Worst date ever!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks RRB, I started checking out the forum today and it's nice to read people's opinions in here.

Totally agree with you, it's definitely a personality thing. Like you, I keep my diabetes private, I don't want to be known as "that diabetic girl", I am so much more than that. ;)

We rule diabetes, it doesn't rule us :meh:

Thank you

RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I found the best thing to do was just to get on and do what I needed to do insulin wise and ignore the stupid reactions from friends. They soon got used to it as I refused to go to a dirty public toilet to inject. As for when I met my fiancee I was just totally up front and honest with him, in fact my words were if you don't want to see this then look away, if its something that makes you cringe or squeamish then please refrain from any disgusted outburst, this is something I need to do multiple times a day and therefore if it isn't something you can respectfully deal with then I'm afraid we may as well end the date here and now. I'm a very straight down the line kind of person so that may seem a tad harsh but there was no point in beating around the bush about it, anyone who wants to be with you will understand and if anything will respectfully look away or be interested in your condition.
Don't let this woman be the marker for how other ladies will react, some are just childish and down right disrespectful!

Reactions: 2 people

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
So sorry to hear of your experience, this certainly wasn't / isn't the normal thing that happens. Chin up bad just think she just wasn't worth it, you need to find someone who will / could support you in living with diabetes. I'm not suggesting they are there fir every blood test etc, but someone with a bit of compassion for you. Next time you go on a date, perhaps eat before you go out and meet for a drink or just say casually - you're ok about needles aren't you? Then see what happens ... Often when you're dating people are stressed anyway about what to say, what to wear, how's my hair (females probably only) etc, etc,, so anything out of the ordinary may freak someone out. Just keep it casual and they may not even notice ! Best of luck, keep us posted on progress.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My funniest one was when I injected in front of my friend's seven-year-old. Her eyes got really big, and she said, "Ooooh! It's just like the X-files." Her mother looked like she wanted to bury her, but I just burst out laughing. It still makes me laugh years later. I really don't care. I am so confident about it, I just laugh at any kind of reaction I see. Of course, that probably stops the drama queens before they get into their stride. I was surprised when someone talked about wanting to hide the tubing on their pump. I was like, "Loooooook! Won't you just look at this! Oh God, it's so great, I love it. Tie me down!"

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The first time I met my sister in law we were all out for a meal, everyone knew about my diabetes, I never hide the fact and at the point I was on MDI, pulls out needle to inject and my sister in law passed out.... I had no idea she was a needle phobe n she had no idea I was going to do that... Was bit dramatic at the time but I love to laugh about it :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
About 10 days ago I get a call from my grown up son. He knows a guy, a nice guy who's on his own who is a bit fed up being alone.................... so my son said oh my mum is on her own, showed him a photo of me taken with him on my birthday, he liked me. I was laughing and said oh no don't be daft. Anyhow, I said have you mentioned that I am type 1 diabetic, son said no, the guy was there so son told him and the guy said that's fine, it's okay............................never did hear from him (he was going to message me) so there you go. At least I now know what sort of person this guy is ( even though I am 100% sure he would come up with a stupid excuse :rolleyes:) so still on my own and it looks like it's going to stay that way :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Close call, RRB, close call !:eek:

Thankfully not everyone is the same....there is still hope ! At the very least, may I interest you in my Crazy Cat Lady Training Program ? It all starts with this :-

image.jpg

Reactions: 12 people

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww this thread has really made me giggle!! (not that you've had bad experiences, but how overly dramatic other folk can be) I've not had a bad date experiance yet, I'm only 7 weeks diabetic and don't get to date often! But I was out on Saturday night and the time came for the injections and like a lot of others I'm not ashamed and certainly not hiding in the bathroom so I stood at the side of the bar and done what I had to. This drunk shouts at me across the bar "aww are you diabetic?" everyone stops and turns to look! I was mortified but just said "yup, what gave it away!" So over he comes and proceeds to tell me his dad is diabetic but he never takes his insulin and how long have I had it. When I told him a few weeks I was told that apparently that can't be true because no one that soon in can inject in public with no hesitation! He just wouldn't leave me alone! I have no issues telling folk I'm diabetic and insulin dependent. If they have an issue then that's their problem and they aren't worth the effort!

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
When I was diagnosed 20 years ago, people I was at school asked if they could catch diabetes from me haha !!! never had a bad date experience and my now husband is just the best comes to clinic appointments when he can, came with me on my pump course he finds it all really interesting. You will find a great down to earth girl who will be happy with you as a whole and look after you :)

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friends think it is a mild illness that doesn't really matter and that is just as annoying. I had one friend similarly make a scene in a restaurant despite the fact I was injecting beneath a table and she couldn't even see me. Her boyfriend told her to stop being pathetic and I haven't bothered speaking to her for 2 years.

Reactions: 6 people
G

gemma6549

I have this problem with my dad (who is also type 1) and my sister who ask me not to test my blood or inject in public. Needless to say I do it anyway. I'm not embarrassed and people who are just aren't worth my time. I wouldn't ask a disabled person not to go out in their wheelchair!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Close call, RRB, close call !:eek:

Thankfully not everyone is the same....there is still hope ! At the very least, may I interest you in my Crazy Cat Lady Training Program ? It all starts with this :-

View attachment 12474

I want them all,:joyful: and animals don't care if you have health conditions, a well paid job, pretty, ugly, fat or skinny, they just want TLC, warmth, food and a loving, caring owner. No wonder I am a big lover of
animals <3 :cat:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To the "in the old days, we hid our condition for etiquette" argument, I must have been short on etiquette. Throughout the 70s and 80s I regularly injected in public places, and refused to go into public toilets to stick a needle in myself. I got LOTS of disapproval. But that was because in the 70s and 80s we used syringes, and so did heroin addicts! I lost count of the times I looked some tutting old biddy in the eye, and said, "I'm a diabetic, not a heroin addict. You should be ashamed for stereotyping, not me for needing insulin." I was a bit militant!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And people can get over needle phobias. I can't get over my diabetes.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I knew it was time to part company when a perfectly nice man I'd been out with a fair time kept referring to injecting as "shooting up" -think 'Trainspotting' , then announced that me injecting any where near to him "scared him", in fact his words were "you scare me" -on reflection he might not have been referring just to insulin injections! :confused:

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You were very good to stay so calm. I think I would have said something. Silly cow.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
About 10 days ago I get a call from my grown up son. He knows a guy, a nice guy who's on his own who is a bit fed up being alone.................... so my son said oh my mum is on her own, showed him a photo of me taken with him on my birthday, he liked me. I was laughing and said oh no don't be daft. Anyhow, I said have you mentioned that I am type 1 diabetic, son said no, the guy was there so son told him and the guy said that's fine, it's okay............................never did hear from him (he was going to message me) so there you go. At least I now know what sort of person this guy is ( even though I am 100% sure he would come up with a stupid excuse :rolleyes:) so still on my own and it looks like it's going to stay that way :bag:
You never can tell.....::)) ((((hugs))))