1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Work

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by parkinsonryan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. parkinsonryan

parkinsonryan Type 1 · Member

I am newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and working on a building site ( very dusty and dirty job ) doing very heavy manual handling. Does anyone else do this job or think I should be thinking about changing my job? Also had hypo at work Monday as it was a bit to much and sugars dropped drastically quick

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

If you enjoy your work, diabetes is not a reason to change it.
    You may need to make a few adjustments (which under the UK Disability Discrimination Act you are entitled to require) such as frequent monitoring of your BG and reducing your insulin to avoid hypos but diabetes should not be a reason to stop doing what you want.
    Just look at sportsmen with diabetes you do very "manual work": I look at people like Henry Slade who plays Rugby for England as inspiration of what we can do.
    As you say, you are newly diagnosed so it will take some time to work out what you need to do but I do not think you should change your job because you have diabetes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think @Peadair O Brionn who is T2 works on a building site but might have some useful advice.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@parkinsonryan - I'm sure there will be plenty folks drop in who di heavy manual work. I'm not T1, so have no personal wisdom to offer you, but all I'd say is take it steady and get to know your T1 and how you manage it for some time beforer making any big decisions about your life.

The early days will likely have a few bumps in the road, but hopefully your diabetes team will be helpful, and there a many, many years of experience here on the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

We are fortunate these days as we can use tools like the libre which is a flash monitoring system for checking glucose, so those who work in jobs where testing is difficult like chefs, teachers, manual labourers etc, then it's easy to scan your sensor and see what's going on without the hassle of using test strips, speak to your DSN as it's available on prescription in some areas but would be very useful and help you avoid potential lows. Also just checking you have access to glucose at all times ? Do you have a buddy at work who knows what to do if you go hypo ? Keeping your bg levels at the top end of your target should be your focus to avoid the lows, speak to your DSN about what levels would be ideal for you based on the exercise you are doing each day.

Ultimately it's your call on whether you feel you can continue in your current role, however with the right support there is no reason why you can't continue doing what your doing.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook