Would you consider doing this?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When my husband died back in March with all the snow I went home from the hospital and immediately gave all his warm jumpers and coats to friends that going out nightly to the homeless.

Please help these homeless persons...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree it is an emotive and important topic. I also rather think you made some erroneous assumptions and judgements about me.

I have shopped at a giveaway store -- one that gives away clothing and food and other items. One must apply and qualify to shop there, and is given vouchers to use as scrip. I qualified by income level; I did not just walk in and take advantage of an inexpensive brand-name item I saw in my size. I have also qualified for food at local church food pantries.

Of course there is some self-consciousness about shopping at a giveaway shop. Just as there is in pulling out a food-stamps card at the grocery store where most customers pay with credit cards. In fact, I believe that is why instead of food stamps the government now distributes food cards that swipe like a regular credit or debit card.

It's very much an "us" and "them" thing. Shopping for designer clothes at a consignment shop is not like shopping at a giveaway shop. People who use food-stamp cards are looked upon by many other people as lazy parasites. I have twice in my life been only a few dollars away from being homeless or living in my car.

That's why when people criticize the federal government in my country I am quick to reply that it subsidizes the rent on my home, helps me buy food, and, once I turned 65, covers my medical care (something it should have done from the day I was born).

I'm glad to read that you realize that many of us in this income bracket are not crazy, lazy, or criminals!

Saskia - To be clear. I wasn't judging anyone for anything they do or don't do. I have never heard of a giveaway shop, and was trying to clarify if you meant a charity shop or literally a giveaway store. I knw you're not in UK, and sometimes even common words or phrases can mean different things.

Being perfectly candid, I saw the Tweet, linking to the article on Twitterr, and thought of the numbers of folks on here who regularly have to shed clothes, due to changing sizes and thought it could be a fantastic thing for public spirited people to do.

I apologise if you felt anything was being said to you, aside from that request for clarification (which you have been good enough to provide now), it wasn't, and no judgement was intended of anyone.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When my father died in 1963 my mother and I were destitute my mother had not a penny to her name she went to the social services and was given the princely sum of 7 shillings and six pence about £9 in todays money I think this was to keep the two of us for a week pay the rent? and by food and electricity and gas I wish there had been food banks and charity shops we could of accessed back then that is one reason all my clothes that no longer were usable by me went to a charity shop and I would be quite happy to wrap a coat round a tree or lamppost now because I remember what it was like to have nothing.

Reactions: DCUKMod