures down, help you learn WHAT spikes and what doesn't
and educates the mind and body about what GOOD food looks and tastes like.
It is a sharp learning curve for definite, and some slips and mistakes on the way, are par for the course.
but i think i, and my family are worth the effort...imho.

I found the cost of BETTER meals, is slightly higher, BUT..i now eat less, so the meals i cook, for me.
i divide into two, one for tonight, the other is the next days luchbox..so very cost effective, and as i move forward, the cost are reducing as i find my STABLE of fridge foods, which now means less waste, i eat it all (and enjoy it, ) without any mistaken adventures into the food aisles...though i am still in the EXPERIMENTAL Stages of home food prepping.;)

( it's all relative, i know...i'd keep the bike and car, above any phone etc
but what use is all that, if you end up sick, then can't provide or care for the family, because you cut a few corners to keep the iPhone 6K, sky dish, etc...? )

Money is tight every where, so i hear your plea..and do i hope you have taken on board some
of the great advice on here.. ( @DCUKMod ..i do the bacon joint, but loving the other ideas..:happy: )

see link for an explanation of SUGGESTED limits to our diets... https://www.bloodsugar101.com/must-you-deteriorate

And do please check the items you eat, if you haven't already ensured they are safe and don't spike you
But for the above mentioned,OR new unproven items, if you keep eating i'd be wary and tempted to check the hour after, then at 2 hours, THEN at 3 hours..i think you might be surprised

Only have to do it once, but at least then you would KNOW.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a tongue in cheek comment. My Mrs is asleep during the day and works at night. I am the Mrs at home.

my missus can, but doesn't cook.
i do all that, but as we work at different times i tend to cook for one..( usually.)

So i echo your statement..modern men, hey... Nothing we can't do...;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ardvark

Just NO.
One packet of cheese puffs
Two home made muffins
One carton of grapefruit segments
Two chocolate biscuit bars

NO...was that too harsh..?..sorry,

and not saying it's YOU, but
while you save pennies now, you will most likely be storing up loads of issues for later.

i'd rather make the cuts now to ensure that i could eat better, AND carry on working, etc as near normal as possible.
always surprises me when people speak about how tight things are, while still having the latest phone, car, tech.

I think those early days are SO important.
they help get the figures down, help you learn WHAT spikes and what doesn't
and educates the mind and body about what GOOD food looks and tastes like.
It is a sharp learning curve for definite, and some slips and mistakes on the way, are par for the course.
but i think i, and my family are worth the effort...imho.

I found the cost of BETTER meals, is slightly higher, BUT..i now eat less, so the meals i cook, for me.
i divide into two, one for tonight, the other is the next days luchbox..so very cost effective, and as i move forward, the cost are reducing as i find my STABLE of fridge foods, which now means less waste, i eat it all (and enjoy it, ) without any mistaken adventures into the food aisles...though i am still in the EXPERIMENTAL Stages of home food prepping.;)

( it's all relative, i know...i'd keep the bike and car, above any phone etc
but what use is all that, if you end up sick, then can't provide or care for the family, because you cut a few corners to keep the iPhone 6K, sky dish, etc...? )

Money is tight every where, so i hear your plea..and do i hope you have taken on board some
of the great advice on here.. ( @DCUKMod ..i do the bacon joint, but loving the other ideas..:happy: )

see link for an explanation of SUGGESTED limits to our diets... https://www.bloodsugar101.com/must-you-deteriorate

And do please check the items you eat, if you haven't already ensured they are safe and don't spike you
But for the above mentioned,OR new unproven items, if you keep eating i'd be wary and tempted to check the hour after, then at 2 hours, THEN at 3 hours..i think you might be surprised

Only have to do it once, but at least then you would KNOW.
You make a good point here. Whilst the cost of the food items goes up we are tending to eat less....

At least that appears to be true in my case.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the subject of the "MRS"
The way we do things at home is like this:-
I go out to work.
"MRS" stays at home and works
Her job is to look after the house, kids when they were at home.
We work as a team.
She loves cooking things for me.

Now as far as cooking lo carb muffins we'd have to look into that.
From what I can see the cherries and sultana's are the baddies but hell do they taste good.

What about the theory of having manderines and burning the sugar off during the shift at work?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go out to work.
We work as a team.

From what I can see the cherries and sultana's are the baddies but hell do they taste good.
You sound like me. Sweet tooth. :D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go out to work.
We work as a team.

What about the theory of having manderines and burning the sugar off during the shift at work?
The aim of the low carb diet is to switch to burning fats.
The rationale is that our glucose handling system is not working well, so changing to the system which burns fat restores normality - we are a perfect hybrid device, changing fuel source can result in the other system repairing itself to some extent, or in the worst case scenario, not becoming any more broken, but by sending mixed messages - i.e. eating carbs to activate the failed system, you can end up in the worst rather than the best position, craving carbs and in particular sugars and then trying to cope with them.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for sounding thick but is that a round about way of saying my theory would'nt work?
I'm talking about the muffin and manderine theory.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The aim of the low carb diet is to switch to burning fats.
The rationale is that our glucose handling system is not working well, so changing to the system which burns fat restores normality - we are a perfect hybrid device, changing fuel source can result in the other system repairing itself to some extent, or in the worst case scenario, not becoming any more broken, but by sending mixed messages - i.e. eating carbs to activate the failed system, you can end up in the worst rather than the best position, craving carbs and in particular sugars and then trying to cope with them.
@Resurgam. I can cope with carb cravings. Does that help?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for sounding thick but is that a round about way of saying my theory would'nt work?
I'm talking about the muffin and manderine theory.

If your blood glucose spikes because you have eaten sugar and/or carbs (as it surely will) then you have put yourself in danger territory. Exercising will eventually bring this spike down, although that depends on the exercise, but the spike happened. It is the spikes and the resulting huge spike in circulating insulin that cause the damage to the small blood vessels resulting in conditions affecting the eyes and nerves, and inflammation. The aim is to keep the carbs down, which will keep the insulin secretion down and also the blood glucose levels. Don't forget, it isn't just high blood glucose that causes problems, high circulating insulin is equally as damaging, if not more so.

Reactions: briped

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The orange juice even if low sugar would be better swapped to water - and its free. I admit I have always been a water drinker, and with a thick slice of lime or similar in it its not so bad. I use a refillable bottle and nowadays a water filter jug as I find the water tastes better for longer.