Type 2 Worry about hypo at night

Diabetes1640

MY GP got me come off insulin because my HBA1c had improved a lot since I started on low carb diet. Since than no hypos at night but I worry if I would get one if the reading around 3 am goes to 6 mmol or less and snack. Especially if I go from 8.5 mmol to 6ish in a couple of hours. (I suffer from sleep apnoea and Restless Leg Syndrome, wake up five/six times and measure a couple of times in the night). My GP tells me that if I am not taking insulin there cant be a hypo. Please reassure me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MY GP got me come off insulin because my HBA1c had improved a lot since I started on low carb diet. Since than no hypos at night but I worry if I would get one if the reading around 3 am goes to 6 mmol or less and snack. Especially if I go from 8.5 mmol to 6ish in a couple of hours. (I suffer from sleep apnoea and Restless Leg Syndrome, wake up five/six times and measure a couple of times in the night). My GP tells me that if I am not taking insulin there cant be a hypo. Please reassure me.
Are you taking any medication?

Reactions: Little Angel

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Since than no hypos at night but I worry if I would get one if the reading around 3 am goes to 6 mmol or less and snack.

6 is in the middle of normal. Non diabetics can end up in the mid 3s without damage (other than usually feeling hungry). However, there are some medications (eg gliclazide) which can cause hypos, so we really need to know what you are taking to be able to properly reassure you.

But in any case, your liver pumps out sugar when your blood sugar goes low, so a night time hypo is very unlikely to kill or hospitalise you if insulin is not involved.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you aren't on a hypo causing medication then it is highly unlikely you are going to suffer a hypo, even normal peoples levels fluctuate and they can dip below 4 but it isn't dangerous for them, a difference of 2mmol isn't really concerning unless on hypo causing medications like insulin where if below a certain level when testing for bed it would be beneficial to have a small snack

Reactions: Marie 2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have sleep apnea, do you have a CPAP machine? I was issued with one some years ago now and it fixed the problem. I can't understand why you are concerned about hypos - you aren't getting low readings for blood glucose, and you'll be pushing your levels high with the snacking.

brooker

Hi,
You won't go hypo as long as you eat regularly and enough to see you through until your next meal.
Well done that your doctor has taken you off injections.
Stay on a zero based Carb diet - you will see from my other posts, the diet which I have and which sheds weight, without me exercising much at all, but more power to you if you do.
When you don't eat regularly and are hungry when you are driving or out and about, then you are more likely to go hypo, when your body uses the remaining energy it has, runs out and shuts down.
Eat regularly and never go hungry for any reason.
Best Wishes

brooker

Um, I forgot to mention - drink lots of water.
The water here tastes foul, so I flavor it with sugar free cordial to taste.
Best Wishes

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi,
You won't go hypo as long as you eat regularly and enough to see you through until your next meal.
Well done that your doctor has taken you off injections.
Stay on a zero based Carb diet - you will see from my other posts, the diet which I have and which sheds weight, without me exercising much at all, but more power to you if you do.
When you don't eat regularly and are hungry when you are driving or out and about, then you are more likely to go hypo, when your body uses the remaining energy it has, runs out and shuts down.
Eat regularly and never go hungry for any reason.
Best Wishes

Provided the OP isn't on any blood glucose lowering medication then the liver will release glucose and stop this from happening. The body will not shut down.

Reactions: kaylz91