Work Sandwich Box

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm asking for advice here.
Normaly for work I take these items:-
Two thins with three slices of square ham on each and cheese and onion sandwich filler.
Two thin cheese squares
One packet of cheese puffs
Two home made muffins
One carton of grapefruit segments
Two chocholate buiscuit bars
1 ltr of diluted orange squash
I have two breaks a shift and I make the above last over the two breaks.

When I go back to work I intend to change my sandwich box to this :-
Two thins with three slices of square ham with a thin spread of low fat cottage cheese
One carton of manderine segments

Now thats what I've got so far. Some will say it's all bad but if you bear in mind cost of things that is what I have.

If any members have any tips or suggestions please let me know. Pennies are the issue as well as the health issue.

Reactions: Amy Cecilia

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have access to microwave? Just because I might suggest eggs or soup as cheap and better for you. If not, cold frittata is still affordable and tasty.

Reactions: Rosie B

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Two thins with three slices of square ham with a thin spread of low fat cottage cheese
One carton of manderine segments
It does look a bit high carb low fat to me, and the question is, would it make you feel satiated?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Baby bel cheeses
Walnuts
Small pot of Greek yoghurt
Carton or bottle of cordial without sugar. I make my own at home but you can get sealable beakers. Or take the cordial to work and make it up at work.

How about a sandwich made with low carb brown bread?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on a family trip to London next week. So while the rest are eating fast food etc I will know what to take with me in a little lunch box.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Dozen or so sliced of cucumber, and a chunk of butter for my midday coffee.

May well bring the cucumber home too.

Easy to carry.;)

D

Deleted member 308541

I used to get bacon and egg burgers with the works, from the BSD shop just outside the smelter gates when i was on day shift years ago. Two of them set me up for the rest of the shift.

On the other shifts I used to take meals and reheat them in the crib room, I never had a lunch box but a old Nike sports bag that was home to a jar of coffee, another for sugar, three of four packets of ciggies, and whatever book I was reading the time.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese puffs, read the ingredients on the packet, you may be shocked. Instead make your own.

Google keto cheese pops lots of recipes. I haven't actually tried them myself but they are on the to do list next week.

Another snack to make yourself is courgette crisps. Mandolin slices, sprinkle with anything you fancy, I was a bit heavy handed with the garlic powder. I have done them in the oven and dehydrator. None of them made it to the container for the next day!

Cheese crisps. Grated cheddar, sprinkle with parmesan, herbs of choice, heat in oven lay to rest on kitchen paper to absorb the oil. Again lots of info on line. Key is to keep an eye on them. They go from just right to overdone in nano seconds

There is loads of stuff out there, you just at have to know what to search for.

Basically, anything you fancy, just put keto in front when you Google.

D

Deleted member 308541

There is loads of stuff out there, you just at have to know what to search for.

Basically, anything you fancy, just put keto in front when you Google.
Plus putting T1 or T2 recipes in the search as well.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plus putting T1 or T2 recipes in the search as well.
Really? I have never done that. Will have to give it a go. I am very wary of any recipes I read on line. First I check the ingredients, then the carb count. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 308541

Really? I have never done that. Will have to give it a go. I am very wary of any recipes I read on line. First I check the ingredients, then the carb count. Thanks.
I was sort of thinking out loud, perhaps the OP @ardvark will sort his / her profile out then we would not have to make both diabetic type suggestions.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I need to do a pack-up, for whatever reason, mine tends to focus around protein and fat to keep my fuller longer.

A pack of chicken thighs (I think if I recall about 8 decent sized ones) is under £2 in Lidl. Cook them all at once (roasted, BBQ or airfried for me), then when cooled, wrap individually in foil and fridge what will be eating in a couple of days, then freeze the rest. As they are already foil wrapped, they are easy to remove from the freezer singly. If you are having them at work, if you take the out the night before, or in the morning, they'll have defrosted by the time you want to eat.

Wrapped in foil, they cane become (slightly inelegant) finger food. Wings or drummers also work, they they're less meaty.

Baby bell, or other little blocks of cheese. Again, if using block cheese, prepping ahead, wrapping cut mini-block portions in foil and refrigerating works well.

Cold meats - Buying a gammon joint from the butcher or supermarket, roasting, slicing and wrapping would be favoured by me, over processed ham.

A gammon hock, stripped of its skin (to be made into crackling), then boiled for stock, for soup, then the meat "pulled", by shredding with forks, then adding any condiments you like, like mayo, or chilli sauce, or whatever makes a great pot meal, eaten twith a fork.

A gammon hock in our butcher's in under £3 and gives crackling, a fair few sliced on the best parts, then plenty pulled gammon, plus soup stock. Leftover veggies, or a fridge clear up can go in the soup. All in all - loads of meals from under £3.

Oh, and of course hard boiled eggs.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that is a good idea.
Instead of ham thins with all the bits that go with them.
Cooked chicken breast.
I've had a looksee and chicken breast has no carbs in at all.
Revised sandwich box:-
Two chicken breasts
One baby bell
One manderine pieces pot
Two muffins
1 ltr no sugar diluted orange squash

I know the muffins are a bit over the top but the way I'm looking is that the extra carbs/sugar would be burnt off during my shift of working.
Any feedback on my therory will be greatfully recieved.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that is a good idea.
Instead of ham thins with all the bits that go with them.
Cooked chicken breast.
I've had a looksee and chicken breast has no carbs in at all.
Revised sandwich box:-
Two chicken breasts
One baby bell
One manderine pieces pot
Two muffins
1 ltr no sugar diluted orange squash

I know the muffins are a bit over the top but the way I'm looking is that the extra carbs/sugar would be burnt off during my shift of working.
Any feedback on my therory will be greatfully recieved.
There are plenty of low carb or keto muffin recipes if you Google. Both savoury and sweet. I would treat the mandarins with suspicion. Have you tested for them?

Reactions: Brunneria

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If manderines are a bit much I'll have to find something else fruit wise. I tried a banana the other and me blood sugar went ape.
Perhaps a banana would'nt spike me whilst I'm at work, but then again I could aply that to me manderines as well