Worst date ever!

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never injected myself on a first date, that would be so awkward...

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I tend to inject at the dinner table when I'm in a restaurant but I do it as discreetly as I can in my tummy/arms. Most of my male friends (doesn't bother the girls) LOVE to watch! Makes me giggle! :) My 10 year old niece & nephew love to watch too. I don't hide the fact I'm diabetic from people, my other half probably didn't know straight away when we first met (we were only teenagers back then!), not until a little while later. We never went on an official 'date' as we were friends for a few months before we got together so by that time he already knew I was diabetic. Thankfully it didn't put him off! Lol! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife when we first met initiated that I stay the night.. (Fair play.) ;) So I said "you'll have to give me half an hour while I pop home & get my Glargine..." (As you would not expecting to get lucky.)
The look of relief on her face when I explained I was Diabetic.. God knows what she thought I had in mind with the Lantus... :p

Reactions: 8 people

hahopson90

She wasn't worth the date then in my eyes. I don't broadcast when I take my insulin ect but new people I meet I mention that I need to inject and they don't have a problem its other when out and about. E.g. the park and having food no table to "hide under" so need to inject openly and the looks I get off other parents is just wrong.
I dont hold my tongue anymore and saying "would you like some its free and keeps you alive" they soon look away
Hope you don't have a bad experience again though

Marty10000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told to inject elsewhere when out and about, some people are needle phobic so I can see why they would be uncomfortable, but I would expect people to be mature about it and not make a scene.

I generally ask if everyone I am with is OK if I inject when i need to, and if someone has a problem with it I go to the bathroom or round a corner so I don't upset anyone. I agree it should not be the diabetics responsibility to cater for other peoples issues but I suffer from a phobia and I appreciate people not triggering it so I see it as give and take :)

I have been dragged out of a club by security for injecting in the bathroom once, I did point out dealers are unlikely to distribute illegal drugs in Novo pens. After showing them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_pen on my phone they let me go, I tried to get free drinks for the night for the hassle but it didn't work :(

I guess the answer to these issues is education, let people know what you do and why it is necessary, and let them decide what to do.