Would bobybuilding be good for your control of diabetes

duguid88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people and poachers! Just generally people that don't care about wildlife/ planet etc
Hi all

Just wandering if any1 knows if body building and a body building diet would be good for your type 1 diabetes, obviuosly i know the weight training would be good but was just wandering about all the supplements etc because i can imagine there packed to the reem full of glucose etc

Cheers :thumbup:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You don't need supplements. Get your protein from meat. (Although there are plenty of low-carb protein shakes).

No-one knows more about low-carbing than the bodybuilding community...

Google LeanGains.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll second that. I'm a T1, I play rugby and do weights a few times a week. I've dabbled with supplements and found that they do affect my levels. Some push it up (whey protein) some down (creatine). I dont use them any more, just the protein in my diet, which isn't much. I dont eat meat every day, but go through a lot if pulses. That got me from 11.5 to 14.5 stone.

Find a good hypertrophy routine. I do 5 sets of 10 reps supersetted with something else on the same muscle group. I'll do that for two muscle groups in the same session.

There was a Horizon programme recently that said a good diet will make more of a difference than spending loads of money on supplements.

As far as it being good for diabetes I'd say yes. It does help to keep my sugar levels regulated, but nothing beats cardio.

betic

hi..im a type 2 and ex rugby player.
i do weight training 5 nights a week and yes i do supplement both with whey protein (low carb) and creatine and glutamine and fish oils.
all brands effect people in different ways regarding whey protein so try some and see how your sugar sits when on it.
i have no problems with any low carb wheys but some of the cheaper ones tend to gain fat easier than others, which is something to avoid really. i think this is down to the fillers they use like soy powder etc.
creatine i am just fine on and cycle 8 weekly, with no loading phase.
glutamine i use 5 grams a day for the first 8 weeks and then a 2.5 gram maintanence dose three or four times weekly.
good luck with yours