Would you consider doing this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know where best to post this, for maximum viewing, so I've turned it into a question, albeit not dirrctly diabetes related, but her goes.

Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I can across this story: https://www.tsb.co.uk/local-pride/w...cid=14dec_coatsforthehomeless_twitter_organic , and watched the embedded video.

Coincidentally, we have some stuff to go to the charty shop in the coming days, but I may consider diveting a couple of fleece hoodies and do this in our local town. I hope it doesn't breech and local by-laws, but if it does, I'll divert what I can to the local homeless shelter.

I wondered if those amongst us who are or have rrecently been replacing elements of our wardobes we might have either grown tired of, or grown out of, could consider doing the same.

It must just be the most dire time of the year to be without a secure roof over our heads, with warmth and comfort.

Thank you to anyone who might be moved to help.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a lovely idea! I have become too small for a lot of my clothes over the last 19 months since diagnosis. I don’t have any big clothes left as I have already donated them to charity shops. Also as it was getting expensive to get all new smaller sizes I have bought from charity shops too. Would definitely consider this if I had a jumper or coat going spare.

Reactions: alphabeta

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What a grand idea.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sometimes in London people collect old coats at tube stations to distribute to the homeless. Look out for them if you use the tube...

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
The local hod pice shop in my village have a large box for anyone wishing to donate good quality used clothes for the homeless.

Reactions: Diakat

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Mine have gone into the clothing bank at the church in our village.

Were all of a similar mind.

Reactions: Gannet

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently working thru' Christmas helping my local organisations reach out to the homeless with clothing and food. The idea in the article is great, I've seen it in action in New York and several other cities.

Your old clothes have a value to the homeless, even the gifting of a quilt or blankets. A quick search on the web for organisations in your local area will give you the leads.

Being charitable isn't hard, it's being human, and it takes but a moment.

Reactions: Diakat and Indy51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently working thru' Christmas helping my local organisations reach out to the homeless with clothing and food. The idea in the article is great, I've seen it in action in New York and several other cities.

Your old clothes have a value to the homeless, even the gifting of a quilt or blankets. A quick search on the web for organisations in your local area will give you the leads.

Being charitable isn't hard, it's being human, and it takes but a moment.

Good on you for working through the holidays

It's so true that kindness costs nothing.

Reactions: UserABC2021
D

Deleted member 308541

I gave most of my good shirts to the Salvoes and St Vinnies a couple of years ago.

I have also given away blankets and old sweaters to the RSPCA for their animal shelter, so the dogs and cats do not have to sleep on cold cement during winter time.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lovely ministry.

I've lost 25 pounds this year and have donated my now-too-big clothes to our local thrift shop. Sometimes I think it may be easier for someone in need of a coat to find one on a tree than deal with the humiliation of going to a giveaway shop. There are shelters here that collect clothing for their clients and of course those are given away for free.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just wish people wouldn't give away absolute trash to the Salvos and undo the hard work of others when they have to clean or just throw away junk

D

Deleted member 308541

Just wish people wouldn't give away absolute trash to the Salvos and undo the hard work of others when they have to clean or just throw away junk
Some of the local collecting bins have either had stuff stolen from, or been filled with household garbage here in Bundy during the night time. #$^%@*(<!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some of the local collecting bins have either had stuff stolen from, or been filled with household garbage here in Bundy during the night time. #$^%@*(<!

That happened where I used to live too, so that they took the bins away and you had to drive to the actual stores to drop off donations. But there were stores in or close to most neighborhoods, so no big deal. And some agencies had regular schedules when their truck would come to your neighborhood to pick up donations you bagged for them.

@Contralto, I love the idea of buying new jackets to donate. That is like Toys for Tots -- you donate only new toys.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know where best to post this, for maximum viewing, so I've turned it into a question, albeit not dirrctly diabetes related, but her goes.

Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I can across this story: https://www.tsb.co.uk/local-pride/w...cid=14dec_coatsforthehomeless_twitter_organic , and watched the embedded video.

Coincidentally, we have some stuff to go to the charty shop in the coming days, but I may consider diveting a couple of fleece hoodies and do this in our local town. I hope it doesn't breech and local by-laws, but if it does, I'll divert what I can to the local homeless shelter.

I wondered if those amongst us who are or have rrecently been replacing elements of our wardobes we might have either grown tired of, or grown out of, could consider doing the same.

It must just be the most dire time of the year to be without a secure roof over our heads, with warmth and comfort.

Thank you to anyone who might be moved to help.
I felt bad for a moment because I'd already gotten rid of the clothes that had become too big for me. Then realised I'd already given them to charities. Duh. ;) If I've only worn it for a season, sure... Why trash perfectly good clothes when they might keep someone else warm, eh. :) Lovely idea!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lovely ministry.

I've lost 25 pounds this year and have donated my now-too-big clothes to our local thrift shop. Sometimes I think it may be easier for someone in need of a coat to find one on a tree than deal with the humiliation of going to a giveaway shop. There are shelters here that collect clothing for their clients and of course those are given away for free.

I don't know whether by giveaway shop you mean buy from a charity shop? In my town there are (live everywhere else it seems) several charity shops, raising funds for all sorts, from PDSA, to a local hospice, to Cancer UK, to the local homeless shelter. Two in particular are very, very good indeed.

A couple of years ago, when taking a couple of bags in to our local Age UK shop, I spotted a jacket I liked the look of. It looked unworn, Jaeger, in my size (yay!) and a couple of pounds. Needless to say it joined my wardrobe.

I think these days charity shops are different to how they used to be. If you mean a truly giveaway shop, then I imagine warmth would trump pride quickly in colder climes.

However it is, I think, for myself it's always worth remembering that not everyone who becomes homelessness does so by reckless, criminal or unhealthy behaviour. A goodly percentage are former service people who, in their day, were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, for me and you.

Saskia, please don't think I'm telling you off or chastising your post in any way. It's just such an emotive and important topic.

Reactions: UserABC2021

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know whether by giveaway shop you mean buy from a charity shop? In my town there are (live everywhere else it seems) several charity shops, raising funds for all sorts, from PDSA, to a local hospice, to Cancer UK, to the local homeless shelter. Two in particular are very, very good indeed.

A couple of years ago, when taking a couple of bags in to our local Age UK shop, I spotted a jacket I liked the look of. It looked unworn, Jaeger, in my size (yay!) and a couple of pounds. Needless to say it joined my wardrobe.

I think these days charity shops are different to how they used to be. If you mean a truly giveaway shop, then I imagine warmth would trump pride quickly in colder climes.

However it is, I think, for myself it's always worth remembering that not everyone who becomes homelessness does so by reckless, criminal or unhealthy behaviour. A goodly percentage are former service people who, in their day, were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, for me and you.

Saskia, please don't think I'm telling you off or chastising your post in any way. It's just such an emotive and important topic.

I admit I don't generally give to charity shops as experience shows me that homeless folk can't afford to go there. Paying attention to your local community often results in finding 'clothing drives' etc that are being organised throughout the year. These clothes are distributed by volunteers directly to the homeless, no financial reward involved.

Becoming homeless is not hard, especially in a society that cares less and less about the struggles that many face daily. Over the years I have collected many stories on 'how' someone came to be where they are and I can honestly say it is rare to find someone who you would consider 'deserves it'. The turning away from defined mental health schemes decades ago has meant that many people who would have been helped are left beside the road. The soldier is a common meme today and is very true, so is the autistic teen, the abused spouse, or the girl that was passed from family member to member. When you realise that they believe living on the streets is safer than being at home then you will see the cracks in a society that claims to care.

Last year someone told me that being homeless meant people failed because the 'system' works. I chose to take them on a walk thru' the city centre on the pretext of shopping. After a couple of hours I ask them "How many homeless did we pass?". They couldn't think of one, even though I knew we had walked within six feet of eight homeless people. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I admit I don't generally give to charity shops as experience shows me that homeless folk can't afford to go there. Paying attention to your local community often results in finding 'clothing drives' etc that are being organised throughout the year. These clothes are distributed by volunteers directly to the homeless, no financial reward involved.

Becoming homeless is not hard, especially in a society that cares less and less about the struggles that many face daily. Over the years I have collected many stories on 'how' someone came to be where they are and I can honestly say it is rare to find someone who you would consider 'deserves it'. The turning away from defined mental health schemes decades ago has meant that many people who would have been helped are left beside the road. The soldier is a common meme today and is very true, so is the autistic teen, the abused spouse, or the girl that was passed from family member to member. When you realise that they believe living on the streets is safer than being at home then you will see the cracks in a society that claims to care.

Last year someone told me that being homeless meant people failed because the 'system' works. I chose to take them on a walk thru' the city centre on the pretext of shopping. After a couple of hours I ask them "How many homeless did we pass?". They couldn't think of one, even though I knew we had walked within six feet of eight homeless people. There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Agree. A family member very close to me spent some time on the streets due to mental health issues and believed they were saving us from their issues ;( Charity shop prices in the U.K. have become ridiculously out of range of such people. Primark is often cheaper!

I love the idea of direct to needy donations but have to say in some areas cast off clothing drapped all over trees would become its own issue. This post has inspired me to look for and promote local scheme this winter.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes, finding and supporting just one or two individuals and providing a kind word, a warm drink, and a sandwich of their own choosing, on a regular basis is a gift in itself. Also support to local organised schemes by donating items they know are needed, or funds to provide the right sort of support that those working at the forefront have researched, can literally save and transform lives.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wholly agree that most charity shops are so variable in their pricing strategies, it must be hard.

In our town, the local Cancer Research shop has 3 prices - £1, £2 or £3, and the homeless shelter cloting shop (they have a furniture shop too), has two prices - £2 and £3. It certainly must make pricing up easy and they certain seem to have a rapid turnover.

I agaree gifting is better, but just saying some are very modestly priced.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree it is an emotive and important topic. I also rather think you made some erroneous assumptions and judgements about me.

I have shopped at a giveaway store -- one that gives away clothing and food and other items. One must apply and qualify to shop there, and is given vouchers to use as scrip. I qualified by income level; I did not just walk in and take advantage of an inexpensive brand-name item I saw in my size. I have also qualified for food at local church food pantries.

Of course there is some self-consciousness about shopping at a giveaway shop. Just as there is in pulling out a food-stamps card at the grocery store where most customers pay with credit cards. In fact, I believe that is why instead of food stamps the government now distributes food cards that swipe like a regular credit or debit card.

It's very much an "us" and "them" thing. Shopping for designer clothes at a consignment shop is not like shopping at a giveaway shop. People who use food-stamp cards are looked upon by many other people as lazy parasites. I have twice in my life been only a few dollars away from being homeless or living in my car.

That's why when people criticize the federal government in my country I am quick to reply that it subsidizes the rent on my home, helps me buy food, and, once I turned 65, covers my medical care (something it should have done from the day I was born).

I'm glad to read that you realize that many of us in this income bracket are not crazy, lazy, or criminals!