Worried about possible diabetes diagnosis

Robee

Hi everyone. First of all I want to apologize if I'm not posting in the right section. I'm currently 21 years old, very skinny, (60kg with 1.77m), no one in my family has diabetes as far as I know. I also want to mention the last couple months I've trashed my body, smoking a lot, not eating regularly, and lack of sleep.

The first symptom I got some time ago was a random sensation of warmth of my legs. It would be a mild burning let's say. Of course I didn't jump to conclusions and after some time it went by itself. However these days I've seen that I have some cuts that hadn't healed in months I think. And to top it all of, recent days I felt a bit dizzy sometimes when standing.

However I do not have any of the big symptoms like hunger, thirst. I was indeed a bit tired and depressed in the last weeks but I gave credit to covid situation.

I know I should go see a doctor right away, I'll do my best to get a consultation after new year. I was just wondering if it more than sure type 2 diabetes or it could be something else.

And if , sadly, this is the right diagnosis, do you think you can live a normal life being diagnosed so young ?

Sorry if my english is sketchy sometimes, not my first language and again sorry if this post is not very relevant to the forum. Thanks !

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See the dr. Many potential causes of your symptoms.

But your description doesn’t sound like a typical type 2 to me. Weight gain is more common than loss. Age is Unusually young. Nerve damage (burning sensation) takes some time to happen.

To answer your specific question though Type 2 is comparatively rare in people so young but they do have the advantage of lots of time and youth to turn things around which is perfectly possible in many/most diagnosed early and often possible even much later in life.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. First of all I want to apologize if I'm not posting in the right section. I'm currently 21 years old, very skinny, (60kg with 1.77m), no one in my family has diabetes as far as I know. I also want to mention the last couple months I've trashed my body, smoking a lot, not eating regularly, and lack of sleep.

The first symptom I got some time ago was a random sensation of warmth of my legs. It would be a mild burning let's say. Of course I didn't jump to conclusions and after some time it went by itself. However these days I've seen that I have some cuts that hadn't healed in months I think. And to top it all of, recent days I felt a bit dizzy sometimes when standing.

However I do not have any of the big symptoms like hunger, thirst. I was indeed a bit tired and depressed in the last weeks but I gave credit to covid situation.

I know I should go see a doctor right away, I'll do my best to get a consultation after new year. I was just wondering if it more than sure type 2 diabetes or it could be something else.

And if , sadly, this is the right diagnosis, do you think you can live a normal life being diagnosed so young ?

Sorry if my english is sketchy sometimes, not my first language and again sorry if this post is not very relevant to the forum. Thanks !
Doesn't sound like diabetes to me, though we certainly can't diagnose on here, even if we did have more to go on. But I do feel you should get a full blood panel done. Especially iron, and your various vitamins (B and D especially), on top of everything else. Get your blood pressure checked, you know, a full work-up. Covid itself (if it is possible you've had it) can be accredited with some of the symptoms you mention, but just being locked up for a long time and depression can tick a few of these boxes too. All in all... Going to your GP is a good idea. It might be something minor that's easily solved. And start eating properly. No more junk at the moment, okay?

Take care of yourself eh.
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the previous posters- see the doctor- hope you can find out what the issue is.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Robee,

Welcome to the forum.

We can't diagnose here. But we can offer support from experience once you know what you're dealing with.
Your symptoms can be more substantiated with a lab report after a check up from a doctor.

With regards to living a normal life with diabetes? (I was diagnosed as a kid.)
My definition of "normal" works for me. Probably not everybody's "bag."

Best wishes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do see a doctor or if that is not easy try to get a pharmacy to do a finger prick test. People wo are young and slim are more likely to be T1 rather than T2 if they do have diabetes. Your symptoms don't immediately point to diabetes so try to see the Dr.