Type 1 Worrying about highs.

Nadia19

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has experienced this, I usually eat and take my insulin right before my meal. However the past week I’ve noticed some serious spikes, 10mmol before meal, rocketing up to 16 within the hour and taking Another hour before the insulin starts to work. I take birth control, day 15 into my menstrual cycle and I take long periods, it’s a drastic change as before it wasn’t like this, no change to food I eat mostly the same things every day to try control this.

Nadia19

I also am 68kg. I take 6 units levimir at night holds me steady. Upped my day time basal From 8 to 10 today.

Nadia19

Last night I had 40g of carbs, 10 pre meal. Up to 14mmol with 1:10 ratio. This morning woke up at 8 with being at 7 during the night. Does this sound like basal being wrong . Sorry for all the questions I’m just paranoid

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
How confident are you that those highs are correct? Just changed to a dexcom G7 and my "highs" are way higher than my glucometer.

Nadia19

Yep I was checking my Libre it was a lot over what my glucometer was saying. It was only 3 weeks ago I was saying I think I’m taking too much insulin I’m not really sure what to do at the moment what I’m doing wrong x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like @EllieM i find my insulin resistance increases when my levels are high (for me, high is double figures - over 10mmol/l). This has two affects - I need more insulin to reduce my levels and insulin takes longer to start working.
Therefore, my pre-bolus time depends upon my BG.
If my BG is over 9mmol/l, I pre bolus at least 30 minutes (up to an hour if convenient), before eating.
If my BG is in the 4s or low 5s, I bolus after eating.
if my BG is between 6 and 9, I bolus before eating.

I avoid bolusing and eating immediately if my bg is over 10 because I know this will cause my BG to spike much higher.

Do you know why your BG is over 10mmol/l before your meal? Have you done a basal test to check your basal is enough or whether you did not take enough bolus with your previous meal? Or was the rise due to some stress or exercise?
Our insulin dose can vary from day to day depending upon things like stress, exercise (exercise can affect BG for 48 hours), illness (including fight a bug which never has symptoms beyond a high BG), time of the month, weather, … So it should not be surprising (although it still surprises me) that we need to tweak our dose.

My advice would be to focus on that 10mmol/l before your meal. if you can reduce this, the post meal spike will come down.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thought. Are you taking a correction dose with the meal insulin if it is as high as 10 before eating? As this should ensure you are lower before eating again.

Nadia19

9 before tonight’s meal which is an improvement . Could’ve been around 7/8 but I had to have a bite of chocolate

Nadia19

Like @EllieM i find my insulin resistance increases when my levels are high (for me, high is double figures - over 10mmol/l). This has two affects - I need more insulin to reduce my levels and insulin takes longer to start working.
Therefore, my pre-bolus time depends upon my BG.
If my BG is over 9mmol/l, I pre bolus at least 30 minutes (up to an hour if convenient), before eating.
If my BG is in the 4s or low 5s, I bolus after eating.
if my BG is between 6 and 9, I bolus before eating.

I avoid bolusing and eating immediately if my bg is over 10 because I know this will cause my BG to spike much higher.

Do you know why your BG is over 10mmol/l before your meal? Have you done a basal test to check your basal is enough or whether you did not take enough bolus with your previous meal? Or was the rise due to some stress or exercise?
Our insulin dose can vary from day to day depending upon things like stress, exercise (exercise can affect BG for 48 hours), illness (including fight a bug which never has symptoms beyond a high BG), time of the month, weather, … So it should not be surprising (although it still surprises me) that we need to tweak our dose.

My advice would be to focus on that 10mmol/l before your meal. if you can reduce this, the post meal spike will come down.

This is a great reply. Makes a lot of sense, thank you I have read it and automatically seen things that I haven’t being doing. Upped my basal today, and I’m high in morning not covering all the carbs I’m eating. This is made a lot of sense x