Worried, 11.5 and cant get appointment

DeadlyCatch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg !
Hi, first post... /waves

Quick background, i am an obese guy and been told for couple years i was "not quite diabatic" which i guess means borderline. Now i also suffer from anxiety in a big way etc, and well long story short haven't seen GP in about a year, even though i was asked to go in for a review. Consequently bit of an issue with me and my local GP surgery which isn't helping.

Been having smelly urine for past 2-3 weeks and tired eyes and generally feeling knackered so past two weeks i been fearing the worst and guessing i on road to Type 2.

Anyway bought a BG meter in the village chemist 3 days ago. Been testing in morning, 2hrs after meals etc for couple of days. 3hrs after eating right now i am at 11.5, was 7.3 before eating.

Knowing i need to do something i tried to get GP appointment and told 3 weeks before next appt (rural life). Really worried, especially as i live alone etc, anything goes wrong, nobody is calling help!

What should i do, thought about A+E, minor injuries unit etc? But as testing takes time etc, sure they just say see your GP..
Any home remedies i can lower my BG at least, meals or fasting etc..

Arghh always knew this day might come, which sounds even worse.

Worried, even a little scared..

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DeadlyCatch and welcome to the forum

While the blood sugar readings you report are on the high side, they are not in ‘danger’ territory, so on their own I wouldn’t see them as a reason to head for A&E. If you’re feeling otherwise unwell and are worried, then I’d suggest calling 111 for some advice.

In terms of bringing your blood sugars down ahead of your appointment, then reducing the amount of carbohydrates you eat will help with that, as will restricting how often you eat.

Below is a link to some useful information information. You might also want to look at dietdoctor.com for food ideas.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, first post... /waves

Quick background, i am an obese guy and been told for couple years i was "not quite diabatic" which i guess means borderline. Now i also suffer from anxiety in a big way etc, and well long story short haven't seen GP in about a year, even though i was asked to go in for a review. Consequently bit of an issue with me and my local GP surgery which isn't helping.

Been having smelly urine for past 2-3 weeks and tired eyes and generally feeling knackered so past two weeks i been fearing the worst and guessing i on road to Type 2.

Anyway bought a BG meter in the village chemist 3 days ago. Been testing in morning, 2hrs after meals etc for couple of days. 3hrs after eating right now i am at 11.5, was 7.3 before eating.

Knowing i need to do something i tried to get GP appointment and told 3 weeks before next appt (rural life). Really worried, especially as i live alone etc, anything goes wrong, nobody is calling help!

What should i do, thought about A+E, minor injuries unit etc? But as testing takes time etc, sure they just say see your GP..

Welcome to the forum - first thing to say is that your anxiety and fear will help to raise your bgs. When you are anxious it’s quite good to feel you are turning things round and taking some steps - no matter how small - to change things. Best way forward is to look at impact of carbs on your bgs you are testing -which is great news and you need to try and limit carbs to an extent that you only raise your bgs between pre and post food by two.
Checkout
Www.dietdoctor.com
You don’t need to pay just check out the site and the low carb guide to get ideas together.
You can turn things around surprisingly quickly if you tackle the way you’re eating and would be helpful for you to look at anxiety management too. Take care and take it steady.

Reactions: DeadlyCatch

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, first post... /waves

Hey @DeadlyCatch , and welcome,

I'm just going to echo the rest here: You're not about to keel over, but your numbers are higher than you'd ideally want them to be. And stress/anxiety can make your bloodsugars rise too, and conversely, higher bloodsugars make you feel more anxious/depressed/panicky than you would've been with lower levels, so try and keep calm. And if you're able to, take that walk. (My anxiety mostly keeps me indoors during the work week, but that's why I have a little machine at the end of the bed that mimics uphill walks. :) ) In the meantime, read up about T2 and what you yourself can do. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is a quick-start guide (it'll tell you what you can eat and should avoid, and how to test), The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung is worth it's weight in gold and then some, and dietdoctor.com is fab. All that'll tide you over just fine until you can see your GP, if you act on it.

That said: DO see your GP. It's nice if you get the levels down by changing your diet, but that doesn't mean you don't have to be seen. Get the bloodwork done and get checked over. Alright? It's not my hobby either, but it does help.
Hugs,
Jo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some more links to read and reassure yourself with. You can make changes which will help both your bloods and more than likely your weight too. Don’t panic. It’s not a&e time based on those numbers alone.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the others that a level of 11 is not an immediate problem but shows you do need to change the diet and possible have Metformin prescribed. Do reduce the carbs and don't worry about fats and proteins.