Worried

Geegee19

Hi just after some advice as I'm worried.
I had a hba1c test in July that came back at 5.2.
So over last few days I have tested on a monitor that my friend had.
So the first time I tested, it was an afternoon, 2 hours after eating and the reading was 7.0.
Tested the following morning and hadn't eaten anything and the reading was 6.7 then again in the afternoon at 6.1.
My friend has tried to tell me that these numbers are fine?
When I asked my gp about having another diabetes test (I haven't been to him with these numbers) previously, he said I only had one at end of July and they would only do it annually.
Any advice gratefully received as I am really concerned

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Geegee19 Welcome to the forum :)

NICE recommended target blood glucose level ranges
Target Levels Non-diabetic*
Before meals: 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L
after 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L

Remember we're not doctors here so cannot diagnose but looking at your readings, they look ok, your fasting result or before mealtime result is slightly high but do also bear in mind things like stress, type of food eaten and even the blood glucose meter results can be slightly off. Personally if I was you i'd be keeping an eye on what you're eating and reducing your carbohydrate intake, so breads, rice, pasta, sugars, fruit and keeping active.

Try not to worry as that doesn't help in any way though and do see your GP if this is causing you further anxiety.

Geegee19

Hi
And thanks for your reply!!
I am worried about the fasting result to be honest!!
Don't know whether to see my gp now after what he has said previously!!
I have none of the most common symptoms like extreme thirst, not weeing through the night or tired!! Will check levels this afternoon again!! Wouldn't the afternoon level of 7.0 after eating be higher if I was undiagnosed diabetic?
Would like to add I have ms and have to have liver function tests every three months and would like to think that if I was diabetic it would show up then!! Also last blood tests Dr has tested my amylase levels for pancreas too.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You say your fasting was 6.7 there isn't a set guide for fasting in non diabetics but if you use the pre meal of 4-5.9mmol meters are allowed to be up to 15% error margin so you take 15% of 5.9 that gives an "allowance" so to speak of 0.8-0.9mmol which would take in your 6.7 reading so I wouldn't be too worried and also as Juicyj stress, illness etc can all have an impact on levels xx

Geegee19

You say your fasting was 6.7 there isn't a set guide for fasting in non diabetics but if you use the pre meal of 4-5.9mmol meters are allowed to be up to 15% error margin so you take 15% of 5.9 that gives an "allowance" so to speak of 0.8-0.9mmol which would take in your 6.7 reading so I wouldn't be too worried and also as Juicyj stress, illness etc can all have an impact on levels xx

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Geegee19
Welcome to the forum.
As previously said, above, your 'numbers' wouldn't appear alarming. I would, though, be interested to know what you had eaten during the meals you tested after ... :)