Worries

Laura15

Hi, im 15 and ive had diabetes since i was 4, it never used to bother me and i always try to keep it under control, lately its getting me down and really confusing me. i worry alot because lately my sugar level has been really high in the evening, i have no idea why, ive tryed putting my insulin up in the morning to 45 units but im thinking it could be that im having my evening insulin too early, i have my morning dose at about 7:30 and my evening normally around 5, im on humalin m3 insulin

also i was wondering if there was anyone around my age who has an email or msn then i wouldent mind having someone to talk to cause i dont get the change to talk to anyone about diabetes

thanks x

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Laura, have you tried using the Youth Club section of this forum? I'm sure you will be able to find people of a similar age to chat to :D

I don't use Humalin so not sure I can advise but I'm sure someone else will be along with some tips asap :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Laura15 said:
also i was wondering if there was anyone around my age who has an email or msn then i wouldent mind having someone to talk to cause i dont get the change to talk to anyone about diabetes
thanks x

Hi Laura.
Welcome to the Forum. Have a good look around and if we can help in any way we will do our best. Your other question really needs a Type 1 to help you out, hopefully somebody will be along soon ?

As debloubed stated we have the Youth Club Section, there are a few posters around your age, hopefully you will be able to link up with them.

One thing I would ask you NOT to post on the open Forum is yours or anybody elses e-mail addresses for yours and theirs security. Pm them only please.

iHs

Laura15 said:
Hi, im 15 and ive had diabetes since i was 4, it never used to bother me and i always try to keep it under control, lately its getting me down and really confusing me. i worry alot because lately my sugar level has been really high in the evening, i have no idea why, ive tryed putting my insulin up in the morning to 45 units but im thinking it could be that im having my evening insulin too early, i have my morning dose at about 7:30 and my evening normally around 5, im on humalin m3 insulin

thanks x

Hello Laura

I've never used Humalin m3 but have used various biphasic insulins (twice daily) over about 20years.

I would imagine that by you increasing your morning dose of insulin, your bg levels will start to go somewhat on the low side by late mid morning purely because of the way twice daily insulins work. Unfortunately your bg level will still be on the elevated side early evening as increasing the morning dose won't do much to help you get lower levels. Twice daily insulins tend to be at their strongest effect approx 3.5hrs after the injection is done.

Do you do bg testing 5 or 6 times a day at all? If you can do a test mid afternoon you should be able to work out whether you need to eat a snack or not. What time do you eat a lunchtime meal? The reason why I ask is that you might not be allowing enough time to elapse between your meals. If you eat a snack at 3pm and then eat your evening meal at 5pm that's only a gap of 2hrs so your bg level might be up a bit whereas if you wait until 6pm it might be a bit lower.

If none of the above is relevant you could ask your D consultant or DSN to give you a fast acting insulin pen so that you can give yourself xx units as a backup to the Humalin. This works out fairly well as long as you are willing to test as you will still be able to use twice daily and use fast acting insulin as and when your bg levels are higher than they should be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Laura,

Its maybe time to have a chat with your DSN about a change of routine regarding your insulin. I don't know much about humalin insulin, but I see that you are on two injections per day. I was once on the twice daily injections, but got told to try injecting before each meal, so now I am on four injections a day. Most type 1's are on 4x daily injections, blood glucose levels improve on this routine. iHs reply offers some excellent advice.

Nigel

bigdhughes

Welcome to the Forum Laura. Im 18 and was diagnosed at the age of 5, and i had the same problem as you, although im on the basal bolus regime. Send me a PM about anything you want to talk about :D