Worth Buying A FreeStyle Libre?

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A question for FreeStyle Libre users, I'm about to start a trial at work to see if I can carry on in my duties as a type 1. I'm obviously going to have to check my glucose levels at least every couple of hours. I've been type 1 for a few years now and have good control, but the idea of watching the timer counting down to giving me the result sounds a bit scarey when a low reading could mean the end of your career, but if the Libre works at least you would have a warning of which way your glucose is heading. So, Is it worth forking out for a Libre? Do they give accurate readings and do they do what it says on the tin? If you double check the Libre with a standard monitor, do they give similar readings? If they do, they would be worth forking out the money for! Cheers for reading.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You've likely seen this thread already but it's worth a skim through to get some user feedback:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/

I've only been using the Libre since last Saturday, the first sensor was way out and had to change it on Tuesday, but so far the second sensor has been really good and the readings from the sensor are near enough the same as my bg readings.

The Libre uses graphs and trend arrows to show which way your levels are heading, so it can warn you of potential lows which you wouldn't get with a bg meter.

The question would be whether your employer would accept the readings from the Libre so you can carry on your duties, the DVLA won't accept the Libre readings as prove that you are safe to drive and you have to do a bg check before getting behind the wheel if your insulin dependant.

Reactions: 4 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Noblehead has said.

90+% of the time the Libre will be within the tolerances any BG meter has to be within - so if you compare any 2 meters to each other there will be differences, therefore there will be differences between your current meter and a Libre (if you get one) - don't get hung up on that though.

The point of the libre is to allow you to see what your Blood levels are doing more often and without needing to prick your finger, and which way its heading, provides a historical graph of your levels which helps maintaining good levels etc.

But as Noblehead has said it can't replace a BG meter where driving is concerned.

Is it worth it? IMHO yes!

Reactions: 4 people

Bonnie12

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi this is my 1st wk with the Freestyle Libre and so far the reader & sensor are fine. However I can't download info from reader on to my computer.
I downloaded the Freestyle software and it worked fine on day one. Since then no joy.
Contacted Abbot 3 times now and just get fobbed off. Some of their suggestions are obviously just to get me off the phone. Call get escalated but no one ever calls back.
Anyone else had problems with software?

Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Garr, Have you considered the Dexcom G4. They are not that much more expensive in terms of annual costs, especially when you consider the extended life of the sensors. Appreciate you are asking about the Libre, but my experience is with the Dexcom. However, in either case, the accuracy is not that important. You should view the mountain of information in terms of a trend and consider, where your BGs were where they are now and where they are going.
Essentially, a finger tip test stating that you are 5mmol means nothing other than you are in range, but doesn't answer the question of whether you are rising or falling. Even if the CGM happens to be out by 20% or more, what it does do is answer that question, and if for example you have been steady for the last 20 minutes, and have done nothing to affect you BGs (no insulin food exercise etc) then you can be fairly sure you have nothing to worry about. If however you can see that rise or fall, you can assess what the circumstances are, take a finger prick to confirm and act accordingly with insulin food etc.
The accuracy of my Dexcom ranges from absolutely spot on to sometimes 20% out, but like I say, I don't let that concern me too much. Hope this helps, Paul

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@paulliljeros The reason most people elect to use the Libre is the upfront cost of the Dexccom. £150 vs £1000 is a significant difference.

@Bonnie12, have you uninstalled and reinstalled the software? You won't lose data if you do this.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bonnie12 Not using a Mac are you? there may be something about the newer OS causing this sort of issue?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly the biggest spanner in the works of you buying a Libre is the waiting list.

I put my name down and waited over 6 months before I could buy.
Others have waited less, but if your employer is monitoring you from now on, you may well find the monitoring trial period is over before your Libre arrives.

However, to answer your question:
Yes, it would give you plenty of info, and would enable you to provide your employer with printed out proof of your level of control.
Of course, it will show up every little glitch in your control too... so that could be a double edged sword.
And it would need them to actually understand what they were seeing - which would require some serious education of them by yourself. :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bonnie12 Not using a Mac are you? there may be something about the newer OS causing this sort of issue?
Yeah, I'm having bad problems since upgrading to El Capitan. Basically, when it refuses to recognise the reader I have to reboot and all is happy again. Haven't figured out yet what causes it to fail recognition.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Waiting list may be down to about 6weeks now - @Garr I'll PM you

EDIT: just tried a PM and I'm not allowed for some reason

Bonnie12

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, I'm having bad problems since upgrading to El Capitan. Basically, when it refuses to recognise the reader I have to reboot and all is happy again. Haven't figured out yet what causes it to fail recognition.
Tried rebooting as well Robert. Strange thing is it recognises the reader. All buttons inactive.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for all the replies, sounds like exactly what I need, but you're right about the waiting list. I've only just heard about it, that'll teach me for no using the forum for a while!

Braeburn8

Hi this is my 1st wk with the Freestyle Libre and so far the reader & sensor are fine. However I can't download info from reader on to my computer.
I downloaded the Freestyle software and it worked fine on day one. Since then no joy.
Contacted Abbot 3 times now and just get fobbed off. Some of their suggestions are obviously just to get me off the phone. Call get escalated but no one ever calls back.

Hi,
Yes I have had similar problems.

I run the software on two Mac computers.

As the Mac version under the host operating system OSX, and Windows version and in a "Parallels" Virtual Machine on the same Macs.
I get a similar problem to your own observation on both machines when run directly on the host Operating system. and a more useable result when running the software on the virtual machine.

Running on the host OSX Operating System:

Following installation the app detects the Reader and all is well producing reports, and exporting the data (tab separated) read in text edit, and then copied to Excel, or Numbers.
If I then remove the reader usb connection, and re-connect the App fails to see the Reader.
Similarly if I quit the App and re-run the same problem occurs.
Makes no difference if the reader is attached before or after the software is run. (Occasionally on a re-run of the software the opening panel reports the reader still attached; when it is not).

My work around is to delete (trash) the app and re-install. Possibly slightly quicker than a machine re-boot?
I have not tried removing every file the app is associated with, as I suspect that some data may be lost, which would waste time re-typing; e.g the user profile, or other information. So far I have not lost any data re-installing the whole package of software.

Running on Parallels Virtual Machines on the Macs:

On the same Macs, I also use Parallels, running a copy of Windows Vista.
The Windows version of the software runs in the Parallels Virtual Machine on the Macs and runs correctly with no need for the delete and reinstall, or reboot, on any removals and reconnections of the reader. (I have set parallels to ask what machine to connect any usb device to when inserted in the Mac hardware port). I do not think it wold make any difference if I was running any other edition of Windows. The problem seems confined to the software's inability to correctly detect the re-insertion, or removal of the USB connected reader.

Overall when running on the host operating system directly deletion and reinstall of the software each time it is used may be a little quicker than a reboot for me?

I have e-mailed Abbott support and have not received any reply to date. I am not holding my breath.

While perhaps nice to have, the software is not really worth all this effort, poor presentation, and visualisation of the data is all you get for your efforts.
Possibly more interesting for Abbott?
The software does silently accesses a remote, secure ,website when you run it and do not have your security setting set high enough to detect and report and optionally deny the attempted connection.
I do not know the motive for the attempted connection.

Good luck with running the Freestyle Libre software, and hope my story may have helped.

Braeburn8

Hi,
Yes I have had similar problems

I may have discovered a quick(ish) way to get the software to reconnect to the reader.

With the software running I disconnect the reader.

I reconnect and receive the "reader not connected" panel message form the Libre software.

I then re-run the software installation package, there is no need to delete or remove the app, when I reach the language selection panel the Libre software running in the background connects to the reader. I then abandon the software re-installation and all is well. A least until the reader is disconnected and or the software is closed and re-opened.

I do not know if this may be successful on a Windows machine.

Good luck with running the Freestyle Libre software, and hope my story may have helped.